review- great american music hall show last night

stevie

Post by stevie »

Vitamins is on Sebastopol, its the third of 3 bonus tracks that are available on most versions of this CD that I've seen.

I thought Jay was awesome last night. His voice was on good form and he seemed really into it. Never been to the GAMH but its a nice venue and the crowd was good. Mark Spencer is a guitar genius, I wasn't even sure the instrument could make sounds like that!

As for playing UT songs, well as a transatlantic hopper living in the UK and California I get to see Whiskey Bottle performed, as he seems to swap it with Still Be Around. Lucky me.

professor_squishy

Post by professor_squishy »

Yeah, you're right... the difference in sound quality and balance was like night and day from Sun to Mon.

Did you think that Jay looked more relaxed and comfortable on Mon night as well, or was it my imagination? Maybe he was pissed about the sound on Sun...

Also, which CD is Vitamins on?

Thanks for the setlist. Do you just have a better memory than me or do you write these things down?? ;-)

Grotto Slack

Post by Grotto Slack »

I thought Monday night was definetly stronger than Sunday. The sound guys finally got their shit together for one. Sunday was horrible from that aspect, couldn't hear the acoustic in the middle of the set and there were obvious monitor problems. Monday was all around smoother. Where the hell was "Out on the Road" and "Hanging on to You" ????

Monday's set list:

California
Tear Stained Eye
Make it alright
feel free
barstow
gather
Heart on the ground
hard is the fall
No Rolling back
Damn Shame
All of your might
cahokian
driving the view (kicked ass!!!!!!)
Vitamins (kicked ass too)
Feed Kill Chain
Vodoo Candle
Route (The distortion on the acoustic sounded a little thin)
StraightFace
Still be around
Windfall
Dent County (Mark on Lap steel and Eric on pedal steel at the same time)
Fool King's Crown
White Freight Liner (TVZ song)
Love you Too (G. Harrison)

I thought the first quarter of the set had too many songs in the same key, it was all in G and D. He sure uses that D first inversion chord a lot.

Willy

Post by Willy »

Awesome, just awesome. I wish he'd play back to back dates in Michigan sometime.

professor_squishy

OK, I went to see Jay again tonight and it was SO much better than last night. The sound was better; the balance of the instruments and vocals was better; the crowd was more into it; Jay's voice was stronger and he looked like he was actually having fun and talked to the crowd a bit (last night he looked tired and a little distracted). He even shaved. Everything seemed to click and was in sync... this show was damn close to epic.

As far as I could tell, the setlist was the same (with one notable exception), but had a much better ordering. Started out with "California" and followed up with "Tear Stained Eye". By that point he already had the audience in the palm of his hand. Then he did lots of TB/WST/etc. Closed the 1st set with "Still Be Around" to an audience rapt in silent awe. (yes, that alone was worth the price of admission). Came out in the 1st of THREE (count 'em) encores with "Windfall" and "Dent County". The 3rd encore was once again "Love You To".

So, there you have it. Two nights and the best 44 bucks I've spent in a long time...

professor_squishy

No problem... just wish my brain worked better...

God bless them pretty women, indeed! As a matter of fact, there were more than a couple of them in attendance last night...

Sigh... how I wish they was mine...

Willy

Post by Willy »

Thanks Fess!

It's ok if you don't remember all the songs. I was so excited to see Jay last April in Madison, WI, I drank too quickly, and woke up the next day knowing I saw a great concert, but I could only remember a handful of songs he played.

professor_squishy

Please, not so formal... just call me 'fess!

I grew up in Frankton and my parents now live outside Anderson. As far as Jay's music, I've got no intention of leaving.. it's made it's mark. I might put it on the shelf from time to time to pursue other stuff, but it will always be back.

I guess it get's harder over time to pare down a set of songs... but I'm still gonna be selfish and wish for some classic UT!

As far as the setlist from last night (for Willy), here's what I remember in no particular order (maybe exile can help out here):

Windfall
Tear Stained Eye
Route
Straightface
Driving The View
Gather(?) - from the "Slaughter Rule" soundtrack
Voodoo Candle
Feel Free
Feed Kill Chain
All Your Might
Dent County
California
Love You To (George Harrison)

Lot's more from TB and others that I'm forgetting... too much partying over the years I reckon...

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

hey professor. what part of indiana? i live in jeffersonville. welcome to the world of jay farrar. now that you're in it you'll find it's hard to leave. he probably doesn't play any ut material because his choices of setlists are getting bigger with newer material.

professor_squishy

This was my first time seeing Jay in concert. It was a great show, BUT IMHO it could (should) have been epic.

First, let me admit that I'm late getting into Jay/SV/UT. Always looking for new music influences, I took a chance about 6 months ago on buying "Anodyne" based on the gumbopages site's overwhelming praise of UT, etc. and I have not been disappointed. Since then, I purchased the whole UT catalog, plus Trace/WST/TB and have given them lot's of airtime. Being from a rural, factory town in Indiana, I can really relate to the themes (particularly the early UT stuff); and I have come to respect Jay's music emensely (and to a (far) lesser extent Jeff Tweedy). My music tastes vary from time to time, but right now, thanks to Jay, alt country is where it's at for me.

I don't understand the whole history of Jay's relationship with UT, but I can't understand why he doesn't include UT songs in his concert. Can someone explain this to me???? From what I've read on this site, it appears that the only UT song he plays these days is "Still Be Around" (one of my personal favorites, by the way). But last night he didn't play any UT. I guess it would be wishful thinking to expect "Graveyard Shift", "Whiskey Bottle", "Postcard" or the like, but wouldn't it be great to hear "Criminals" or "Moonshiner" or "Wipe the Clock" or anything from Anodyne?? The man has amassed an incredible body of work - I suggest that I could put together a 20 song CD of Jay's work over his career and it would stand up to any 20 songs by any artist. I just wish he would represent some of his earlier stuff in his live shows... it's just too damn good to leave out.

Also, it appears that Jay is extremely shy to the point of being uncomfortable on stage - particularly between songs and when he's not actually singing. Based on what I've read on this site, that appears to be just the way it is, which is fine. But I think he rushes the set a bit, perhaps because he doesn't interact with the crowd and doesn't want any dead air to deal with(?). Also, sometimes I think they should have toned down Mark Spencer's (?) accompanyment and the reverb; at times it masked the subtle textures of some of the songs

Don't get me wrong, there were trancendant moments last night. "California" was of course a crowd pleaser; "Love You Too" was awesome and Mark's work on that song and throughout was stellar; the Trace songs were wonderful.

I might have to go back tonight in hopes that he'll play just ONE of those UT gems... it would be worth the price of admission.

Willy

Post by Willy »

Do you remember the set list?

exile

review- great american music hall show last night

Post by exile »

last night was my fourth jay show and this one was without a doubt the best show i've seen. jay was in prime form- virtually no conversation with the audience but it didn't matter because the music was amazingly beautiful.

He was kind enough to give two sets of encores and then finish the night off with an extraordinary version of Love you to. He played it on the last tour but this time it was even better.

hope everyone gets a chance to see him this time around because he's in the prime of his career right now.