SV + N.O. = R.O.C.O

dude

Post by dude »

i talked to SV's sound engineer last night before the 9:30 Club show and he said a guy had a bank of six mics right near the board. so it was definitely taped, whether it sees the light of day is another matter. someone on trader's den said they planned on taping the 9:30 show but didn't sound like he was going to upload it anywhere. why bother posting "i'm a hoarder."

slobile

Post by slobile »

did anyone tape this show? I would love to get a copy

danmen

Post by danmen »

Bobby Bare, Jr. hit the stage, played 3-4 acoustic songs, then his bassist and drummer came on and rocked the house. No one in the audience really paid attnetion, but BBJ's set reminded me of the old Maxell cassette tape advertisment.

Son Volt played the same basic set as what has been posted. Plus Drown to close the main set.
Encore in no particular order..
Windfall, Medication, Lonesome, Are You Shure Hank Done it this way. There may have been a 5th, definately not TSE though.

The crowd was largely younger (sub 30's) and quite sedate. Loads of people, but mostly apparently unaware of any Pre-Search Material.
I was stoked at the opening notes of Hanging Blue Side, Cresote and Slate, but those songs went largely over the crowds head.

Jay seemingly is coming out of his shell. My 9th show and by far the most talkative I have seen. He mentioned (as did BBJ) how much fun they had on their day off in New Orleans. During the Encore, prior to Lonseome/Ornery he said this was unintentially the 3rd or 4th song with New Orleans in the lyrics.
He looked around and seemed to be having fun on stage.
Mark S played Keys and Lap steel to take Derry's place.
IMHO he was under utilized
Voodoo Candle absolutely rocked, but oddly Jay seems to have pulled back the reins slightly from the last tours duelling guitars where he and Masterson traded licks. Jay took over the entire scorching guitar part this time.
Masterson seemed to be more at ease with the band than he was last year.
Dave and Andrew delivered an always solid performance.
Glad I went, even if I did lose much needed beauty sleep.
Last edited by danmen on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

slobile

Post by slobile »

What y'all think of the Tips show last night?

Rick V

Post by Rick V »

I'll be there. Fat Harry's is a good choice but you can get a pretty good drink at Tip's too.

rsr26

Post by rsr26 »

I know "Fat Harrys" is a popular place Uptown and a short cab ride away from Tips. Hope there's a good crowd tonight.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

SportPony, what was the name of your old pub that we went to in NOLA? Remember it had become a biker bar? Or at least we chatted up bikers at the bar. That was where Baby Doll had one drink over the line, sweet Jesus, one drink over the line! The NOLA SVers should go there.

Grifterwithafunnylittleha

Tippyteeners

Post by Grifterwithafunnylittleha »

Ah, friends, I'm jealous of your Crescent City night!

As for drinks, hell, straight to Tipitina's and hit the double Jacks hard until Bobby comes out.

I swear on all the hookers and their friends I've been with for free and their graves, Bobby Bare Jr's set in Tallahassee was the best opening band I've ever seen, absolutely.

I need a Lawn Boy green and white racing jacket and headband like the Ninja on Bass. We roared for them to play all night ... The drummer smacked of Keith Moon and Guided By Voices' I am a Tree!

Do it for Bobby. Then, settle into The Volt and raise your hand, testifiers!

La, la,
Jammy Britches

danmen

Post by danmen »

I am in. will be in from out of town for work... Can't help you with suggestions as I will be foraging myself.

rsr26

SV + N.O. = R.O.C.O

Post by rsr26 »

The New Orleans show is just a day away! Anyone here going? Where is a good place to get your drink on Uptown?