pitchfork review

smoke

Post by smoke »

LSF, I defer all future fake album reviews to you.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

scalzunfield

Post by scalzunfield »

I honestly don't think the review was THAT bad. First off, 6.5 out of 10 isn't bad for someone NO ONE in the world outside this board seems to listen to anymore (that may sound harsh, but it's sadly quite true). Frankly, I think Farrar with some "back-up band" is gonna leave something lacking, maybe not so much as him solo, but still a little something missing. No one here can deny the chemistry between the Boquists, Heidorn, and Jay. I just don't sense it's there with Canyon on that kind of level.

However, the review does go wrong when it compares the Farrar "Family" to the Tweedy "camp" or whatever the fuck it was. Frankly, that's quite a ridiculous comparison these days. The only thing the two have in common now besides Tupelo 10+ years ago is the fact that they do whatever the hell they want musically and if you don't like it, tough shit. I still don't think people get that.

I have been one to speak out against Terroir Blues in the past, but it has grown ever so slightly on me with passing listens. I applaud Jay entirely for doing what he wants, no matter how much I don't like it (half the Sebastopol and Terroir Blues are kind of forgettable IMO). However, I have enough faith in Jay that I think the album will at least hold a few very good moments. The 6.5 score the review gave was probably right on (I'll judge after hearing the whole album) but the reasons were quite retarded.

Oh well...

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Or Richard Simmons... Or Gene Simmons.

sawyer

Post by sawyer »

i don't read reviews. i'll make my own decision thank you very much. 8) for all i know the reviewer is into Barry Manilow or opera or the Bee Gees....

badmofaux

Post by badmofaux »

I don't know. I don't think it was such a bad review. While I haven't heard the new album yet, the references they make to Jay's other solo stuff rings true for me. I mean, I'm a big fan and everything but it's never been a problem for me to criticize those whom I respect. I don't follow along with that whole slavish sycophantic kind of mentality any more than I would expect someone to regard myself in the same manner.

Personally, I look forward to this release because I'm hoping it will address the primary issue I've had with all of Jay's solo output: lack of live band ambience. I'm just talking about swing, and energy, and the chemistry and everything. Terroir Blues adressed the issue, partially... but it's still a case of too much of one dude all the time. I just need to hear that "band" thing, I guess. I'm hoping this record will scratch that itch.

creekwader

Post by creekwader »

All things considered, especially the source, the bitchfork review could have been alot worse. Go read the 3rdshift... review.

hot burrito

Post by hot burrito »

Is this guy a cock sucker or what?

Barnum

Post by Barnum »

While the guy who wrote the review for Pitchfork is a dipshit, I do have a question.

Let's look at another "seminal band" and their now solo lead singer - the Replacements and Paul Westerberg and compare them to the situation the dipshit describes.

What's the difference?

Voltage75

Post by Voltage75 »

I hate the pitchfork site i went
there the other night cause i just
had to see what they were saying
now and as always they were bashing
wilco's music i'm sure their not
really big fans of jay or jeff as
all the reviews seem to lead toward
the negative everytime and as for
them saying stuff like uninspired
music? they must be joking..jay's
sebastopol and terrior blues are
some of the best albums i heard
from any artist in the last ten years, i think terrior blues is one
of the most beautiful albums ever made both of his solo outputs has
emotion and they make you feel
something, it moves you unlike alot
of crap out there today my review of pitchfork's site is that it's
uninspired and it sucks i give it

nova

Post by nova »

it definitely seems like farrar is one of the lone figures critics feel it is safe to bash. why this is when it's clear jay is simply exploring his muse quietly without seeking a vast pop audience ot begin with is unclear. he has support to do what he wants and does it. for some reason this seems to offend rock critics (since meltzer and bangs this professionalized bunch grow ever more corduroy, by the way). this wouldn't be so bad (because jay is guaranteed re-discovery constantly in the future) or so really disheartening if it weren't that jay's music, relatively alone in his generation, is consistently and constantly political. makes you wonder why he needs to be silenced so much -- to the point of calling doesnt have to be this way adult contemporary and not mentioning the subject matter at all, the fact that it's making the call on the fall of american democracy, on the airwaves. how unfashionable.

countryBoy

Post by countryBoy »

Sad that he is constantly being measured up to himself, my guess is if he ever decides to do Trace part two he'll get panned for that too. Its a no win for him. It doesn't help that most critics think he's in a race with Tweedy, who's winning streak is undeniable but has nothing to do with Jay. He is in a tough spot and may never escape the far cast of his Uncle Tupelo\Son Volt shadow. But until he releases a slam dunk this is gonna happen, even on this board when someone asks what to use to turn people onto Jay the standard answer is Trace or Anodyne.

cowboydown

Post by cowboydown »

corduroy = yuppie scum. Yes?

stretch

Post by stretch »

I think I gotsa corduroy jacket from the 70's..in my closet and the ony pills I pop now a advils and well I like hanging with normal indie-types verses those others ...we all know who they are....

cowboydown

Re: AMG review

Post by cowboydown »

head tone harmony wrote:http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-re ... ghts.shtml

For all of us hardcore Jay fans.
About what you would expect from pitchfork.
And another:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... jb7i34g7or

Can't please everybody and I'M the ONLY one that counts! so, reviews are nothing but different perspectives for me....