Footy Talk

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

If the USA do not progress to the knock-out stage, it will be an abject failure. We have never had a more favorable draw. It all depends on Onyewu and Demerit's fitness, otherwise we will leak goals. Goalkeeper and midfield are solid. Surprisingly our forwards have looked good in the 3 warm up games. We have scored well but have had trouble keeping them out.

I watched the opening game today and it was very entertaining. Once South Africa settled down, they played some decent, flowing football. All in all, the 1-1 result was fair but Mexico scored due to a defensive lapse, while RSA's goal was from a pinpoint pass and a top class shot. A more talented player would have buried the injury time shot instead of hit the post and RSA would have won. The best thing was Bishop Tutu's dance after RSA took the lead. A fine opening game. I will be watching as many games as possible. There is nothing like a World Cup summer.

criminals

Post by criminals »

Everyone's a soccer fan this week. Hope the US can win a game or two. What are their prospects for success in the Cup?

Dr. Zapatos

Post by Dr. Zapatos »

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Dr. Zapatos wrote:
calexico wrote:
Dr. Zapatos wrote:Carter got me worried there for a sec! Made me believe I had missed out on greatness in action!
I mean he was ok. He is better than Titus Bramble, put it that way.
Here's what people say about Titus.

"Titus's occasional flash of brilliance is heavily outweighed by the total inability to think before attempting what inevitably turns into a hashed clearance, a mistimed tackle, an own goal or a penalty for the opposition."

Good thing Landon isn't a defender.

"Landon's occasional flash of brilliance is heavily outweighed by the total inability to not get bald"
You guys are witty and all but wrong. He was a starter and you could make a strong case that Everton's resurgence coincided with Donovan's arrival. Moyes wanted the loan extended. SkySports rates players after every game. He was always highly rated. He played 10 games and started 7. His SkySports rating average was 7.3 on a 10 point scale. That was the highest on the team. I not saying he's better than Arteta, just that he was highly rated. The Everton FANS rated him 7.9. He was a fan favorite and made an impression. Snarkiness is cool and everything but just sounds dumb when you are wrong.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Dr. Zapatos wrote:"Landon's occasional flash of brilliance is heavily outweighed by the total inability to not get bald"
You, Mr. Shoe, are a haircist! The folically challenged of the world will no longer put up with your ilk!!

Dr. Zapatos

Post by Dr. Zapatos »

calexico wrote:
Dr. Zapatos wrote:Carter got me worried there for a sec! Made me believe I had missed out on greatness in action!
Here's what people say about Titus.

"Titus's occasional flash of brilliance is heavily outweighed by the total inability to think before attempting what inevitably turns into a hashed clearance, a mistimed tackle, an own goal or a penalty for the opposition."

Good thing Landon isn't a defender.

"Landon's occasional flash of brilliance is heavily outweighed by the total inability to not get bald"

calexico

Post by calexico »

Dr. Zapatos

Post by Dr. Zapatos »

Carter got me worried there for a sec! Made me believe I had missed out on greatness in action!

calexico

Post by calexico »

Dr. Zapatos wrote:They always have this ability to do well somehow. Of course I didn't see him at Everton, who do you think I am?!?
Don't worry. No one else, outside of Liverpool, took much notice of him either.

Dr. Zapatos

Post by Dr. Zapatos »

They always have this ability to do well somehow. Of course I didn't see him at Everton, who do you think I am?!?

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Dr. Zapatos wrote:I'm sure the great Bocanegra will lead his team to victory accompanied by the great Landon Donovan!
Did you watch Donovan during his loan period to Everton? He was fantastic. Moyes tried hard to keep him and wants him back. I used to be a critic but over the last year and a half, he has me convinced. He is a playmaker. He assisted on both goals against Turkey yesterday. Also Jose Francisco Torres changed the game when he came on in the 2nd half. He cemented his spot. We were poor the first half, especially the defense (Spector made an error that led to an easy goal) but owned the 2nd and hit the post twice in addition to the 2 goals. Both goals involved sweet passing. Fine link play.
Stuart Holden was outstanding against the Czechs, assisting on both goals and Beasley was back to his old self. Yes we lost 4-2 but most of the starters were on the bench.

GK: no worries with Tim Howard and Hahnemann had a fine season for Wolves if we need him. DEF: if Onyewu is truly fit AND can keep his head, a big if, that will help our weak defense. MID: our strength. Donovan, Dempsey, Torres, Holden, Beasley and Edu can play football. FWD: We will miss Charlie Davies. Altidore will start and has pace and promise but he's 20. Hercules Gomez is leading the Mexican League in goals as a freaking substitute. He came on and scored against the Czechs. He has quality. Robbie Findley, a surprise to even have a seat on the plane, looked surprisingly promising when he came on yesterday.

I am awaiting the final tuneup Saturday against the Aussies. That will be a much better barometer. It will be in SA and against another WC team. Slovenia and Algeria aren't slouches but if we do not progress from this group, it will be a major failure. The way England looked against MEX and especially Japan, we could take points off of them. I don't expect it, though. If we don't win the group, it'll likely be Germany in the second round... yikes, but let's get past the first round, first!

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

My new Danish roomie is convinced Denmark can beat the Netherlands and Cameroon to advance. I'm not so sure...

Dr. Zapatos

Post by Dr. Zapatos »

I'm sure the great Bocanegra will lead his team to victory accompanied by the great Landon Donovan!

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

ImageImage
Sorry. I couldn't resist.

The USA will advance from the group stage.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Ha, funny cunt Carter eh?

Like the good ole US of A is gonna do anything either. :lol: