Overlooked songs

dsr1jxt

Post by dsr1jxt »

Left a slide is Jay's greatest song

Bound to Get Burned

Post by Bound to Get Burned »

When I heard "Fool Kings Crown" live, it blew me away. I never thought to much of it before, but now I listen to it alot.

"Left a Slide" is one that I grew to love. I'm not sure exactly why I like this song so much. It might be the slow buildup in the song that catches me.

Tabbedout

Post by Tabbedout »

"Way Down Watson"... it has to be my all time favourite Farrar song!

saratoga jay

out on the road

Post by saratoga jay »

on my first spin of TB, i totally heard 'gather' in the begining of 'out on the road'.

but upon further spins i have found 'out on the road' to be a great song on its own. an experienced, weathered, yet honest take on life touring in today's murky, fuckedup, untalent-heavy music biz.

i am happy to report i no longer think of 'gather' when i hear 'out on the road'.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

left a slide is the tune that sold me on jay, high water is a close second, 10 second news honorable mention

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

I always liked Medicine Hat! Add Left a slide to my list!

Hanging Blue Side

Overlooked Songs

Post by Hanging Blue Side »

Steal The Crumbs is the one I really love that seems overlooked,seems like most good music,like Jay's is not noticed by the masses.Their musical taste is you know where.

altcountryman

Post by altcountryman »

Like you guys, Driving the View is one of those for me too. I don't know if Out of the Picture is an overlooked song (but I don't see it on many of the fave lists here on the board) but it's one I really like. And Medicine Hat, too.

Talus

Post by Talus »

Not a Jay song but "Black Eye" was like that for me. I don't know how I overlooked the beautiful 12 string work, but that album just has so much to give...

Barnum

Post by Barnum »

I'm was like that way with "Outside the Door." Just kind of snuck up on me - a bit of a hitch at the end of Sebastapol.

Dan

Post by Dan »

"Too Early" was the song that had a 'delayed reaction' for me. I'd listen to the first 2/3 of Trace, but didn't go deep enough to get to "Too Early." Now, I can't get enough of that song. The pictures it paints in my mind make me forget everything I want to forget about.

ct

Post by ct »

I've using the random on my cd player for about 10 years. It's great, when you have listen to the same cd over and over songs tend to bend together. Like Trace, 10 Sec News is between Route and Drown(which are 2 great songs) but you usually seem to overlook 10 sec. However, when you put it on random each song seem to stand by it's self more.

When it comes to see it live, WST, I didn't like it that much when I first got it. Then I saw Jay with Mark in DC in Jan 01, I didn't realize how much I love songs like Driving the View, Flow, Dead Man's Clothes. Then this past tour Punchdrunk.

As for the guitar, every show I go to now I'm watching and listen for chords at I know. But it gets a little dishearting when I watch a good guitar player, to see them change chords with no effert at all. Then to watch Jay he changes without thinking, it's automatic.

mcarlton

Overlooked songs

Post by mcarlton »

Its funny but over the years i have liked Jay's music alot but it is funny how a song may not do much for you then you hear it in a different context...radio, greatest hits cd or see em live and say Wow that is a really cool song.

I mean it it was easy to like windfall, moonshiner, No More Parades etc but some of the others...

Over the last year I did that with two of Jays songs (maybe three) Picking up the signal, Driving the view and Fool Kings Crown. I will credit the FKC from seeing him live, but I made a UT/Jay cd and dropped some random song songs on Driving the View really took me be surprise. Picking up the signal happened while i transfered songs to my new MP3 player. I think Left a slide..may be another candidate.

I started playing guitar last year and it makes me listen to the songs closer and makes me appreciate songs more. Unfortunately I may be outmatched by Picking up the signal, maybe need to get an electric for that one. Hey CT did this happen to you?
Last edited by mcarlton on Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.