I drink Stag...

altcountryman

Post by altcountryman »

It's cheap, but not too bad if you're in the mood for something like that.

We like to drink cheapass brews on cycling trips. At a tavern stop on one lengthy ride on the Katy Trail (rail-trail across a lot of MO), my wife ordered a Stag. The bartender got halfway to the cooler before he stopped, turned around, and asked, "Did you say you wanted a Stag?" I'm guessing most of the Stag drinkers, at least at that particular trailside tavern, aren't ladies...

criminals

Post by criminals »

My friends that actually drink it (yes, there are 1 or 2) refer to Stag as Golden Delicious.

bdfstl2

S T A G

Post by bdfstl2 »

Freddie Friction, local St. Louis drummer and spoon player and owner of Frederick's Music Lounge, refers to Stag as a meal in a can - Steak Taters And Gravy. That's good enough for me.

FIFTH WHEEL

Post by FIFTH WHEEL »

In my opinion Stag Beer is pretty tasty. Corral Liqour in Granite City, Illinois has a sign on the building that says "Stag Beer, As sugar free as beer can be". I have a friend who is diabetic and his doctor told him if he had to drink alchol then drink Stag. I think I'll come up with a mild case of glaucoma and take a visit to his doctor.

H-Bomb Henry

Post by H-Bomb Henry »

Lawrence Fan wrote:
H-Bomb Henry wrote:My favorite quote
"Where's My Peavey"
I knew I heard him right! He had just belted out a vocal and turned away from the mic when he said it. I thought to myself, "Did he just say what I thought he said?"

Glad to know I wasn't dreaming. :)

-gk-
I'm convinced the guy needs his own reality television show. If Ozzy Osburnt and Jessica Simpson can have one why can't Brian Henneman.

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

Thanks people! Seems like every town's got one. Here, our brewery was shut down years ago (and they didn't make beer, only a form of cola that contained a two cups of coffee amount of cofein per bottle) People 'round here drink alot of redspirit poured through a loafbread(?) to remove the poison, and it tastes like shit, and therefore lot of people aren't allowed to buy redspirit in the stores anymore, rest drinks regular moonshine, and me, I drink 10 bucks pints of Guiness, ah, I love that stuff. (Did I mention I'm unemployed :D )

H-Bomb Henry

Post by H-Bomb Henry »

I was told that Stag meant "alone". If that's the case wouldn't that song be a rip of George Thorougood and the Destoryers "I Drink Alone"

I knew it had to be a type of beer.

http://www.americanbreweriana.org/history/bvil.htm

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Fenrisinho wrote:ehm: What's Stag?
Basically it's a crappy beer, drunk only by old men who don't know any better. However, it seems Brian and other like-minded folks think and behave diiferently.

-gk-

Post by Sticky »

Stag Beer. Brewed in Bellevile from 1870 something until 1980 something. Cheap and awful. It's still cheap and awful, but it's not in B"ville anymore.

cheers

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

ehm: What's Stag?

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

H-Bomb Henry wrote:My favorite quote
"Where's My Peavey"
I knew I heard him right! He had just belted out a vocal and turned away from the mic when he said it. I thought to myself, "Did he just say what I thought he said?"

Glad to know I wasn't dreaming. :)

-gk-

H-Bomb Henry

Post by H-Bomb Henry »

I'll have to agree that the Bottle Rockets set was way too short. But they still rocked. Son Volt set was near perfect. I was hopeful that a Tupelo song would make it out for the encore.

Highlights for me included Welfare Music & Windfall.

My favorite quote
"Where's My Peavey"

Coffee Creek

Re: I drink Stag...

Post by Coffee Creek »

Barnum wrote:The crowd at Mississippi Nights? I wish they would just shut the hell up and stop talking through every damn song. I understand that they're all "hipper than thou", but christ man - packs of girls talking on their cell phones during Windfall...ugh!
I agree. Especially during Buckner's set (more noticable because he was the only one ...besides Farrar ...to play solo). To bad, I hadn't seen him in years and would have liked to hear him better.

-- CC

newtonk

lyrics

Post by newtonk »

I have a really bad recording of I drink Stag by UT. But in the version I have it is not just the chorus of I DRINK STAG, but several verses in which they sing about the various beers they don't drink.

Does anyone have a decent copy of the song, it's sort of a cult classic for me.

Also, anyone know about a recording of the concert that might fliter onto the net?

Kevin

Belleville Born

Barnum

I drink Stag...

Post by Barnum »

It was a very, very good show.
Some general notes...

The Bottle Rockets had a very short set - way too short in my opinion. Brian has lost so much weight. They were a 3 piece last night for some reason.

Cortez the Killer...unfuckingbelievable. Windfall? Damn.

The "new" Son Volt? Rocked. Can't say anymore.

The crowd at Mississippi Nights? I wish they would just shut the hell up and stop talking through every damn song. I understand that they're all "hipper than thou", but christ man - packs of girls talking on their cell phones during Windfall...ugh.

BEST QUOTE:
"I drink Stag."
-Henneman