56%
Dislike Poetry
No votes
Not really bothered
44%

Total votes: 9

Talus

Post by Talus »

I do enjoy Wilfred Owen. That shit scares me. Sigfried Sassoon also.

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

Some of my best friends are poets. It means a lot to them. But I'm not a big poetry fan when it comes in the form of "poetry," which is mostly and deservedly a dead genre. I guess I do like poetry when it's big and scary, like it was for modernists and beats and rap and such.
Whitman, Ginsberg, Stein, Heaney, Nuala Ni Dhomhnaill. Stipe, Farrar, Springsteen. There is lots to love.
And of course Everybody Loves Bernstein. Check out his hilarious yellow pages ads with Jon Lovitz at http://www.writing.upenn.edu/pennsound/ ... in-YP.html

sand dusky

Re: poetry

Post by sand dusky »

agrimm wrote:i think poetry is still appreciated... somewhat under the radar in terms of popularity... i think our popular culture outshines it like light pollution from a city or used car parking lot... kind dims and blots out our vision of the nighttime sky... yikes, perhaps i'm getting a bit heavy handed on that image... but to me that's what it seems like.

i'm not too much into poetry... but i read a lot... i teach high school English... and feel compelled to abuse the ellipses marks as frequently as i can... we just finished up the harlem renaissance and read "Sonny's Blues" by James Baldwin. good stuff...

but back to my metaphor...

the media coverage given to gossip girl really trumps "the poets studying the rules of verse." however, its there and people do read it... i think there's an audience for everything... just not at the same volume (both volumes i mean)

i haven't posted this much since aught 4

thanks,

grimm
so how do you find reading the more esoteric English poets like Larkin? The reason i ask is because I feel English or British poets do a good line on grim, dour and downbeat. Not something naturally assosciated with the american psyche. Also on the flip side I find it really hard to find the right tempo to enjoy some of your finest/Famous poets like walt wittman and alan ginsberg.........although i like edgar allen po

sand dusky

Post by sand dusky »

i will check out snyder.

I have had no choice but to have read shakspear out loud. Being English we are force fed him and Chaucer at School. I just don't find him engaging.
I appreciate i am in a minority and i really want to like his work but I for the most part I don't.
If i read Charge of the light brigade by Tennyson......I am riding into the valley of death along with the other 600

agrimm

poetry

Post by agrimm »

i think poetry is still appreciated... somewhat under the radar in terms of popularity... i think our popular culture outshines it like light pollution from a city or used car parking lot... kind dims and blots out our vision of the nighttime sky... yikes, perhaps i'm getting a bit heavy handed on that image... but to me that's what it seems like.

i'm not too much into poetry... but i read a lot... i teach high school English... and feel compelled to abuse the ellipses marks as frequently as i can... we just finished up the harlem renaissance and read "Sonny's Blues" by James Baldwin. good stuff...

but back to my metaphor...

the media coverage given to gossip girl really trumps "the poets studying the rules of verse." however, its there and people do read it... i think there's an audience for everything... just not at the same volume (both volumes i mean)

i haven't posted this much since aught 4

thanks,

grimm

sand dusky

Post by sand dusky »

dcarter wrote:I can appreciate poetry but rarely read it. I have friends that are serious poets. They have been published etc. When exposed to good poetry I can distinguish it from bloody awful poetry and can find pleasure in it. I just don't get into it enough to seek it out.

I must say that it is difficult to think of you as a serious poetry buff when I glance at your avatar. :lol:
tis the Diversity of man that allows me the scope

Grifterwithafunnylittleha

Build a fire and read some poetry

Post by Grifterwithafunnylittleha »

Have you ever really read WS aloud through all acts/all scenes? Or just watched distilled films/school plays? Do you know the vocabulary? The inflections?

What a way to encourage a thread, Namesakesongofallinstrumentalsunkietupe ...

You ever read Gary Snyder? It might trip you up a little since you are a fan of the Larkin. Winky, wink and a wakka!

Your Big Poetry Lover,
Grifter

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

I can appreciate poetry but rarely read it. I have friends that are serious poets. They have been published etc. When exposed to good poetry I can distinguish it from bloody awful poetry and can find pleasure in it. I just don't get into it enough to seek it out.

I must say that it is difficult to think of you as a serious poetry buff when I glance at your avatar. :lol:

sand dusky

Post by sand dusky »

At the moment i am reading Pablo Neruda, Wilfred Owen and Alfred lord Tennyson.

sand dusky

Post by sand dusky »

shakey doesn't really do it for me. He leaves me a little cold as a poet. Great story teller and i do occassionally find accord whith his poetry but rarely.

Grifterwithafunnylittleha

Post by Grifterwithafunnylittleha »

"Once more into the breach ..." - William Shakespeare, Henry V (or mebbe IV, I don't have my Riverside edition immediately available, Part II (I think. But I love young Hal and Falstaff the most. Though, I can't ever forget when the prince became King and encouraged me into battle.)

I love William Shakespeare.

War Horse

sand dusky

Post by sand dusky »

Thank's Larry.......truly inspiring stuff...............but tell me.....Juarez....that's you really isn't it?

trousersnakeandlarry

Post by trousersnakeandlarry »

Thundercat

Alone I sleep

Thunderclap from within

Awake, cry to the beast

Bedfart

Where’s the cat?
Last edited by trousersnakeandlarry on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

trousersnakeandlarry

Post by trousersnakeandlarry »

Dance of the Street-Vendor Romeo

“Mamacita” he calls,

“Show me what you got!”

She is a nurse, a professional caregiver.

Bone-tired she says,

“All I do is give. When does it ever end?”

Her uniform, all the whiteness, drives men to passionate statements,

“Keep the hat on, baby.”

“Not this man,” she thinks as she unbuttons her top. “No uniform for this one.”

“Damn, it worked,” Juarez thought, as his ballparks boiled over.

He noted his cologne and retired the pushcart.
Last edited by trousersnakeandlarry on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

sand dusky

Poet's Corner

Post by sand dusky »

i have decided to put myself up for ridicule by declaring my love of poetry. I'm just wondering if anyone else shares my passion and if so who is your favourite poet or what is your favourite poem.
sorry if this comes across as too hi-brow and pompous.
I was spurred on to do this my a fellow member spotting my sig. as the opening line to Larkins 'This be the Verse'. Just made me wonder if poetry is an appreciated art form in modern day society.