The Replacements & altcountry

dphillips

Post by dphillips »

Hey, nice! Riviera is my band and we opened for Jay in Des Moines Saturday. Great show. It was my second time seeing Jay and I was NOT disappointed. Very cool venue too.

Robert Ackley

Post by Robert Ackley »

Riviera, who opened for Jay in Des Moines on Saturday, cover the Replacements' "Can't Hardly Wait." Check it out, it's pretty sweet.
http://www.riviera-sound.com/downloads/ ... lyWait.mp3

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

The core replacement LPs (atleast to me) Tim, Let It Be and Pleased to meet me are classics. Paul Westerberg Never did much for me solo.. then again Wasnt the last Mat cd effictivly a solo cd? Maybe I just gave up on Paul. Jay on the other hand I feel his solo stuff is as good as UT & SV. Sebastapol and Terroir Blues were powerful records IMHO.

Bob Mould on the otherhand his first 2 solo LP's were fantastic and better than any Husker Du LP. Workbook would be in my all time favorite 5. I did like all the sugar cd but the later solo stuff was veryu spotty LIke File under easy listening and Modulate was the biggest piece of S**T I ever heard. But seeing Bob Mould solo live at the Park West with just his three guitars was absolutly fantastic... He must have broke 6 or 7 strings.

Hank Snow

Westerberg

Post by Hank Snow »

I do like that Westerberg solo album with "Time Flies Tomorrow" and "Love Untold", that is the only one I have heard much of. I love the Replacements, and I think it is true that when they were loose and sloppy they were better, just like a lot of great small time bands, big label pressure and success CAN MAKE YOU WORSE, NOT BETTER. I really love that song "Swinging Party".

miepmiep

Post by miepmiep »

If you like the Mould/Westerberg solo stuff more, I have 1 advise: listen again :twisted: !!!!

cowboydown

Bob's Dong

Post by cowboydown »

RobUA03 wrote:"Tim" is one of my all time favorites. I think I'm partial to the Bob Stinson days of the "Mats than the latter stuff. Anyone else?
Only when he kept his pants on... Mats started to fade when they were pressured by their label(s) to get serious a.k.a. the later stuff.

RobUA03

Post by RobUA03 »

"Tim" is one of my all time favorites. I think I'm partial to the Bob Stinson days of the "Mats than the latter stuff. Anyone else?

mikewilliamson

Re: door mats

Post by mikewilliamson »

="windfall"
Bold statement. I suggest you go back and listen to 'Let It Be', 'Tim' or 'Pleased To Meet Me'.

Jay's finest moment to me was in Son Volt though.
Those three are my favorite REPLACEMENTS records, for sure. I love them dearly. But still...All three seem sort of scattershot compared to something so focused as SUICANE.

And, were it not for TERROIR, I would agree that Jay's best work was in SON VOLT. All three SON VOLT albums are flawless, me thinks.

Mike

Windfall

Post by Windfall »

mikewilliamson wrote:
cowboydown wrote: But I like SUICANE and STERO/MONO better than probably any REPLACEMENTS record.

Mike
Bold statement. I suggest you go back and listen to 'Let It Be', 'Tim' or 'Pleased To Meet Me'. I dig Paul's solo stuff too, but those three Mats albums are the pinnacle of his career. I agree with you about Bob Mould--I like his solo stuff more than his Husker Du days. Jay's finest moment to me was in Son Volt though.

mikewilliamson

Post by mikewilliamson »

cowboydown wrote: westerburg was one of my favorite singer/songwriters - right up there with jay, but after he went solo his favor slipped with me greatly. I dont like his solo stuff and his latest songs are meaningless to me.

Is there something wrong with me? I hear this argument all the time. Same with virtually EVERY "Band" guy that went solo. Jay included.

Am I crazy actually liking WESTERBERG's solo stuff MORE than the Mats? Well, not all of it. His first two solo records were mediocre. But I like SUICANE and STERO/MONO better than probably any REPLACEMENTS record.

I like TERROIR better than any UNCLE TUPELO record.

I like WORKBOOK and "HUBCAP" at least as much as my favorite HUSKER DU record "WAREHOUSE". (Though Bob's other "band" record COPPER BLUE is my favorite overall)

For some reason, I tend to be drawn to the solo records for these artists.

I know in WESTERBERG's case, that's partly because I always thought REPLACEMENTS records had too many goofy throwaways in between the classics, and I just don't really hear any goofy throwaways on my favorite solo records of his. They're more consistent to me.

And that's what I think about that.

Mike

Bigb

Post by Bigb »

cowboydown wrote:the mat's didn't take themselves seriously and i dont think jay was/is influenced by them in *any* significant way - if at all. i dont agree with alot of your arguement regarding their influence on the name drops in your post. nirvana and the mats? drag the river? nope.... ya think hootenany started the alt-country movement? ut didn't start it and jay knows it and refuses to comment on it (other then a smile) as its a waste of time to go into.

westerburg was one of my favorite singer/songwriters - right up there with jay, but after he went solo his favor slipped with me greatly. I dont like his solo stuff and his latest songs are meaningless to me.
I agree with you that the 'mats had absolutely nothing to do with Alt-Country. I think that they share a lot of the fans as the 'mats and some of the alt-country bands because they have a similar 'spirit'.

Anyway, I think you should give Westerberg's solo stuff another shot. Come Feel Me Tremble and Dead Man Shake (Grandpaboy) are two of the best releases from last year. I highly recommend them if you are a Replacements fan.

Godsownsinger

THE MATS!!!

Post by Godsownsinger »

One of Americas greatest rock n roll bands. Saw them a long time ago , I think on the tour for Dont Tell a Soul. Fishbone opened up, it was a sweet show. 8)

cowboydown

door mats

Post by cowboydown »

the mat's didn't take themselves seriously and i dont think jay was/is influenced by them in *any* significant way - if at all. i dont agree with alot of your arguement regarding their influence on the name drops in your post. nirvana and the mats? drag the river? nope.... ya think hootenany started the alt-country movement? ut didn't start it and jay knows it and refuses to comment on it (other then a smile) as its a waste of time to go into.

westerburg was one of my favorite singer/songwriters - right up there with jay, but after he went solo his favor slipped with me greatly. I dont like his solo stuff and his latest songs are meaningless to me.

badmofaux

Post by badmofaux »

There were other bands doing the same thing, tho. Not to discredit the argument, cuz the Replacements were the first true "midwestern" band to really hit the map in an important way, methinks. But there were others. "Alternative" music had lots of country-ish elements floating around at the time. Firehose, Meat Puppets, Souled American, Field Trip, Beat Farmers, The Blasters... the list goes on. REM even had a bit of that flavor going on. It didn't suprise me at all when UT came along. They hit the nail squarely on the head in a way that no one had previous, but it's not as if they pulled their sound out of the vapor.

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

So can we expect Jay to be singing Gary got a Boner on this tour? Or Jeff?