10 Best Albums Resulting From the Uncle Tupelo Break-Up

calexico

Post by calexico »

Texas Tom wrote:
dcarter wrote: Also were albums by The Autumn Defense, The Bottle Rockets and Gob Iron left off because they were deemed unworthy or because you didn't know that John Stirratt and Brian Henneman

How is the Autumn Defense stuff? Is it experimental like Loose Fur? more melodic?

Loose Fur experimental? Beggars belief. They are pretty much a classic rock band, albeit a little left of centre. Experimental? Never.

Still Be Around

Post by Still Be Around »

Straightaways......where is it?!

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Texas Tom wrote:
dcarter wrote: Also were albums by The Autumn Defense, The Bottle Rockets and Gob Iron left off because they were deemed unworthy or because you didn't know that John Stirratt and Brian Henneman

How is the Autumn Defense stuff? Is it experimental like Loose Fur? more melodic?
The only similarity with Loose Fur is that John and Pat write great songs. The delivery is very different. Gorgeous melodies and harmonies. Poppy in a good way. Beautiful. Check 'em out.

Texas Tom

Post by Texas Tom »

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

I added this to the 'comments': "It is a stretch to say that a Jay Bennett album resulted from the UT dissolution. The proposition that his albums resulted from the break up of Uncle Tupelo is tenuous at best. Also were albums by The Autumn Defense, The Bottle Rockets and Gob Iron left off because they were deemed unworthy or because you didn't know that John Stirratt and Brian Henneman - though Brian unofficially - were in UT and that Jay Farrar and Anders Parker recorded as Gob Iron a couple of years ago and are doing so again?
Otherwise a decent list."

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

"Laughable list. But, this is the internet."-Boner In Sweatpants.
He nailed it. So to speak.

Lakefork

Post by Lakefork »

Anyone else wonder where Gob Iron fits in to this?

The songs may not be Farrar originals, except for all the short instruementals, but I think it's brilliant. Listen to it all the time. Can't wait for next one, whenever it comes out.

Terraplane

Post by Terraplane »

"No. She died over a year ago. Perhaps his dad?"

Shit. Sorry about that.

blueinjun

Post by blueinjun »

I really like the diversity on the list. That said, there are 5 or so albums on there that should/could be replaced by Sebastopol.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

buzzkill

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Terraplane wrote:Wow, who wrote this list, Tweedy's mom ?
No. She died over a year ago. Perhaps his dad?

calexico

Post by calexico »

Terraplane

Post by Terraplane »

Wow, who wrote this list, Tweedy's mom ?

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

Great idea for an article. Leaves lots to talk about.
Straightaways however should be up there. I know taste-is-taste-is-taste, but I always find it funny when people ignore this one; leaving it out feels to me like someone is just following the High Fidelity Standard instead of really getting into it. But then it's often the big UT fans who leave it off so maybe there's some kind of sound there that puts em off or just doesn't get their mojo working as much as the other two early SV albums.
Also Trace probably should be above Being There. Congrats on putting WST above Trace - that is definitely not standard.
I wonder too if Sebastopol doesn't deserve an honorable mention.

hardwood floor

Post by hardwood floor »

The Search is better than any Wilco record.