farewellangelina

Post by farewellangelina »

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Anders Parker Radio-Cross Latitudes

stunningly amazing!

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

Paul McCartney live at the Apollo(not a recording!) on Sirius 70's.

He is ON!!

calexico

Post by calexico »

Calexico & Iron and Wine - In The Reins

tele

Post by tele »

Tom Joad is probably the only album of his I keep putting in a rotation, I respect the guy alot but feel that album is so underated in his body of work.[/quote]

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

Dr. Zapatos

Post by Dr. Zapatos »

calexico wrote:Am I alone in loving Tom Joad just about more than any other Bruce album?
Apparently not, it is a great album that one.

I was just listening to Darkness for the first time in a long time, it has some standout songs, but it's the album as an entity that grabs me. The songs are short stories in a in an album-universe. That's The Boss at his best, he did it with Born to Run, Nebraska, and Tom Joad in addition to Darkness with perfection. His non-noteworthy albums have in common a lack of a strong theme, and where the stories don't mix in with each other. Nebraska is my favorite of his, but probably more for nostalgic reasons than for being stronger than Darkness, which is probably his best effort. It's not polished like say The River, it doesn't have any upbeat songs really, but the songs just flow into each other and intermingle, and when you're done listening you've heard what could've been your own life, one very familiar. Don't have the deluxe boxset thing yet, but I figure it'll drop down the chimney sometime this month.

el caballo loco

calexico wrote:Am I alone in loving Tom Joad just about more than any other Bruce album?
I like that one a lot. Shuck might fancy it too, as it is pretty much "gloss free."

calexico

Post by calexico »

Good to know. I think I may be alone in really liking Shawn Mullins. Oh well..

Really good new album. I like his stuff a lot.[/url]

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

No, you are not alone.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Am I alone in loving Tom Joad just about more than any other Bruce album?

Misfit

Post by Misfit »

Last edited by Misfit on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

el caballo loco

ShuckOwens wrote:
el caballo loco wrote:While Darkness isn't as stripped down as Nebraska (which is essentially a demo tape), it's a mighty fine record to these ears. I've never thought of Bruce's music as being "glossy," though I think albums like Born in the U.S.A. and Tunnel of Love get drowned in some poor production decisions. I do have to say I'm simply flabbergasted that you would refer to something like Darkness on the Edge of Town, Born to Run, or Greetings From Asbury Park as shit.
I guess 'shit' is a bit harsh. There is frustration over something I'm not connecting with or appreciating properly maybe. The guy's songwriting skill is obviously beyond question incredible... and as Brian mentioned here years ago, he's a phenomenal guitarist. There's a lot of people with what I consider superb taste in music, among some of my buds and on this board as well... with high regards for the Bruce/ E. Street catalog. I guess I feel left out in a way... but I can't stand to listen to most of it, as it hits my ear as showy, toss-in-every-instrument-you-can-think-of extravagance.
Trust your ear. If you like it, listen to it. If you don't, stick it back on the shelf.