Top 10 alt-country guitarists (so says Gibson)

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

Neverwonagrammy wrote:Just remember...
Gibson thinks a poorly finished, secretly "weight relieved" (routed full of holes, beneath the surface, to try and pass off green, wet, crappy lumber as "tonewood") Les Paul is worth 3500 dollars.
Some people agree with them.
It's all good.
Nothing to get up in arms about.
That list is just somebody's opinion, probably based on the only alt-country guitarists they've ever heard of.
I've read some lists that put Jack White in the "100 best guitarists of all time".
Kurt Cobain too.
"Best Of" lists are, generally, based solely on what the writer knows about, rarely are they based in any kinda fact.
Brian
I saw an elephant once at the Zoo. I saw another, similar looking elephant, at the circus. I saw a TV show on hippos one time, a couple of years ago. I am obviously an expert, so be on the lookout for my BEST PACHYDERMS OF 2008 list in coming weeks.

BE THERE!

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Are there 12 of us?
counting mark spencer? probably....

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

half-n-half wrote:
Let's start a GANG.
sure, like the alt-country slots... sumthin' like that?
We'll make a calendar.
Are there 12 of us?

Neverwonagrammy

Post by Neverwonagrammy »

Just remember...
Gibson thinks a poorly finished, secretly "weight relieved" (routed full of holes, beneath the surface, to try and pass off green, wet, crappy lumber as "tonewood") Les Paul is worth 3500 dollars.
Some people agree with them.
It's all good.
Nothing to get up in arms about.
That list is just somebody's opinion, probably based on the only alt-country guitarists they've ever heard of.
I've read some lists that put Jack White in the "100 best guitarists of all time".
Kurt Cobain too.
"Best Of" lists are, generally, based solely on what the writer knows about, rarely are they based in any kinda fact.
Brian

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Let's start a GANG.
sure, like the alt-country slots... sumthin' like that?

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

half-n-half wrote:speaking of slots. 1/2 will always have one for dirty rugged steve
Let's start a GANG.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

speaking of slots. 1/2 will always have one for dirty rugged steve

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

Tokyo Fan wrote: You'd think at that point that he may as well include Mark Spencer! (though personally I'd give him a slot all on his own).
I'm available on nights and weekends.
Oh wait, you said "slot".

never mind.

har.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

The list maker does (quite properly!) feature Jay farrar and Son Volt. In addition to Jay at the 3 spot, Dave Boquist gets a 4...and the guy manages to include acknowledgements of Brad Rice, Chris Frame and Chris Masterson. You'd think at that point that he may as well include Mark Spencer! (though personally I'd give him a slot all on his own).

As other have said, and maybe I'll say it a bit more forcefully, there ain't no way in hell Jeff Tweedy should be on this list as a guitarist..and clearly this list make is catering to a certain characters influence by not daring to mention...shall I say it?...Jay Bennett. (And it makes me laugh when I see or hear the word "paired" or "twin" guitars when it comes to Wilco. The famous movie, as I recall, shows Tweedy smirking at Jay Bennett when he (Jay B.) suggests dualing guitars. Again, if I recall correctly, this was dismissed as something out of the past, over and done with. (As a big Wishbone Ash fan, I thought it was a smashingly good suggestion...and that was before I was aware of the Drive By Truckers).

And I agree with those who say that Johnny Cash is straight country. I think you can include Waylon and Willie as alt-country, but Johnny Cash has somehow gotten, or is in the process of, being rewritten into something that he isn't (or wasn't). In my opinion!

That link to 5 alt-country albums is an entirely different topic. A prominent reference to "Being There" and nary a reference to Jay Bennett? Give me a fucking break.

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

el caballo loco wrote:
dEvRoNiKa wrote:I have been resisting the urge to weigh in on this, mostly because it’s all opinion and fairly meaningless, but …
I'm guessing it killed you to do so. :wink:
I admit, it took me like a tenth of a second to begin formulating a response.

when you care enough to hit "submit."

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

Ken Bethea?

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

dEvRoNiKa wrote:I have been resisting the urge to weigh in on this, mostly because it’s all opinion and fairly meaningless, but …
I'm guessing it killed you to do so. :wink:

Hoops

Post by Hoops »

Yeah, what she said.

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

I have been resisting the urge to weigh in on this, mostly because it’s all opinion and fairly meaningless, but … No Mark Spencer, Anders Parker or Brian Henneman?? The hell kind of stupid-ass, worthless list is THIS? Pshhshh.

Proof that anyone can make a list. I can make a list, too!

First off - Tweedy wouldn’t be on or near my “alt-country guitar husbands” list. That’s absurd. I don’t even know if he can play Guitar Hero without the benefit of always having had a stronger, hotter guitar player beside him (oh hello JAYFERS, Henneman, Bennett & Nels, etc..) And this certainly isn’t knocking his songwriting / singing / playing skillz, but he’s not a strong guitar player. You could tape Jay or Brian’s mouths shut and they’ll still DESTROY everyone with their guitar talent.

In terms of influential, innovative, test-of-time true guitar geniuses, this list is missing some key players.

My guitar list. *Jay FarREEOWRRRRRR, Anders Parker, Mark Spencer, Brian Henneman, Jason Isbell, Gary Louris, Dave Boquist, Cary Hudson ... these guys collectively bring the versatility, endurance, commitment, hotness, rockin’ bluesy country folky solo la la la togetherness, creative collaborative marriages, brave song and style choices, constant soul-sucking touring and devoted, completely skilled and dedicated musicianship to the table. They bring it. All around life-long, timeless goodness.

*also has the added benefit of also bringing heart crushing amounts of rock hotness, endearing serious song-writing to the mix. SO DREAMY!! *faint*

To request .pdf versions of my dissertations on Jay, Anders, Mark and Brian Henneman, please backchannel me via email and I’ll send you copies for $49.99 each.

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

Tupelo Son wrote:
"best of" lists suck anyway.
at least it gives us some topic for banter.
:)