Wilco last night in Atlanta

clarkma5

Post by clarkma5 »

keith21 wrote:Why do people believe that people like Jeff should keep quiet? He obviously feels strongly about what he is saying (I still don't understand how you could not) and if he's got the means to get a message across let him do it. You don't have to go. You don't have to listen.
Thank you, I agree with that 100%! He's a person, just like you or I, and he lives in a free country, he has every right to tell anybody who's gonna listen about his views. You don't have to listen, you don't have to take his views as your own, but you do have to respect his right to say what he wants to!

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Why do people believe that people like Jeff should keep quiet? He obviously feels strongly about what he is saying (I still don't understand how you could not) and if he's got the means to get a message across let him do it. You don't have to go. You don't have to listen.

jeffra

Post by jeffra »

Hmm...interesting. Jay and Jeff prescribe to the same political party...

Not going to vote for Kerry, but would attend a concert for Kerry if Jay and Jeff would play together!! HA

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

a "be sure to vote" is appropriate, but definitely not interested in his views, only the music. going to see them here in raleigh tomorrow night. anyone else going? hope he doesn't start spewing a bunch o' political garbage- for the left or the right. should have joined the "swing state tour" for that soapbox oppurtunity.....

how about this joseph arthur opener? anyone know anything about him?

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

I didn't catch that first time around. Why is that TinyE? Also, surely you don't think the bombs and bullets have only hit military targets. I would hate to think of the staggering number of Iraqi civilians we have killed in order to "Liberate" them. I am sure it is on the net some where.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

TinyElvis wrote:You cannot compare experimenting with human embryos in the name of "science" to a military operation targeting military forces. That's elementary and rather stupid.

TinyE
Why is science in quotes?

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

I saw them in Austin last week, Stubbs and the Fest, and one thing I discovered right away was that the songs that were lacking something on AGIB sound INCREDIBLE live. That 6 piece band kicks serious ass.

He didn't make any political statements there, but did say at both concerts "Be sure to Vote". He didn't mention sides or candidates that I remember.

While we know it is silly to argue politics on here, and we have different opinions, surely TinyElvis you must admit that lies, fraud, and deceit applies to the characteristics of both the left AND the right. Both sides are full of shit for the most part.

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

Hank Snow wrote:Not always a big fan of musicians spewing their politics, but I must say I agree with every word, most especially the hypocrisy of being Anti Stem Cell Research but Pro Dropping Bombs.

Freedom of Speech Rules.
Yep, it does rule. But it sure is sad to see someone like Tweedy buy into the lies, fraud, and deceit of the left. Wasn't Kerry the one who admitted to committing atrocities in Vietnam.. and then lied about it.. then changed his mine.. then accused his fellow soliders of doing it?

You cannot compare experimenting with human embryos in the name of "science" to a military operation targeting military forces. That's elementary and rather stupid.

In my opinion, Wilco needs to focus on putting out decent music again (rather than politics) instead of the pseduo-art-rock crap on AGIB. If Tweedy thinks poor production and noise make for "art" he is surely misguided.

TinyE

Godsownsinger

Post by Godsownsinger »

Be nice to Dexter, you dont have to read, or write to knock the crap out of someone on the football field, or to graduate from Oklahoma State!! :lol:

GO REDSKINS!

sawyer

Post by sawyer »

Dexter Manley says "W stands for Kerry."

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

Not always a big fan of musicians spewing their politics, but I must say I agree with every word, most especially the hypocrisy of being Anti Stem Cell Research but Pro Dropping Bombs.

Freedom of Speech Rules.

Murphy

Post by Murphy »

Sounds pretty much right on the mark to me. Are people really upset about Tweedy making these points? I still don't know, however, what the heck StraightFaced meant about those W stickers not standing for wilco. Is this a reference to the stickers that depict a W with a circle and a slash through it? If so, it is obvious what they mean and Jeff (along with everyone else) has every right in the world to express such sentiments.

fraggle

RE: rolling stone

Post by fraggle »

You go, Jeff!

Voices for Change

From Bruce Springsteen to Jadakiss, artists speak out about John Kerry, George Bush and what's at stake on Election Day

As the election approaches, some of rock & roll's biggest artists are embarking on a tour with an unprecedented message: Vote for change. While musicians have played benefits for candidates in the past, nothing on this scale has ever been attempted: a nine-day tour of Ohio, Florida and seven other swing states, culminating on October 11th in a historic concert in Washington, D.C. Spearheaded by Bruce Springsteen, Dave Matthews Band, Dixie Chicks and R.E.M., the tour is expected to raise $10 million to mobilize voters. On the eve of this ambitious undertaking, [i]ROLLING STONE asked twenty-six artists to discuss why they're voting - and why this election is so important.

Jeff Tweedy
WILCO
When people ask why this election is so close, I can't explain it. It's like trying to figure out how Billy Ray Cyrus sold 10 million records. The Republicans have done an extremely good job of appropriating populist themes. They somehow make it seem as though they're a party of the people, even though their policies hurt some of their most ardent supporters.

Bush's hypocrisy is simply staggering. He argues that stem-cell research is not justified because of the sanctity of unborn life - yet he insists that dropping bombs on innocent people will lead to a better world. I'm also worried that if he is re-elected, he may have the chance to appoint more conservative judges to the Supreme Court. He could undo three generations of progress in this country toward civil equality and women's rights.

I will vote for John Kerry, and I'll do it with a good conscience. I believe that he's our only shot at steering this ship back to some calmer waters. I agree that Kerry has flip-flopped on some ideas, but I take that as a sign of intelligence. I trust someone more if he re-examines his positions and has the ability to be introspective. There's no end to the horrific things you can do when you believe you're always right.

the rest of them
www.rollingstone.com/news...id/6487639

Murphy

Re: Wilco last night in Atlanta

Post by Murphy »

StraightFaced wrote::evil:

Jeff Tweedy needs to keep his politics to himself.
All those "W" stickers do not stand for Wilco.

Please elaborate on this, will ya?

StraightFaced

Wilco last night in Atlanta

Post by StraightFaced »

:evil:

Jeff Tweedy needs to keep his politics to himself.
All those "W" stickers do not stand for Wilco.

Setlist:

Hummingbird (ghost)
Muzzle Of Bees (ghost)
Company In My Back (ghost)
I Am Trying To Break Your Heart (YHF)
War On War (YHF)
A Shot In The Arm (BeingThere)
Via Chicago (AM)
At Least That's What You Said (ghost)
Jesus, Etc.(YHF)
Handshake Drugs (ghost)
Kingpin (Being There)