Gardeners/ food planters/harvesters

SPIKE

Post by SPIKE »

I forgot about this thread. I'm elegible to post now!

3 - 4'x4' raised beds and a double barrel composter. We're trying the square foot method. Got a pretty good start too!
Tomatoes, peppers, onions, carrots, lettuce and taters comming up good!

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

i've got 8 buds on my rose bush desipte my hands off approach to clippin'
off the deadheads. just pulled them off when they were dry enough or let them fall on their own.

supposed have some "big" rains this week so it oughta give 'em a good soakin'. :)

Talus

Post by Talus »

derekf wrote:Thanks, Coffee Creek, it was fun building and planting it.

Talus, are you asking for a preference?
I thought that was what those plants were. 8)

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

Talus wrote:Derek: sativa or indica?
a blend, definitely a blend. you wouldn't want the maters to over or underwhelm.

derekf

Post by derekf »

Thanks, Coffee Creek, it was fun building and planting it.

Talus, are you asking for a preference?

Talus

Post by Talus »

Derek: sativa or indica?

Coffee Creek

And ... puts my "buckets" to shame! *lol*

Post by Coffee Creek »

It's looking good, Derek!

derekf

Post by derekf »

November, 2010

February, 2011

Laying it out, March, 2011

Bricks holding down the soaker hose temporarily until I bought landscape fabric pins to hold it down properly.

Hose properly placed and pinned.

Frontal view of same.

These were taken for Cindy, who lives in some place that still has snow on the ground. I do not know how she does it. Further updates to come.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

thanks derekf. but i really dont enjoy signing up for shit. ie. photo bucket

np-front door leaving....

but i digress here is the big news....my rose bushes that are in ground have all these nice buds just ready to pop when they are ready. i counted 6 last night, ON 1 BUSH!! but i watered kinda late so it was an after sundown count....not official.

nice book coffeecreek.

shit i hope that is not my boss behind me.............

Coffee Creek

I'm ready for Spring!

Post by Coffee Creek »

I've just started reading this book:

It lets you set your gardening schedule around your area's average last frost date. Some pretty cool tips and hints and whatnot, too.

I can't wait to get started.

CC

derekf

Post by derekf »

half,

I'm sure there are other folks better equipped to explain how to post pictures but if you go to www.photobucket.com and sign up for an account, you can then upload pictures from your hard drive to your photobucket account then cut and paste the IMG code below each uploaded picture here. It's the same as when you post pictures now but you won't need to click the Img button here.

I'm sure that makes perfect sense. If not, PM Doug.

Your Welcome,
Derek

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

thanks for sharing your ideas, pictures and thoughts. given the time i am going to use some wood from recent pruning to make the walls for little raised beds, (think Lincoln Logs for adults) for my new purchase....the Belindas Dream Rose

so many petals. and smells so divine.
when dried out and dead, pink petals make a visually attaractive addition to a blue clay bowl i have. have i already bragged about my pink petals? sorry for the repeat but they dry reallly pretty.

how do i post pics so i can share my meager garden success?

1/2

derekf

Post by derekf »

Here is some info on using pressure-treated lumber for raised beds. This is where I found the info that makes me not worry about using it. Plus, I happen to know the garage my lumber came from was built in the late 1950's and was torn down in 2008. Since then, it has been laying uncovered and exposed to the elements.

http://www.finegardening.com/design/art ... -beds.aspx

I'm using a few bricks to hold up the sides for now until I figure out a better way to construct it as someone absconded with my nailgun. The boards are about 8 inches tall.

farewellangelina

Post by farewellangelina »

Actually, 1/2ie, it DOES matter. Sorry to report, there indeed are some dangerous chemicals you'd probably rather not put into your body that some wood is treated with (and as you suspect, can leach into the soil and plants when watered). I'm no expert, and I don't have a linkylink, but it's what Ive heard from garden books and publications.

Leaves are a great idea to fill up the bed with, in addition to almost any other compostable matter, including coffee grounds, well-aged chicken, horse, or cow poop. Or you can just fill it with weeds like we do :oops:

Good luck with it! It's a fun project. I discovered with ours, we made them too long, but at least they're only about a meter/yard wide, so we can access stuff and do some weeding when inspired.

Glenn, I like the cinder block idea.

What sort of veggies are you planning on 1/2?

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

I'm using concrete or cinder blocks I managed to salvage from my Father-in-law. I have 16 of them and I plan to to make the bed rectangular. What I like is that each "hole" in the cinder blocks can be used as a separate "pot", ideal for herbs or flowers.