Best morning in a long time!!

ScottZeagle

Post by ScottZeagle »

That's funny...

:lol:

anadyne2112

Post by anadyne2112 »

Dude, I apologize. It has nothing to do with what you guys are talking about. I wish I could say I was liquered up and/or high on crack, but I can't. I just had a moment of I don't know what.

ScottZeagle

Post by ScottZeagle »

Who let all these meddling kids into our sandbox, Carter???

:x

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Lakefork wrote:Mr. dcarter:

I'm sure you probably know this, but just in case....

NPR has a great music page with tons of concerts you can listen to. I think there are two Son Volt shows. One from their concert series from the 930 club in DC which is a goood 1.5 to 2 hr show. The other is a shorter show from Philly.

edit---here's the link

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4961968
Not to steamroll over the proverbial dead horse but i just saw this.
Thank you but I was well aware of those NPR shows. I was fortunately able to listen to Philly live. The DC I downloaded from NPR the next day. The unmentionable band :roll: has done several webcasts from NPR and various other stations. I was referring to regular webcasts and archives of shows that are exclusive to the band's website.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Damaged Son wrote:
dcarter wrote:What is the purpose of the website other than as a message board?
That applies to most of the internet.
There's many websites that lie dormant, unattended, or forgotten as time passes.
If you don't like how JayFarrar.net is managed for updating news and info, etc, show some initiative and start your own unofficial one.
Many have done that for fans of bands with little to no interest in fabricating an online presence.
I have neither the skill nor the initiative. The live webcasts that I refer to have nothing to do with viachicago.net, a fan-created site. The live webcasts and archived concert streams that I refer to are part of wilcoworld.net, wilco's counterpart to jayfarrar.net.
I did not intend to strike a nerve with anyone. Originally I was genuinely excited to be listening to a live show from Australia at 7AM and shared that. Then Zeagle and I started good natured bullshitting. Then it somehow devolved.
I'm finished with it. I apologize for the unintended controversy that I inadvertently initiated.

Damaged Son

Post by Damaged Son »

dcarter wrote:What is the purpose of the website other than as a message board?
That applies to most of the internet.
There are many websites that lie dormant, unattended, or forgotten as time passes.
If you don't like how JayFarrar.net is managed for updating news and info, etc, show some initiative and start your own unofficial one.
Many have done that for fans of bands with little to no interest in fabricating an online presence.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Think about what you said. The Jay/SV website does not make fans aware of webcasts and other things that fans would like to know about. Often tour and record information is posted here after it shows up somewhere else. What is the purpose of the website other than as a message board? I love the guy and I am not even remotely a cyber junkie but it's basic things that most would expect from an artist's website... I think that there is a happy medium between how it's done here and 'the bullshit of Ryan Adams'. The only comparison I made was how having several webcasts every tour is a very cool thing.

Damaged Son

Post by Damaged Son »

dcarter wrote:
Damaged Son wrote:For Sebastopol, Jay did a couple of webscasts on other sites with Mark Spencer. If i recall correctly, they were of the "painful and clueless interview" variety.
At the moment, I'm quite content with DVDs versus webcasts.
If the quality of the webcasts were high, i would change my mind.

Can a day not go by on this board without comparing what Jay/SV do in contrast to Jeff/Wilco?
Apples and oranges.
Jaysus! I am talking about audio webcasts. The audio quality is high. I think that it is very cool to listen to a live show as it happens. I think that it would be great if there were Son Volt live concert audio webcasts.
No, a day can't go by without comparing them. :roll:
Where have you been? SV has done many live audio webcasts in the past.
They're just not documented on this website.
This website is not a focal point for Jay or Son Volt.
It never has been.
You've been on this board long enough to know that.
Personally, I'm glad for it because the other end of the spectrum is Ryan Adams and his bullshit internet antics. Jay and company are more concerned about making music; not constantly maintaining a digital online presence. Now there have been updates to this site that show a slight shift with regards to the site's content over time and will probably continue to do so.

It really doesn't make sense to me to compare anything about Wilco or Son Volt. It was obvious they were headed in different directions (musically, marketing) with Being There and Straightaways. That was over 10 years ago. Some would argue it was obvious even while they were still both in UT and they'd probably be right.
I really don't understand the fascination to continue comparing them on any level after so much time has passed and both bands have gone off in completely different directions.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Damaged Son wrote:For Sebastopol, Jay did a couple of webscasts on other sites with Mark Spencer. If i recall correctly, they were of the "painful and clueless interview" variety.

Can a day not go by on this board without comparing what Jay/SV do in contrast to Jeff/Wilco?
Apples and oranges.
Jaysus! I am talking about audio webcasts. The audio quality is high. I think that it is very cool to listen to a live show as it happens. I think that it would be great if there were Son Volt live concert audio webcasts.
No, a day can't go by without comparing them. :roll:

trousersnakeandlarry

Post by trousersnakeandlarry »

Damaged Son

Post by Damaged Son »

For Sebastopol, Jay did a couple of webscasts on other sites with Mark Spencer. If i recall correctly, they were of the "painful and clueless interview" variety.

Apples and oranges.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

anadyne2112 wrote:
dcarter wrote:
ScottZeagle wrote:I would love to hear Jay/SV on the web...but it has nothing to do with the fact that Wilco did it...

:lol: i never said that it did. It isn't my fault that they do a hell of a lot of fan-friendly things, with the glaring exception of canceling a sold-out show to be on SNL. That doesn't outweigh everything else, though. I assume that Jay/his label/management/etc. cannot afford things like live webcasts and archived shows. That is a crime.
Jay doesn't want anyone to know who he is.

Tweedy will (co) sell out in a minute to asssociate himself to UT. See his DVD and his book.

The only thing Jay will say is "...um... thanks for coming"

Jeff will say he compromised his values to fufill Jay's vision.

Jay has a catologue of music that does the talking for him.

Jeff was a student of Jay. Period. Jeff will tell you that. Jeff felt he took the pebble from Jay's hand, but Jay held the pebble to begin with.

Just sayin
I agree with most of the above but what does it have to do with live webcasts of shows?

anadyne2112

Post by anadyne2112 »

Hell, I kant even spell AnOdyne.

What a dumbass. :cry: :? :shock:

anadyne2112

Post by anadyne2112 »

Even if you disagree with all I have said ( and you probably do), please consider my remarks in the record store day thread.

We all want to keep a record store handy in our blocks.
Last edited by anadyne2112 on Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

anadyne2112

Post by anadyne2112 »

dcarter wrote:
ScottZeagle wrote:I would love to hear Jay/SV on the web...but it has nothing to do with the fact that Wilco did it...

:lol: i never said that it did. It isn't my fault that they do a hell of a lot of fan-friendly things, with the glaring exception of canceling a sold-out show to be on SNL. That doesn't outweigh everything else, though. I assume that Jay/his label/management/etc. cannot afford things like live webcasts and archived shows. That is a crime.
Jay doesn't want anyone to know who he is.

Tweedy will (co) sell out in a minute to asssociate himself to UT. See his DVD and his book.

The only thing Jay will say is "...um... thanks for coming"

Jeff will say he compromised his values to fufill Jay's vision.

Jay has a catologue of music that does the talking for him.

Jeff was a student of Jay. Period. Jeff will tell you that. Jeff felt he took the pebble from Jay's hand, but Jay held the pebble to begin with.

Just sayin
Last edited by anadyne2112 on Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.