2008 MLB

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

manshank wrote:BTW....what happend to the wise crack guy who normally sits behind home plate. He use to pick an opposing player and ride him, in a good way, every time he came to bat. He was a riot. I havent heard him this year.................

Good luck tonight!
He's still there, I think he picks his spots these days. He was getting a bit annoying even to Ray fans. He also get's silenced by the stupid cowbells. I am going to make up T-Shirts that read 'Enough Cowbell!' Seriously that SNL skit was funny the first time I saw it, but give it a rest. Does everything have to be run into the goddamn ground? It's almost as lame as yelling 'Freebird,' at shows.

manshank

Post by manshank »

good series....2 blow outs and cloe one, could not ask for much more

heard the wise crack guy last night for the first time all year

Sox need to get Drew back in a hurry as we got an automatic out in RF, typically a postion you get offensive production from. Lowell can barely walk. Looking at at our lineup last night it such a different team then the end of July.

Sell out last night! Congrats

Still the feild is a total joke with all that crap hanging around. Its like playing ball when you are a kid.........if it hits that limb on the tree its a double but if you catch it its a single but if you try to catch it and miss its a triple............................

good luck to the Rays the remainder of the season and into the post. It would nice to see these two make it it to the ACLS but I don't think that will happen. The only bright thing for the Sox is the short first series. With a decent 3 man rotation (Dice K, Beckett, and Lester) they matvh up with anyone.

Screw the Angels

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

8-2 Rays at the end of the 3rd inning! They are dominating. Aw shit. Ortiz just hit a towering homer to lead of the 4th...

manshank

Post by manshank »

yes indeed great game..........it's to bad our young guy (Masterson) ended up hitting Floyd on that 1-2 pitch.........different ball game that doesnt happen but hey its a game of inches..........should be another good one tonight. Wake normally gets no run support so it should be interesting

BTW....what happend to the wise crack guy who normally sits behind home plate. He use to pick an opposing player and ride him, in a good way, every time he came to bat. He was a riot. I havent heard him this year.................

Good luck tonight!

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

saratoga jay wrote:
the Watcher wrote:
saratoga jay wrote:heading to Phils/Mets in a few, where i'll drink a few, hoping Utley will hit a few and drunken fisticuffs in the stands i'm guaranteed to see a few...
Ryan Howard 1-6, 4Ks

Ouch.

What's the take on him amongst Philly fandom? Sure, he cranks a lot of homers but jeez, the strikeouts are insane.
it's pretty crazy. he does strike out way, way too much. no one can deny that fact, but then you check out his stats and he leads the league in ribbie's and is second in home runs. he does do damage with guys on base. he also doesn't move guys up like you need to in certain situations, which to me is frustrating as hell.

if you're asking me if i want him in the Phillies lineup for the next 6-8 years...the answer is yes.

update...MVP! MVP! MVP!

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

And how about Sonnanstine matching Josh Beckett pitch for pitch for the second time in less than a week. Go Rays!

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

What a game last night! I'm glad that I stayed awake for the end. Classic. Let's do it again1

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

The Rays are scaring me. Kazmir could not find the plate last night and Edwin Jackson looked bad on Sunday. Price did make his debut at Yankee Stadium in relief of Jackson and looked good. Retired the first six hitters, then gave up homer to Jeter and then struck out A-Rod with a nasty slider. Game 2 of series tonight will be huge.

Rarefied Farrar

Post by Rarefied Farrar »

Wow, that's insane. I thought you were joshing me 'til I checked it.

When's the last time a team tied for a playoff berth fired their manager this close to season's end?

My guess would be never.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

Rarefied Farrar wrote:Phillies, Brewers now tied for the NL wild card. Unbelievable.

If the Brewers blow it again with the Sabathia/Sheets 1-2 punch and a damn good lineup on paper, Ned Yost is gone.
they fired Yost just now.

Rarefied Farrar

Phillies, Brewers now tied for the NL wild card. Unbelievable.

If the Brewers blow it again with the Sabathia/Sheets 1-2 punch and a damn good lineup on paper, Ned Yost is gone.

Rarefied Farrar

There is no chance in hell that Sonnanstine will be left off the playoff roster, short of getting hurt...not after being with the club the whole year. I don't get much of a chance to follow the Rays, me being an NLer and Cardinal fan, but I really hope they get to the Series this year...and wouldn't it be great if they could take down the Cubs to add a little more to the 100 years of misery the north-siders have had to endure. Based on ERAs, they seem to have a helluva good relief staff, outside of closer Percival. Sticking with Percival as closer is another one of those WTF thought processes that I just don't get...ie, that just because a guy has experience, continue throwing him to the wolves no matter how bad he sucks (see Jason Isringhausen, 2008).

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

Rumor I heard is that Price is likely to start Game 2 of the double header versus the Orioles on September 23rd. If he has a successful outing he may be a available out of the pen in postseason.

manshank

Post by manshank »

rumor has it that Price may be on the playoff roster and drop Sonanstinep ............

Tip my hat to the Rays so I do...............

GO YANKS

did I just say that

LOL

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

What an exhausting game last night. The Rays need to do a better job at knocking in runs. How many times did they leave the bases loaded last night? Andy Sonanstine pitched just a beautiful game though. Hard to believe he might not even be in the rotation next year as I am sure they are going to have to make room for David Price, but come on, he has the most wins on the team so far this year.

I would imagine they will draw pretty well for the Playoffs, but people just are not willing to drive over to South St Pete during the week. Most folks in Tampa are content watching them on TV during the week and driving over to games on weekend, me included.

Sox here next week. Hoefully the Trop can come close to matching the intensity Boston fans showed for this past series. Doubtful though.