new guy:"Why did Son Volt break up?"

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

sam6025 wrote:In all likelyhood, the Boquists got a better paying gig offered to them.
Maybe. This was right around the time Jim was touring with Paul Westerberg and His Only Friends. Funny, I do not think Paul has toured since. Curious as to what Jim, Dave and Mike have been up to since?

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Tokyo Fan wrote:keith21's first post as well. Just pointing that milestone out.
Milestone indeed. Jeez. Lots has changed. I'm not 21 anymore. I now do believe SV is purely business.

calexico

Post by calexico »

tillotson505 wrote:'I Am' has convinced me.

Jay Farrar was the second gunman in Dallas. AND he's obviously a communist.

He also has a second job, selling Oil of Olay door to door.

Rarefied Farrar

Post by Rarefied Farrar »

Guitarist expansion packs...

Nice.

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

In all likelyhood, the Boquists got a better paying gig offered to them, made some new demands from Farrar to bring back Son Volt and bolted when Farrar didn't give in. From basic business practices, they waited until the day before they were set to hit the studio to demand additional considerations, that's the standard way of playing hardball in negotiations.

I'm sure there is ill-will, but I saw Son Volt v.1.0 a few times and they didn't really seem like friends at all. It was clinical watching them. Son Volt v.2.0 through the current v.2.4 appear to be having fun. Farrar smiles on occasion and rocks out with the other dudes.

Now that it is clear Son Volt v.2.0 and it's guitarist expansion packs are sticking around for the long haul, I totally prefer v.2.0+ to the 1.0 lineup.

ensilager

Post by ensilager »

Well, there were some hard feelings from the Boquists, I think, and maybe deservedly so. But every band has its drama I would imagine--must be tough when the band itself is on hiatus, while "solo" projects are pursued. Can't always have your cake....

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

ensilager wrote:Well, I read most of this thread and it was very interesting. Considering the fact that the Boquists and Heidorn spoke "through lawyers" when turning down Farrar's offer to reunite, I have to believe that there WAS bitterness, and some amount of needing it in writing this time, on their part towards him. But wtf? I had a mad crush on Jim Boquist so I was disappointed, but he was a pain in the ass in person, though really hot.
If I remember correctly, from so many years ago, the lawyers were more from the Boquists. I know after the dissolving of the original lineup when Okemah was recorded that Heidorn was at some Farrar family events. I just think Heidorn wasn't willing to quit his day job to play drums for Son Volt sans Boquists.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

keith21's first post as well. Just pointing that milestone out.

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

Wow, my moment in the sun. I remember that. Wow, that was a long time ago. I still feel dumb for thinking Heidorn was a teacher. I think being majoring in journalism put the correlation of school with working for a newspaper.

Luckily, been selling a few more albums these days. As much as I bounce around, I always end up back at this place. It's funny to see so many of us here so many years later. I dig THAT.

ensilager

Post by ensilager »

Well, I read most of this thread and it was very interesting. Considering the fact that the Boquists and Heidorn spoke "through lawyers" when turning down Farrar's offer to reunite, I have to believe that there WAS bitterness, and some amount of needing it in writing this time, on their part towards him. But wtf? I had a mad crush on Jim Boquist so I was disappointed, but he was a pain in the ass in person, though really hot.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

sam6025 wrote:
I realize that I've never sold more than a few hundred albums and things are totally different, blah, blah, blah...the economics are all the same, having a tour bus paid for by your record label isn't anything special, I've interviewed little mall metal band playing 500 capacity clubs who have tour buses. They'll never see a penny of their royalties because they used it on the bus.

Anyway, the point of my whole rant was that the band is not hurting for money without Jay, and if Jay officially dissolved the band and then said, "Oh, we're doing another tour now, 6 years later!" This board would be full of "Jay's solo album sucks so he has to go back to Son Volt" posts.

Naysayers are always in abundance. Just enjoy the songs and be happy they're there. If all paths reconnect, we will see something else from Son Volt. When I interviewed Jay Farrar, he said we may see Son Volt again, but not in the capacity they were before...as in, not on a major label and probably not being a full-out working band...more than likely a few shows here and there. Who knows?
How many of us can say they've sold a few hundred records AND interviewed Jay Farrar?
I dig that.

Thanks for the bump. Gets me past my new spot on the "pussy" bandwagon... :oops:

Rarefied Farrar

Post by Rarefied Farrar »

smoke wrote:More talk about money...yeah!!!! Doesn't anyone remember Mark Spencer's post several months ago talking about this very subject and how shitty life on the road is in terms of $$$.

Hey Mark Spencer, if you are out there, post something and shut these dipshits up.
Oh, he's out there, all right.

And do ya remember, remember dcarter,
Part of who he was is a part of me now
If you think back, where would we be
Where would I be without dcarter around?

This isn't written for any one man
It's about me.

dcarter

Re: Breakdown

Post by dcarter »

I Am Who Am wrote:We've been waiting for almost four years for Son Volt. I think it is safe to say they are history. Jay has stupidly broken up two Great Bands and as for his solo work--I can't listen to it. I agree with Rolling Stone, it's tedious and depressing. Nothing he has written solo even comes close to Still Be Around or Moonshiner. Not only that, but the way he disrepects his fellow bandmates is disgraceful. I mean, for four years the guys in Son Volt have been waiting by the phone for him to call, meanwhile working shitty jobs, while Jay "does his own thing." Well, his own thing sucks. It's time someone said as much. I don't care if he ever makes another record. I'll stick with my UT records and Trace and the masterful Wide Swing Tremelo.
:lol: This is from page 1. To paraphrase the author: It's been over 5 years and we await the return of 'I Am Who Am'.

edit This thread contains sam6025's first ever post! It is at the top of page 5.

widespreadchanges

Post by widespreadchanges »

Thanks Mister. I think you're right.

Maybe sometimes an artists feels rutted and rooted into a band, and if drought hits the songwriting, they'll branch out alone to try to cure it.

clarkma5

Post by clarkma5 »

I honestly don't know the numbers, but my understanding is that solo Farrar sells as much as SV did in terms of total album sales. Just a point to throw in there that...I don't really have much to back up with. My usage of the word "normal" was meant to imply that SV album sales approximately equal Farrar album sales, not that there is some universal standard for "normal" album sales.

I realized it was/is confusing when I posted it, but it was the best descriptor I could think of.