Jay and St. Louis

Hoops

Post by Hoops »

Miles was from the East Side as well.

Come on Glenn, you know that if anything good comes out of the East Side, we claim it...

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

I'll take Jay over any of those posers.

And technically, doesn't Jay hail from Illinois? ;)

bentonbourbon

Post by bentonbourbon »

third maybe fourth best songwriter to ever come out of Missouri
There's:
Chuck Berry
Miles Davis
Jay
Ike Turner
Gene Clark

I consider Tweedy a Chicago guy, so he don't count.

dbengr69

Post by dbengr69 »

...jay should play here more, my $0.02.

...the first friday in may is still open at the pageant - my fingers are crossed for that.

...son volt on friday, brox on saturday across the street - would make for a nice weekend.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

Jay has lived in the greater St. Louis area for each year of his career except for the year in New Orleans around '94-95.
He wrote Cahokian. He wrote Outside the Door. He wrote Way Down Watson. He wrote Dent County. Sauget Wind. He's played in and around St. Louis. He's raising his family there. He is St. Louis and more.

They oughta name a small town after him. Let Illinois and Missouri fight it out.

Jeff wrote Via Chicago.
And Handshake Drugs.

Hoops

Post by Hoops »

Jay currently resides in St. Louis. He did perform here during the Search tour. We expect him playing again here soon. Perhaps, at the end of this tour.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Lakefork

Jay and St. Louis

Post by Lakefork »

I've been wondering lately about Jay's connection to St. Louis.

A couple of things have prompted this.

1. I've lived in the middle of Illinois for the past couple of years and from where I live it's 2 hrs to see a show in Indy, 3.5 to Chicago, 2 to Blommingon, IN, and around 2.25 to St Louis. I could go on, but you get the point. In my time here I've not seen Jay in St. Louis. I saw him in Indy on the Okemah tour for the first time and thought it was one of the greatest shows ever. Since then I've tried to see him in St. Louis, but haven't. He probably played there on the Search tour, but I'm gone for 2-4 months of the year, so I was probably gone when he did. I was extremely disapointed that Gob Iron didn't play St Louis (to my knowledge). Also, he isn't playing there this spring either solo or Son Volt.

2. I was listening to the first night of the Wilco thing in Chicago and before they start a guy comes out to announe them and makes a big deal about how Wilco is a Chicago band, has been since 95, the live cd etc.....

So I'm wondering is Jay/Son Volt a St Louis dude/band?

To a certain point they have to be. Looking at my Okemah disk some of the songs from the DVD are from a show in St. Louis.

Right now I'm probably just questioning his St Louisness becasue I'm not going to be able to see him this spirng. Louisville is to far for a work night. I've just now gotten into the SV 2 stuff. I hated Okemah the day I bought it and listened to it, but about a month ago, I gave it a spin and I love it. Just got The Search and I'm digging it to.

Alright, that's it. Probably long for a habitual lurker, but I was wondering what people here think.