What are you reading now, playas?

ScottZeagle

Post by ScottZeagle »

The Heroin Diaries - Nikki Sixx

I am amazed that this dude is still alive...much less banging Kat Von D.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Not as funny as I thought it might be. A bit like Hoops really.

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

Damaged Son

Post by Damaged Son »

Currently reading SUTTREE by Cormac McCarthy.
Read somewhere it was described as a dark Huckleberry Finn.
That's pretty appropriate.
Set in the 50's in Knoxville, Tennessee.
I have found it a bit slow going compared to his more recent work.
Focuses primarily on the main character, "Buddy" Suttree, but there are some really really funny scenes due in part to one hare-brained character named Harrogate who manages to get himself into all kinds of various schemes and shenanigans.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

history on trial> deborah e. lipstadt

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Just finished reading "Finn" by Jon Clinch. Disturbing...so not usually my cup of tea, but this one grabbed me from page 1. The author focuses on Huckleberry Finn's father, drawing and expanding from Twain's work and telling the story from Finn's point of view and experience. Now I'll have to check out Adventures of Huckleberry Finn from the library. Note: Finn is absolutely not something for the kids to read.

I have been devouring (pun intended) books on food consumption lately (Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma", Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and so on), so this was meant to lighten things up and provide a break. It was a break, but again, not "light" at all.

partyroy

Post by partyroy »

Reaper's Gale, Steven Erikson - newest part of the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series. Awesome, awesome stuff.

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

Currently reading Ramblin Man - The Life And TImes Of Woody Guthrie

Just finished Seventh Child - A Family Memoir Of Malcolm X

ScottZeagle

Post by ScottZeagle »

gdavis5446 wrote:
ScottZeagle wrote:I was a little worried about that...

The only other McCarthy book I have ever read was The Road, and it was the ultimate in depressing.

Oh well, I'll give this one a go.
I've been meaning to check out Blood Meridian. At this point the only books of his I've read are The Road, No Country For Old Men and All the Pretty Horses. I found all three of those to be quick and easy reads.
If you can wait until the Tally trip, I will give it to you Greg....

I'll be done reading it by then, I'm sure... :lol:

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

:lol:

trailrider

Post by trailrider »

farrarfan1 wrote:
trailrider wrote:
Duma Key by Stephen King - Taking it with me to Jamaica as my vacation book, so, technically, I'm not reading it yet.
Be careful there. This is a true story:
8)
While on vacation in Jamaica a married couple walked into a shoe store. The salesman said to them, "I have some very special Jamaican sandals I tink you would be interested in. Dey make you wild at sex."
Well, the wife was really interested in buying the sandals after what the man claimed, but her husband felt he really didn't need them, being the sex god he was.
The husband asked the man, "How could sandals make you into a sex freak?"
The Jamaican replied, "Just try dem on, Mon." So, the husband, after some badgering from his wife, finally gave in, and tried them on.
As soon as he slipped them onto his feet, he got this wild look in his eyes, something his wife hadn't seen in many years. In the blink of an eye, the husband grabbed the Jamaican, bent him violently over a table, yanked down his pants, ripped down his own pants, and grabbed a firm hold of the Jamaican's hips.
The Jamaican then began screaming, "You got dem on the wrong feet! You Got dem on the wrong feet!"
Are you saying that a pair of sandals could make me, as they say in Jamaica, "happy?"

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

ScottZeagle wrote:I was a little worried about that...

The only other McCarthy book I have ever read was The Road, and it was the ultimate in depressing.

I've been meaning to check out Blood Meridian. At this point the only books of his I've read are The Road, No Country For Old Men and All the Pretty Horses. I found all three of those to be quick and easy reads.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

trailrider wrote:
Duma Key by Stephen King - Taking it with me to Jamaica as my vacation book, so, technically, I'm not reading it yet.
Be careful there. This is a true story:
8)
While on vacation in Jamaica a married couple walked into a shoe store. The salesman said to them, "I have some very special Jamaican sandals I tink you would be interested in. Dey make you wild at sex."
Well, the wife was really interested in buying the sandals after what the man claimed, but her husband felt he really didn't need them, being the sex god he was.
The husband asked the man, "How could sandals make you into a sex freak?"
The Jamaican replied, "Just try dem on, Mon." So, the husband, after some badgering from his wife, finally gave in, and tried them on.
As soon as he slipped them onto his feet, he got this wild look in his eyes, something his wife hadn't seen in many years. In the blink of an eye, the husband grabbed the Jamaican, bent him violently over a table, yanked down his pants, ripped down his own pants, and grabbed a firm hold of the Jamaican's hips.
The Jamaican then began screaming, "You got dem on the wrong feet! You Got dem on the wrong feet!"

calexico

Post by calexico »

I am not saying it isn't worth the effort but I did find it a bit of a slow goer. I kept putting The Road down and leaving it for a few days at a time. Needed a break. :lol:

ScottZeagle

Post by ScottZeagle »

I was a little worried about that...