Guitar Tech Corner

trailrider

Post by trailrider »

Tweety > Farha wrote:
Oh, yeah. My DeVille replaced one of these. Our singer, who plays strictly acoustic, used it for a while. This is one loud SOB of an amp and it's got a nice reverb, too. Might be real spring. However, it's solid state. If your budget allows, go tube. If not, you can pick one of these up on ebay or craigslist for $100-$150.
Last edited by trailrider on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

trailrider wrote:
dbengr69 wrote:I need reccomendations for a new amp.

something small to medium sized, must be versatile, would like one rig to play acoustic and tele through that can do both justice - don't wanna haul a bunch o shit around, don't wanna second mortgage.

thanks in advance.
Check out the Fender Blues Deluxe (40W, 1x12). I have the DeVille (60W, 4x10) and play my acoustic through it a bit and think it sounds pretty good. I love the sound of the Tele through it. It's big and heavy, and a bit of overkill, but I love the tone.
The Blues Deluxe is an excellent call, also like the Peavey Classic 30 alot. The Vox Valvetronix modeling amps are good to. I've got an AD50VT(changed out the stock speaker with a Celestion V30) that sounds great in smaller rooms.

This is just me, but I wouldn't recommend an electric guitar amp for acoustic guitar. I think you'll like your acoustic sound better running it direct into your mixer via either a pickup or a good mic. There are amps out there specifically for acoustic guitar but I know nothing about 'em....

Grifterwithafunnylittleha

Post by Grifterwithafunnylittleha »

something small to medium sized, must be versatile, would like one rig to play acoustic and tele through that can do both justice - don't wanna haul a bunch o shit around, don't wanna second mortgage.

thanks in advance.
Take your key guitars to a choice shop and work out their amps. Try to go before the kids wake up from drinking or high school. Listen real good but don't play loud. You'll burn your ears too fast otherwise.

Your tone hound,
Cornbread Pasta

trailrider

Post by trailrider »

thanks in advance.
Check out the Fender Blues Deluxe (40W, 1x12). I have the DeVille (60W, 4x10) and play my acoustic through it a bit and think it sounds pretty good. I love the sound of the Tele through it. It's big and heavy, and a bit of overkill, but I love the tone.

Low4

Post by Low4 »

MrOctober, THAT is a stunning guitar. Holy cats.

dbengr69

Post by dbengr69 »

I need reccomendations for a new amp.

thanks in advance.

MrOctober

Post by MrOctober »

Good idea, I thought it might be nice to fix up a crappy Fender - but do yourself a favor and save up for a Creston Guitar. :wink:

Check out my Pennsylvania Railroad model on his site:

http://www.crestonguitars.com/gallery/d ... hp?gid=112

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

I need to take a picture of my neighbors guitar room so you all can cream your pants.

Low4

Post by Low4 »

Grifter, I just used a USA '52 reissue bridge, the kind with the three brass saddles. If you're picky about your intonation, the three saddle bridges can give you problems, but it doesn't bother me. If it bugs you, you can try some o' them compensated saddles. The USA vintage bridge might be stamped out of a little thicker steel, which probably helps, too. I have had good luck with Angela.com as far as Fender parts go, or you can try your luck on fleabay. If you haven't done so already, check out the Telecaster Discussion Page at tdpri.com. There's loads of helping friendly folks there who eat, sleep and breathe this stuff.

dbengr69

Post by dbengr69 »

Tupelo Son wrote:
dbengr69 wrote:related/unrelated question...

what is the pickup that I've noticed Jay has now mounted in bonerzinger acoustics?

thanks in advance...
The pickup in your chicago pics looks like a LR Baggs M1

thx tom.

Grifterwithafunnylittleha

You damnright

Post by Grifterwithafunnylittleha »

Hi Low4,

"Good to meet you; can you guess my name?" RS

Where can I get one of those bridges? I've been looking for one for years. Seriously. You're the first person to agree. I need one bad.

Do you know where to get one? No joke, dood.

I appreciate any recommendations.

Love,
Sport Pony

Low4

If I remember correctly...

Post by Low4 »

Fender was using alot of poplar for the Mexican guitars in that timeframe. You didn't mention the bridge, but if I were putting a nice set of P90 type pups in my mexicaster, I'd replace the bridge with a vintage-style three barrel bridge. If I remember correctly, it bolts right up. I made this switch on a Tele I owned years ago, and found it vastly increased the sustain. The main thing is to have some fun with it.

the art guy

Post by the art guy »

Creston! Man! There are a lot more guitars on your site than there used to be. I just spent some time drooling over the basses you've done. I'm thinking I need to sell the old Mustang to finance me a Creston.......

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

Creston Electric wrote: The wood for that guitar, by the way, came from timbers from AP's mom's barn.
that is what sets it apart.

Creston Electric

Post by Creston Electric »

The guitar in that video of Mark and Jay has humbucker-size Harmonic Design Z90s in it. Mark chose those. I'd never used them before or since.

Anders's Wormwood guitar has a Lollar standard-wind soapbar in the bridge and a reissue Fender Wide Range humbucker that was rebuilt by Curtis Novak. But those are both recent changes. For all those Gob Iron shows and the recording of the as-yet-unreleased Gob Iron record, it had a cheap GFS P-90 and the stock Wide Range. The wood for that guitar, by the way, came from timbers from AP's mom's barn.