Overlooked songs

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

"Slate" from Anodyne did it for me.

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Actually I made an extended version of a song before. Big Star's I'm in love with a girl. When I put it on tape for the car I recorded it twice in a row without a pause. Fantastic.

For those who have not heard of Big Star and like Pop music, Jangly, Beatles, badfinger music they were outstanding. Posies had a simular sound... Their first 2 cd's have been combined into one and can be found for under 15 bucks at amazon/circuit city etc..

windshield

Post by windshield »

Yes, but in my little dreams there is an extended version of that song... I must admit I eventually worked on the track with an audio editor and although I had to repeat the first verse for the whole song, at least now it lasts more :)

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

I always liked Blind Hope. I never overlooked that one. SV always had one great song at or near the end of the cd that was kind different than the rest of the CD.
Trace - Mystifies Me (ron wood)
Straightaways - No More Parades (Love the picking and banjo)
WST - Blind Hope

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

and hanging blue side deserves some chatter as well

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

it reaffirms my faith in music that so many people seem to love left a slide as much as i do. that drone scratches me right where i itch

windshield

Post by windshield »

Left a Slide just cures any of my pains and wipes away everything I need to wipe...
I would have liked a longer "blind hope", the groove just grows on me :)

professor_squishy

Post by professor_squishy »

I've really been into "Dead Promises" lately... anyone know what tuning is used on this? (I know it's a Bm/D/G thing, but it doesn't sound right in standard tuning)

Also, after seeing "The Fog of War" (documentary on Robert McNamara) and all the increasingly fucked up shit that's happening in Iraq, the chorus of "Vitamins" is ringing all too true:

"The rules haven't changed, it's just the same garbage war we're sitting in.
Really not mad at anyone, just mad at the world"

B-bender

Post by B-bender »

Just to move this thread even further off topic, while we're on the subject of guitars, anyone know Mark Spencers preffered lap-steel tuning?

stretch

overlooked songs

Post by stretch »

Any luck on out on the road? The 3rd postion G works when you walk back to the C and close to the walk back. Im not happy with the Am chord I gave you. I'll be out of town til Saturday and fool withit then. It'd be great to sit down w/Jay for a cool 45 minuites with two guitars...

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Thanks... And if you have any tips on Picking up the Signal I would love that too!

stretch

Post by stretch »

I'll look into it after work...get back to you by the weekend..

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Hey Stretch-
Im a newer guitarist (been playing almost a year) and mostly a strummer, since you been playing some Jay, Do you know on Out on The Road what he is doing on his transitions from G to C and vice versa? I would love to get that.

stretch wrote:I often put sv/jf disks in the 5 disk changer and hit random..and just wank out on the guitar. You soon discover that every song was recorded for a reason..an interesting hook or a unique play on words. Jay is a challenging artist to play against...wierdo tunings drive me crazy..he tends to have always had a cool rhythmic sence. It's much easier to jam to a bunch of Fela Kuti albums and it makes it much much easier to sit in with a folky chord struming person who just wants some interesting accents on thier stuff, after jamming to Jay. I really like all of Jays stuff and would love to listen to the material left on the floor of the studio. I've heard some way cool half-baked musical ideas come to life by throwing 'em up against the wall a year or so later by a different set of ears.

stretch

Post by stretch »

I often put sv/jf disks in the 5 disk changer and hit random..and just wank out on the guitar. You soon discover that every song was recorded for a reason..an interesting hook or a unique play on words. Jay is a challenging artist to play against...wierdo tunings drive me crazy..he tends to have always had a cool rhythmic sence. It's much easier to jam to a bunch of Fela Kuti albums and it makes it much much easier to sit in with a folky chord struming person who just wants some interesting accents on thier stuff, after jamming to Jay. I really like all of Jays stuff and would love to listen to the material left on the floor of the studio. I've heard some way cool half-baked musical ideas come to life by throwing 'em up against the wall a year or so later by a different set of ears.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

Who knew there were so many other "Left a Slide" lovers out there? First time I heard it it floored me.