is it live, or is it memorex?

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

Trailrider
said
"My own band is about to go into the studio for the first time in just a few weeks, so my all of my opinions on this subject will probably be turned on their ear. I'll post the results on Myspace and share with all of you when we've got a finished product.[/quote]

Good luck, bro. Hope its a good experience all around for ya.

ScottZeagle

Post by ScottZeagle »

Neverwonagrammy wrote:
el caballo loco wrote:
Neverwonagrammy wrote: The really great guys, are guys like Neil Young, who know how to have both things happenin' at once.
It feels like a cliche to say it, but, Neil really is a musical genius...
I think Jay is the ultimate Neil Young torch-carrier of his generation.
Not sayin' he sounds anything like him, or, does anything similar, in the musical/lyrical sense, but, I think Jay is more "Springsteenian", in the narrowness of the bandwidth.
They both are miners of a singular vein.
Still finding ore, in a place you thought was all mined out.
Neil is WAY more "all over the place".
I mean, "For The Turnstiles", and, "T-Bone"?
"Campaigner", and, "Kinda Fond Of Wanda"?
"Ohio", and "Dirty Old Man"?
Jay doesn't swing his tremolo that wide...
Brian
You are spot fucking on, Brian...

Comparing Jay to Neil is kinda like comparing Kobe Bryant to Michael Jordan...

They are both great, but there can only be one Neil Young (and Michael Jordan)

FIFTH WHEEL

Post by FIFTH WHEEL »

Beautiful!!!

Neverwonagrammy

Post by Neverwonagrammy »

el caballo loco wrote:
Neverwonagrammy wrote: The really great guys, are guys like Neil Young, who know how to have both things happenin' at once.
Not sayin' he sounds anything like him, or, does anything similar, in the musical/lyrical sense, but, I think Jay is more "Springsteenian", in the narrowness of the bandwidth.
They both are miners of a singular vein.
Still finding ore, in a place you thought was all mined out.
Neil is WAY more "all over the place".
I mean, "For The Turnstiles", and, "T-Bone"?
"Campaigner", and, "Kinda Fond Of Wanda"?
"Ohio", and "Dirty Old Man"?
Brian

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

trailrider

Post by trailrider »

I have to believe so much of what ends up on a studio recording has to do with the band's approach to the studio. Do they play it all separately from each other and overdub the tracks? Or, do they all play in one room, together, with little or no overdubs?

With the former, some truly exceptional recordings have been made. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Steely Dan come to mind.

However, one of my favorite albums of all time is Big Head Todd and the Monster's Midnight Radio, recorded in a house. Maybe not "in the studio", but not quite live, either. Just the band, playing. Also, for this approach, check out Ben Harper's latest, Lifeline. And Springsteen's the Seeger Sessions. I could probably go on and on, here.

My own band is about to go into the studio for the first time in just a few weeks, so my all of my opinions on this subject will probably be turned on their ear. I'll post the results on Myspace and share with all of you when we've got a finished product.

Texas Tom

Post by Texas Tom »

Neverwonagrammy wrote:The really great guys, are guys like Neil Young, who know how to have both things happenin' at once.
Brian
He is a one of a kind. And whats insane is he's been doing it for five freakin decades. He's in a category all his own.

Neverwonagrammy

Post by Neverwonagrammy »

I think it comes down to the songs.
Some people write songs that have eternal "staying power".
Others write songs that are more, not necessarily "disposable", but, "of the moment".
Capturing an "of the moment" song, for posterity, is damn near impossible, but, put it in a live situation, which is all about "the moment", and it's perfect.
I think the Bottle Rockets fit that category.
Jay would be more in the first category.
Since songs like Jay's are more "eternal", a live setting is simply an optional way to experience them, as opposed to an ultimate way.
The really great guys, are guys like Neil Young, who know how to have both things happenin' at once.
Brian

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Your reaction to Son Volt live is interesting, though not the case for me. Generally I would think that "live" equates to energy and certainly demands a top notch performance along with proper acoustics etc etc. It's more fleeting, but then, because of that snapshot moment, it can live or die.

I've only seen Son Volt once...and was so excited that I signed onto this board to provide the set list. It was a stellar performance, coming on full bore, absolutely professional and crackling with energy. And it may not be true at all, (!) but I am convinced that I witnessed THE ultimate performance of Damn Shame. And I am sticking to my story.

At the same time I am not at all let down by the albums (so I agree with you in this respect).

But I do know what you mean about some bands/musicians "on album" stuff that can leave you scratching your head and wondering how there could be such a difference or maybe even wondering if your memory of the live show may have been due to "other" self-inflicted factors.

Texas Tom

Post by Texas Tom »

The Bottle Rockets are like that for me, the CD's are pretty good, but live they are a great band..

sturgeongeneral

is it live, or is it memorex?

Post by sturgeongeneral »

the gourds thread got me to thinking about the dynamic of live vs. recorded music. i saw the gourds late '07 and was enthralled with their live show. i purchased a cd and just cannot listen to it with any real enthusiasm. the same is true for the avett brothers, north mississippi all-stars, and several others; amazing live shows but the recorded stuff a distant second.
i am not sure why that is. to be candid, in contrast, i enjoy son volt's records more than their live shows. wilco, i would say is about equal. i've attended a number of blues shows recently and, for the most part, the live performances outshine the records. i don't know, it has something to do with the immediacy of the live performance, the smoke curling in the air, or something. but, certain artists have the ability to convey their energy and message through a live medium that is lost in the translation to vinyl. as stated earlier, son volt has the opposite effect on me. the lost translation in reverse.