Bowery Show

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

I was at this show too and don't know of any recordings of it. Yeah, he broke a couple strings that night. Stopped Hanging On To You about a minute into the song when he broke a string. Said something about the song being about false starts anyway.

Post by Sticky »

Doesn't look like it's available. Sorry. First time I saw Jay it wasn't recorded either.

farewellangelina

Post by farewellangelina »

ah, this was the first Jay show I saw. Didn't know much about him, had just purchased TB like a day or two before. I was so impressed I went the following night, and well.... It's nice to be reminded of the specific moments, I think he actually broke the string twice. They did a kick ass version of Love You To. Anyone have a recording of this?

dt

Post by dt »

yeah, and if someone has the setlist from the 7/9 Bowery show, could you post that as well.
Thanks

professor_squishy

Bowery show setlist

Post by professor_squishy »

Could someone please post the setlist for the Bowery (7/10) show? A friend of mine attended who was not familiar with Jay's music and wanted to know what songs he played so she can pursue the appropriate CDs.

Thanks in advance.

gb68

loose string

Post by gb68 »

I could walk to the Tap Room from my house, I wouldn't mind that at all.
Actually, I'd like to see the Cross Street Station remodeled and reopened.
It was a happening spot back in the day. If they could expand the room to include the former Chinese restaurant space next door, it could really be somethin'.

I thought the show at the Bowery Ballroom was really good. My wife and friend enjoyed it, too. The group was very professional, and they kept the momentum going. Everyone played well, but I thought the drummer was particularly hot that night.

Jay Farrar's humor was in evidence, as well. At one point, he broke a string during "Hanging on to you" right where he sings "couldn't make it last." It was an important, lower string (the 'A' I believe), so they had to cut the tune short. He quipped to the audience, "Couldn't make it last, I guess." Moments like that can be very stressful when you're on stage, but he just smiled, picked up another guitar and launched right in to the next number. Overall, an excellent show.

I didn't end up meeting anyone from this board, but I hope you all made it and had a good time. I did meet a couple women living in New York originally from Austin, Texas. They had gone to U. T. (I mean the University of Texas, of course, not that "other" U. T.) They said they were new to the scene and thought the show was really good. It seemed to be the consensus of everyone there.

If his travels bring him to Michigan, I'll certainly see him again.

I'd be willing to send a blank CD-R to anyone who has a recording of Thursday night. Please let me know.

head tone harmony

Post by head tone harmony »

Right on!
Im in from ann arbor for the show.
we need Jay to play the tap room. yes we do.
enjoy the show.

gb68

To the folks going to the Bowery Show:

Post by gb68 »

How do you want to hook up?

gb68

sounds good

Post by gb68 »

I'll just be there for the Thursday show, but grabbing a beer always sounds good. I'm firmly pro-beer.

uesbc

Post by uesbc »

I am going to the 7/9 Bowery show also. Maybe we'll grab a beer beforehand.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

A convert! First Ypsilammirrewwaski, MI, then then world!

gb68

Post by gb68 »

Hey.
I'm from Ypsilanti, Michigan.
My wife and I are going with a friend who's familiar with New York. Neither my wife nor I have ever been to NY, but we're flying out just to see the Thursday show and hang out in the big city until we fly back to Detroit on Sunday. You're coming from Hong Kong, eh? My word, that's quite a haul. It'll be my first time on a commercial passenger plane. I've been on a four-seater prop plane a couple times, and people tell me that a commercial passenger flight is more like taking the bus, so I'm not really worried.
I'm pretty new to the scene. It was about a year ago a friend gave me a copy of Trace, and I was really impressed. Since then, my wife & I have acquired the UT anthology, Anodyne, Straightaways and I picked up a copy of Wide Swing Tremolo on LP. A few months prior to that, we saw Wilco on Austin City Limits, and we got Being There, and eventualy, A. M. and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I had no idea Tweedy and Farrar had a history. It was interesting to hear them sing together on the anthology.
Old news to most fans, but a revelation for me. Forgive me for going on a bit, but you'll understand if I don't pick up on all the references made in this discussion board.
I like your moniker. I thought it was very clever that Jay Farrar's publishing was under the name Grain Elevator Music. It represents one of the things I like best about his writing. He writes with humor. Though he can be dark, there's still a sense of humor in there.

I've gotta go. See y'all in New York.

GrainElevator

Bowery Show

Post by GrainElevator »

Who's going to be at the Bowery July 10th, Thursday? Like to grab a beer if anybody's going.