What is the biggest diff. between jf.net & Via Chicago?

MrOctober

Post by MrOctober »

I never understood TB. Maybe it was the complete plethora of totally unnecessary tracks. Maybe it was that the album seemed loaded with filler "alternate versions." I'm not sure. I once trimmed it down to a respectable 8 track EP that I enjoyed mildly, but it still has never really found its way into rotation. I still think of it as the worst Jay-related release too. This is due entirely to Space Junk and alternates. It just felt like he could have done better.
Sounds a lot like I"d describe everything by the viaChicago band - never understood it.

Of course, on the other hand I'd say Terroir Blues is possibly Farrar's best work. Certainly his best outside of SV.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

It isn't one thread. I have been posting there going on 21/2 years and I rarely see an anti-Jay post when his name is mentioned. At worst, all he gets is honest criticism. It doesn't compare, Glenn.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

dcarter wrote:Interesting response, spark and interesting non-responses most everyone else. You know that if someone started a jf.net thread entitled "Jeff Tweedy... is a Genius", the responses would be swift negative and uncomplimentary. That is bullshit. I have never read anything about Jay at VC that comes close to the shit posted everytime Jeff's name is mentioned here. I just wanted to point that out.
Maybe times have changed, but 3-4 years ago when I posted at VC there
were plenty of anti-jay sentiments, as well as pro-jay sentiments. I don't
think one thread is really indicative of overall sentiment.

Plus Tweedy is still a whiny pussy. ;)

danmen

Post by danmen »

Wilco is on Colbert Report this Thursday 10.30.08 Comedy Central 10:30pm Central Time. Set DVR accordingly.

anadyne2112

Post by anadyne2112 »

Actually, there is a lot of shit and negative responses no matter what the topic is. :?

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Interesting response, spark and interesting non-responses most everyone else. You know that if someone started a jf.net thread entitled "Jeff Tweedy... is a Genius", the responses would be swift negative and uncomplimentary. That is bullshit. I have never read anything about Jay at VC that comes close to the shit posted everytime Jeff's name is mentioned here. I just wanted to point that out.

Spark Mensa

Post by Spark Mensa »

Precious. Keep us updated on the new She & Him record also. Thank you kindly.

trailrider

Post by trailrider »

QUOTE (JayFarrar @ Oct 22 2008, 11:56 AM) *
Hey, you guys know I have my own message board you can kiss my ass on, right?

Interesting that even Jay posts over there with all those punk-ass Tweedy-lovers.

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

This was my favorite one. Its so viachicago.

QUOTE (Rider @ Oct 22 2008, 12:15 PM)
yeah, mark was with him. awesome lap steel player. wonder why he didn't join the 'new' son volt. would've fit perfectly.
I agree with you. My guess, based on looking at the band, he's too old?

:D :D :D :D

dcarter

What is the biggest diff. between jf.net & Via Chicago?

Post by dcarter »

Other than real admin/mods, of course!!

Not one anti-Jay response. If the linked thread's counterpart was ever posted here, the resulting posts would be markedly different. Which is bullshit. Can you imagine the venomous responses that would follow?

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=37430