Wilco last night in Atlanta

countryBoy

Post by countryBoy »

I think the less than one minute political offerings Jeff has blurted out lately have been blown out of proportion. He has always been left leaning, so has Jay. Both have written songs about it and this is nothing new. Why is it bothering folks so much now? With all that is bad in the world you choose this to be irritated about? If you don't like it sell your tickets people, Wilco sells out nearly every show and someone will be glad to sit through less than one minute of harmless ranting to see the best show on the planet right now.

Long Slow Fade

Re: Politics in my music

Post by Long Slow Fade »

cowboydown wrote:Everyone knows that Bush is an idiot and a virus; can't run this country and needs to be removed at once. Hell, someone needs to shoot the fucker and several members of his staff...
Internet tough guy. :roll:

So my remarks are idiotic, huh? Okay. I see it like this: It is insulting to me to hear some performer tell me how I should think concerning politics. Why would I listen to Jeff Tweedy's opinions on anything aside from music? HE'S A GODDAMN MUSICIAN. If you're Jeff Tweedy and you want to convey your political views WRITE A SONG ABOUT THEM. If you're Aaron Spelling make a shitty tv show about it. If you're Michael Moore make up some shit and call it a documentary while you shove cheeseburgers and pie down your gaping maw.

My point is that just because you can carry a tune and play a song it doesn't mean that you are somehow more enlightened than we the ignorant audience-meat. To use a musician's stage as a bully pulpit is shameful. The folks in the crowd paid to hear your songs, not your ill-informed nonsensical notions on whatever the subject at hand is.

Now, I know someone out there is going to scream "FREE SPEECH!!!!" so let just point out right now that I'm not saying musicians should be arrested for speaking out. I'm just saying that I'm going to call them on it when they run off at the mouth. Which, by the way, is my First Amendment right.
Last edited by Long Slow Fade on Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davedirt

Post by davedirt »

countryBoy wrote:I doubt you'd be as understanding if someone made the same comment about killing a family member, could you get over it.
\

He was not saying that he would go out and off the President, he was merely stating that he would not lose any sleep if this were to happen. I was merely stating that it makes me very sad to think that we live amongst a nation of tattle-tales. "Oooh, oooh, Mr. Kotter, someone made fun of Dubya- put him in jail!" This is what makes me sad. The fact that a friggin' middle-schooler can be detained by the CIA for making a caricature of the President bothers me very much.

davedirt- and now, back to the music.

countryBoy

Post by countryBoy »

I doubt you'd be as understanding if someone made the same comment about killing a family member, could you get over it.

cowboydown

Post by cowboydown »

countryBoy wrote:What makes me sad is someone threatning to shoot the President online, even in jest it is creepy. At the risk of the guy being even half serious he should be reported. That was really F'd up.
Get over it.

countryBoy

Post by countryBoy »

What makes me sad is someone threatning to shoot the President online, even in jest it is creepy. At the risk of the guy being even half serious he should be reported. That was really F'd up.

davedirt

Post by davedirt »

I've forwarded your post to the proper authorities. I'll congratulate you in advance for being added to a watch list.

TinyE[/quote]

You make me sad. Long live the Gestapo.

davedirt

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

When he's being paid good money to perform for us we have every right to expect him to STFU.
Man that was really stupid thing to say. I don't see it as I am paying good money for Jeff Tweedy or anyone to perform for me. That is what happens when you see Rod Stewart in Las Vegas. I am paying money to see great musicians do what they do, not what I want them to do or dictate to them to do. My part of it is I am a fan, their part of it is that they are song writers and musicians. If they want to rant, let them rant. I saw Wilco in Austin, and a if the Atlanta show was anywhere near as good as the Austin show, he can't rant all day long. This is the best band out there, period.

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

cowboydown wrote:Everyone knows that Bush is an idiot and a virus; can't run this country and needs to be removed at once. Hell, someone needs to shoot the fucker and several members of his staff...
I've forwarded your post to the proper authorities. I'll congratulate you in advance for being added to a watch list.

TinyE

countryBoy

Post by countryBoy »

When he's being paid good money to perform for us we have every right to expect him to STFU.
This is the most idiotic remark I've ever seen on a message board. LSF did somebody hack your user id?

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Long Slow Fade wrote:When he's being paid good money to perform for us we have every right to expect him to STFU.
So now the fans are defining what a performance should be? What if they don't like the music? Should they demand he stop playing or should they just stop listening? If you don't like it, don't spend your money, its just that simple.

snail51

Post by snail51 »

I think it's interesting that John Prine is doing "Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore" in concerts again. Seems like deja vu all over again, as Yogi would say. I remember when he did that song during Vietnam! Yeah, I'm that old. He's also doing another song with a jab at our Commander-in Thief. Great concert available on easytree.

Cowboydown--LOL

Joe

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

keith21 wrote:Why do people believe that people like Jeff should keep quiet? He obviously feels strongly about what he is saying (I still don't understand how you could not) and if he's got the means to get a message across let him do it. You don't have to go. You don't have to listen.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

I agree with most of your post but there are some very good "political" albums. Greendale by Neil Young and Crazy Horse and The Empire Strikes First by Bad Religion (all of their albums could be listed as well) are two.

cowboydown

Politics in my music

Post by cowboydown »

I dont care if musicians write a song about there political views. A whole album, now that would be retarted. Love Jay's new song DHTBTW. At shows, if my band is spoutin' off about this or that I don't care--if you DO, please tell me why you hate to hear which way they lean at a show. Does it really matter to you? Let's hear why....

Everyone knows that Bush is an idiot and a virus; can't run this country and needs to be removed at once. Hell, someone needs to shoot the fucker and several members of his staff...

Most musicians today writing about their social/political/economical unrest are directing their poison darts at BUSH for obvious reasons. And rightly so. So, all you republicans voting for the dim bulb geo jr.: haven't you figured it out by now? They can't all be wrong....

KERRY / EDWARDS 2004!