Yes / ELP / Genesis

Mark Spencer

Post by Mark Spencer »

Last edited by Mark Spencer on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

stretch

Post by stretch »

I&I kinda fell off the prog theater by the mid-seventies..I took a gal to see ELP and seeing Emerson in that rotateing-hampster-cage deal playing piano..a Wakeman show were I'm pretty sure he puked a couple times..bad-bad...drunk-drunk...Was at one of the Genisis shows ..Lamb..were Gabril had the flower suit on...Saw the post Gabrial band and they made me ill. However, my mind was skewed..after seeing the Deads' June '76 run..after that..I really couldn't get back into the prog thang.
There were some mighty fine , infuencial..pickers in them bands, though!!

Tallman

calexico

Post by calexico »

I love Rush, I also like Dream Theatre. And that's about all I have.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Do love Yes. Have their early work on vinyl that I bought back in the 70's. Close to the Edge, Fragile, Tales from Topographical Oceans, Relayer etc...

anadyne2112

Post by anadyne2112 »

Steve Howe is a master guitarist.

Marillion had a couple of things in the 80's I liked. Some would argue they are not prog, but I liked them.

The Howe tuning is CGCGCC. On All Good People, he plays using the capo on the second fret. How's steel on Going For The One rules the free world.

I like Rush. Never thought of them as prog. Neil is a prolific writer. They go the way the wind blows.

Some young uns might say Dream Theatre, but that would be a joke.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Tal and Tom will love this thread.

Mark Spencer

Post by Mark Spencer »

Last edited by Mark Spencer on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Talus

Post by Talus »

Talus

Post by Talus »

Two words-Supper's Ready.

hardwood floor

Post by hardwood floor »

Mark Spencer wrote:Genesis-Selling England By The Pound/Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
you can make a case that they're 1-2 in the genesis catalogue, although foxtrot might disagree
Mark Spencer wrote:ELP-Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends
i didn't believe emerson could play karn evil 9 third impression live until i saw him do it at madison square garden on the Brain Salad Surgery tour. insane. all my friends were smoking weed, i was staring at emerson with binoculars.
Mark Spencer wrote:Yes-Close to The Edge
listened to it today ... the first few minutes -- i mean, where did that come from? two years earlier they were playing Beyond and Before ... then this frenzied ordered chaotic intro ... my god ... and the key change down to ... On the hill we viewed the silence of the valley after all these years still blows me away. and rick's hammond solo is just ridiculous. a masterpiece.
Mark Spencer wrote:Nektar-Remember the Future
mixed like shit but i always adored this record. roye albrighton had such a wonderful melodic sense. taff freeman was the worst keyboard player in prog history but i loved him. bluebird ... what do you feel? remember the future / down to earth / recycled -- what a phenomenal three-album run for nektar. early morning clown, i loved that song.
Mark Spencer wrote:Babe Ruth-First Base
i remember playing them on my college radio station but can't for the life of me remember what they sound like.
Mark Spencer wrote:Tomita-Snowflakes Are Dancing
i never dug those borderline new age synth dudes. vangelis was cool at first though.
Mark Spencer wrote:Triumvirat-Illusions on a Double Dimple
now we're talking. jurgen fritz! actually, we need that german accent over his first name -- jürgen fritz. my friends used to rip me for listening to triumvirat -- they were like, "They sound just like ELP." So what? that's a good thing. i dig 'em. spartacus & old loves die hard were my favorites, but illusions on a double dimple was damn good
Mark Spencer wrote:Pink Floyd-Meddle, Dark Side, Wish You and Animals
Though I've heard it argued, only someone under 35 would dispute Floyd being prog.
mos def ...
Mark Spencer wrote:Forget about Magma...that fake language was too cornfusing for bi-lingual Quebec and is really only prog for the Pitchfork crowd.
absolutely

Lakefork

Post by Lakefork »

20 years ago I considered myself the biggest Rush fan in Oklahoma

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Funny I just dug out my Genesis - Selling England by the pound. I was never much of an ELP fan but Some King Crimson or Yes and I am happy.

I have soo much classic rock.. and lots of it is Prog.

DumbQuestion

Post by DumbQuestion »

Mark Spencer,
Would you play lap Steel on my record? How much would you charge for the session?
Andrea

Mark Spencer

Post by Mark Spencer »

Last edited by Mark Spencer on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Spencer

Post by Mark Spencer »

Last edited by Mark Spencer on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.