Gardeners/ food planters/harvesters

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Derek* did your elderly woman behind the counter and across the fence give you any lip regarding boundaries? Nice fence job. Can we get any closer shots showing specific wood privacy fence construction or detailing? And are there any shots of shirtless fence builders?

Discuss.

*I like to say Derek

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

Nice Derek! Sounds like some good tomatoes. I had no choice on the beds. Our soil is a concrete like clay that is just hideous.

derekf

Re: Yay!

Post by derekf »

Left A Slide wrote:Finally built some 4X12 raised beds this year. Wished I would have done it years ago!

That does look great. I went back and forth over building raised beds but just couldn't see enough benefit in doing so. Here are a couple of crappy pictures I took of my vegetable garden.

Taken from the deck, the garden is located behind the picket fence.

A little closer.

Really crappy pictures of what I'm growing this year. 4 types of tomatoes, Silver Queen corn, Chinese Purple garlic and another type I can't remember the name of, Good Mother Stallard beans, Cantare green beans and Oregon Sugar Snap peas. Of course my soil doesn't look like that ridiculous stuff in your bed but while quite sandy, it contains a ton of composted material. Considering I'm in Mobile, Alabama, everything should be much bigger than it is at this point but I was having my privacy fence built and had to wait for them to finish before I could plant anything and that put me about 2 weeks behind in getting everything in the ground. Still, everything is flowering so I'll get something. I'm expecting a huge boon in vegetables next year, though. Thanks for sharing.

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

Thanks Halfie. The bird netting is really paying off. I watched a raven try to get at my strawberries for 5 minutes this weekend. Little bastard.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Holy shit thats some nice work there Lefty.

Left A Slide

Yay!

Post by Left A Slide »

Finally built some 4X12 raised beds this year. Wished I would have done it years ago!

derekf

Post by derekf »

Happy Spring!

I was looking at transplanting some in-ground ferns from my mother's house to my own and was wondering if I needed to worry about them poisoning my dogs and cats. I looked up the type of fern, Bracken, and found the ASPCA site stating they are poisonous to horses who may eat them if they have nothing (or not enough) to eat.

Effects include weight loss, incoordination/ excessive staggering (known as "bracken staggers"), the developement of a...

This one line made me think of Jake Walk Blues and then Professor Longhair's Hadacol Bounce. From there I fell into a fit of laughter thinking about Kramer and that girl he broke up with because she had the "Jimmy Legs".

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

must admit, roses get neglected in the summer heat. too darn hot!
found myself pruning by starlite this week. Autumn.. Holla!

SPIKE

Post by SPIKE »

This just in, Chicken Tractor! Got 6 hens a layin' coming next week!

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

darn, nice work spike. adorable toddler!

SPIKE

Post by SPIKE »

Yeah, most pre-made garden stuff is crap! I built my composter and raised beds myself. Pardon my fence...it's not high on the list.

derekf

Post by derekf »

How timely that this should come back up today. Happy first day of Spring, everyone. Here's this year's effort so far. Silver Queen corn, 12 types of tomatoes, 4 types of peppers, cucumbers, and seedless watermelons.

Prior to tilling. The rye grass on the right helps pull nitrogen from the air that was used by last years' crop.

After tilling.

Laying it out.

Soaker hosed.

Caged and mulched.

Spike, can you tell me about this composter you bought? Every one I've looked at seems like garbage. Right now, all of my waste just goes in a pile in the yard and is turned every couple of weeks or so. It works but is extremely slow.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

SPIKE wrote:I forgot about this thread. I'm elegible to post now!

3 - 4'x4' raised beds and a double barrel composter. We're trying the square foot method. Got a pretty good start too!
Tomatoes, peppers, onions, carrots, lettuce and taters comming up good!
that is really awesome!

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

well, i'm not an expert, but something about clipping 1/4 inch above (or below) a cetrain point at a certain angle. i came to think that was too much math and well i dont really think The Creator intended that kind of frustration for my brain. i dont mind experimenting. anyway its good to see you here. you make me laugh all the time.

xoxo,

1/2

farewellangelina

Post by farewellangelina »

Seriously, half, you're supposed to deahead those babies? I had no idea. Well, I guess my cat sorta did last year. Before they actually bloomed. And, while you have rosebuds, I am still waiting on our crocuses.

It would be so sweet if we actually manage to get something growing in our veggie beds this year. I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of sugar peas and a whole lot of calendula.