Top 10 alt-country guitarists (so says Gibson)

Acoustic Jet Ear

Post by Acoustic Jet Ear »

I agree, top ten lists and the like are bullshit, but I'm glad to see Cary Hudson get some well-deserved recognition.

derekf

Post by derekf »

Garth Brooks and Shania Twain are country "artists."

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

not that anyone would give a shit....but Rawlings would be at the top of my list, followed by boquist, NEIL(duh!), Spencer, Jay, etc....

"best of" lists suck anyway.

MrOctober

Post by MrOctober »

I just saw the Sadies over the weekend. Surely better guitar players than DBT. (Of course they don't play Gibsons, though)

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

Texas Tom wrote:
Good music is just good music.
Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner.

Texas Tom

Post by Texas Tom »

Most of the music I like is not able to be classified, thats what makes it interesting. I mean would you call Jay country, alt-country, rock, blues, etc???? same with Neil Young (my all time fave) what the hell would you call what he does??? The problem I have with lables like alt-country is they are so limiting and mis-leading, I mean I still hear Wilco labled as that, would you really call Wilco country???

Good music is just good music.

el caballo loco

derekf wrote:The article refers to Luther Perkins, not Johnny Cash. But I feel Johnny Cash and his band(s) was and is a pretty good example of where our music comes from. I know there are a lot of other influences out there but can you deny the weight of his music and its effect on what we listen to?
Yup. I call that country.

derekf

Post by derekf »

The article refers to Luther Perkins, not Johnny Cash. But I feel Johnny Cash and his band(s) was and is a pretty good example of where our music comes from. I know there are a lot of other influences out there but can you deny the weight of his music and its effect on what we listen to?

el caballo loco

derekf wrote:Why do so many people still get upset when the music we all love is referred to as alt.country? I guess I can understand why Jay would not like his music to be pigeon-holed as such, but is there anyone here who doesn't automatically recognize what type of music someone is talking about when the term is used?
Not upset. I just think it's a foolish term. Also, the inclusion of Cash throws a wrench into the latter part of your post.

derekf

Post by derekf »

Why do so many people still get upset when the music we all love is referred to as alt.country? I guess I can understand why Jay would not like his music to be pigeon-holed as such, but is there anyone here who doesn't automatically recognize what type of music someone is talking about when the term is used?

el caballo loco

camaroheadus wrote: three guitar attack for #1?

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

no brian henneman either?

three guitar attack for #1?

brian and mark s. can make the "alt-country" sound as good as anyone. i like how they put nels at the bottom as he is more of a finesse/speed player, but he can't be left off the list (i hope that is the rationale).

el caballo loco

Including Johnny Cash in a discussion about "alt.country" shows how bullshit the term is in the first place.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

not a single mention of Mark Spencer!!!

i call bullshit!