Evil Urges

hardwood floor

Post by hardwood floor »

my morning jacket

i saw them a couple years ago

sometimes there's a band that you feel like you should like but you just don't

i put them in that category

not sure what it is -- they're trying too hard? the songs just aren't good enough? nothing sets them apart from other bands?

but i just don't dig 'em

Damaged Son

Post by Damaged Son »

I haven't checked it out yet but i've enjoyed most of their albums.
I caught the original lineup before 2 (or 3?) of them left the band before the Z album. Fantastic live show and bombastic with a couple of acoustic numbers by Jim James during the encore, one of which was a very well done version of Cash's "I Still Miss Someone"

They've always reminded me of some offspring of Lynyrd Skynyrd and hippie jam bands ... two things i don't like at all and yet somehow, i like MMJ. Go figure.

But then i'll admit i probably have a bluegrass blood bias since they're from Kentucky.

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

Texas Tom wrote:Does this new one have all the reverb on the vocals? That stuff gets old quick.
I'll see your "gets old quick" and raise you "it flat out sucks."

Texas Tom

Post by Texas Tom »

Does this new one have all the reverb on the vocals? That stuff gets old quick.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Love Jim Jame's voice, but am not familiar with much of their stuff outside of The Tennessee Fire, which is excellent.

kellyann

Post by kellyann »

i like it okay
it is really different from their other work

it doesn't touch it still moves, though

huddy25

Post by huddy25 »

I think there are some really good songs on this album. I was highy skeptical bases on "highly supsicious" and "evil urges". If you get past those two songs then I think the music starts to fall in place. I have never really liked any of their stuff upon first listen. "z" really had to grow on me-I know love that album. The same can be said about "at dawn" and "it still moves". I think this new album will really translate well live.

Neverwonagrammy

Post by Neverwonagrammy »

MMJ are a really good band, unfortunately, they sound like a watered down version of every band I never liked when I was a teen, therefore, I can't listen to them.
I don't know how anybody hears any Neil Young in 'em.
I was lured in by that one too.
I bet I'd love them, if I hadn't grown up in the '70's.
I'm 20 years too old for My Morning Jacket.
Radiohead? Nope. Sorry. Not for me at all.
Brian

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

Tokyo Fan wrote:

I had to borrow a Radiohead from my son as a friend had mentioned not being able to "get" them. I only listened a couple of times but based on the Rainbow (?) album, can't see what all the fuss is about. My wife was reminded of Bryan Ferry...and I thought it was good music for lulling one to sleep.

MMJ. I just have the one with the bear on the cover. When I bought it several years ago the salesperson saind "Oh, just like Neil Young!" I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. Again, just so-so. I wasn't impressed with the songs (boring) and it sure as hell didn't sound like Neil!
If you haven't quite given up on Radiohead, try their record OK Computer. And live, they're evidently mind-blowing. I was unable to see them when they were here a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately. I hear good things about their live performances though.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

[/quote]

I don't know where he gets it.

...[/quote]

!!!! :lol:

I had to borrow a Radiohead from my son as a friend had mentioned not being able to "get" them. I only listened a couple of times but based on the Rainbow (?) album, can't see what all the fuss is about. My wife was reminded of Bryan Ferry...and I thought it was good music for lulling one to sleep.

MMJ. I just have the one with the bear on the cover. When I bought it several years ago the salesperson saind "Oh, just like Neil Young!" I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. Again, just so-so. I wasn't impressed with the songs (boring) and it sure as hell didn't sound like Neil!

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

Texas Tom wrote:
half-n-half wrote:i had to google mmj. dont know shit about 'em. should I? why do i think it's like gay?
They are a good band, little overrated, but not near as much as radiohead. thats right people radio freakin overrated head :evil:
I like Radiohead.

However, my son made a joke last night. I have two dogs. One is energetic and one is kind of lazy and mopey, and I said "he's sort of the Radiohead of dogs", to which my son says "you mean, all his barks sound just alike?"

I don't know where he gets it.

I still like Radiohead.

Texas Tom

Post by Texas Tom »

half-n-half wrote:i had to google mmj. dont know shit about 'em. should I? why do i think it's like gay?
They are a good band, little overrated, but not near as much as radiohead. thats right people radio freakin overrated head :evil:

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

i had to google mmj. dont know shit about 'em. should I? why do i think it's like gay?

calexico

Post by calexico »

I really like MMJ but am finding this album a wee bit of a trial. That Highly Suspicious song is not for me but then they follow it with I'm Amazed, a gem of a song.

Hey, at least they are prepared to move out of their comfort zone and give some other styles a shot. Win some, lose some.

Hoops

Re: Evil Urges

Post by Hoops »

lewhoney wrote:I'm really trying to like this album--
Don't try too hard. It's just not very good.