Any Jackson,Wy or SLC Reports?

scott

I saw the SLC show

Post by scott »

seems i'm the only one here with that distinction...

and yes, our local newspaper reporter is a dimwit.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Mark Spencer wrote:We're doing 10 Second News with the 2 -lap setup. One of my favorites.
That is FUCKING SWEET. Awesome tune. Bring it, Mark.

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

princessbaldy wrote:I'm not a regular here or anything, but I caught the Son Volt set in Jackson Hole. I thought it was one of the better Son Volt shows I've seen, and Farrar was the most chatty I've seen and appeared to be having a good time. He said something along the lines of, "We traveled a long way to be here, and it was totally worth it."

They followed the Avett Brothers who are really high energy and very different from SV in stage presence, so I wasn't sure how that would play out with the crowd. However, I thought the crowd was really receptive, and one of the festival organizers said he was surprised at how many people said they came to see Son Volt.

The mix early on was not good, but it was cleaned up by about 4 or 5 songs into the set. Highlights for me were Jet Pilot as well as "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?" as a closer. It was probably the best overall Son Volt set I've seen.

As for reviews from the festival, I haven't read an accurate one yet--and not just regarding band lineups. One said that Kaki King was screaming "above the roar of the pit." Uhhhm, I was in the "pit." There was no roaring. I guess hyperbole is more fun that reality.

Just thought you might like to hear about the show--it was good.

Thanks for the info!

hardwood floor

Post by hardwood floor »

princessbaldy wrote:Farrar was the most chatty I've seen and appeared to be having a good time. He said something along the lines of, "We traveled a long way to be here, and it was totally worth it."
holy crap

14 words

that's a god-damn soliloquy

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

princessbaldy wrote:I'm not a regular here or anything, but I caught the Son Volt set in Jackson Hole. I thought it was one of the better Son Volt shows I've seen, and Farrar was the most chatty I've seen and appeared to be having a good time. He said something along the lines of, "We traveled a long way to be here, and it was totally worth it."

They followed the Avett Brothers who are really high energy and very different from SV in stage presence, so I wasn't sure how that would play out with the crowd. However, I thought the crowd was really receptive, and one of the festival organizers said he was surprised at how many people said they came to see Son Volt.

The mix early on was not good, but it was cleaned up by about 4 or 5 songs into the set. Highlights for me were Jet Pilot as well as "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?" as a closer. It was probably the best overall Son Volt set I've seen.

As for reviews from the festival, I haven't read an accurate one yet--and not just regarding band lineups. One said that Kaki King was screaming "above the roar of the pit." Uhhhm, I was in the "pit." There was no roaring. I guess hyperbole is more fun that reality.

sounds good.
looking forward to them playing again back east.
thanks for posting.

princessbaldy

Post by princessbaldy »

I'm not a regular here or anything, but I caught the Son Volt set in Jackson Hole. I thought it was one of the better Son Volt shows I've seen, and Farrar was the most chatty I've seen and appeared to be having a good time. He said something along the lines of, "We traveled a long way to be here, and it was totally worth it."

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

Mark Spencer wrote:Yes, it was me, SLC apparently never got the fruit basket I sent.
"fruit basket"?

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Mark, please start delivering your fruit baskets to the administrator of this site!

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

:lol: Thanks for the laugh, tokyo.

danmen has a point. You can't blame the reporter for some of these errors when the press kit that he/she is expected to use contains inaccurate information. Seriously, what gives, Mr. Farrar?

And these mark the 3rd or 4th shows in a row that no boarder has posted about seeing.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Unfortunately I stumbled onto a blog that purports to be a "review" of the Jackson Hole performance. I dare not post the link here, but suffice it to say it included this classic: "He played a lot of his original music and tossed in a couple of Uncle Tupelo songs for nostalgia's sake."

danmen

Post by danmen »

Mark Spencer wrote:Yes, it was me, SLC apparently never got the fruit basket I sent.

We're doing 10 Second News with the 2 -lap setup. One of my favorites.
Mark, if you check out the stellar press kit section of this website, you will see that you are clearly not a member of SV. Derry and Brad Rice appear prominantly in the photos... At least they did not call you a Boquist or Heidorn. (no offense to those guys).

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

countryfeedback wrote:

10 Second News with lap, best news here all summer. :D
sorry Talus, and congrats on your accomplishment. but a 2 -lap setup on 10 Second News definitely takes the cake on best news of the summer. :)

and is the cutoff Monday of Labor Day weekend or is it the 'official' last day for the "best" news all summer thing.

i'm hoping we still get something to challenge the unexpected and great 10 Second News news...

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

Fruit basket, is that all it takes these days?

10 Second News with lap, best news here all summer. :D

Mark Spencer

Post by Mark Spencer »

Last edited by Mark Spencer on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calexico

Post by calexico »

half-n-half wrote:Image

Nothing wrong with a good old Morse key. When everything else fails due to ECM's the Morse signal, however weak, will get through.