Marinara, how I love thee!

farewellangelina

Post by farewellangelina »

calexico wrote:No matter what that red stuff in the bags, that looks like blood, is made of....it's gonna sting like fuck on the way out!
Marinara, sweetheart. It’s tomatoes.

Fan, I wanted to comment so, so much more when I saw that photo before. I had questions. I admit it. Those bottles--what is it, special oils, vinegars, hot sauce selection??? Swiss Miss :wink: :wink:

Canned is totally acceptable in your case, and smart.

Um Pea? Pea in the Pod? Sir? As for the frozen food thing, most people interested in the best food have serious aversions to frozen, but some say probably the best to freeze are um, peas. Yup. And not only that, if you happen to buy them in a grocery store, (except the sugar snap variety) you’re actually better off with good frozen ones. The sugars turn to starch after a few days. Didn’t ya know? :wink:

Of course in northern California, you probably can get them fresh from farmers markets around every bend in the road, or something.

Frozen corn can be passable, too.

And when it comes to preparing for a baby, freezing food is a good idea.

So there.

I can’t wait to plant some sugar snaps!

calexico

Post by calexico »

No matter what that red stuff in the bags, that looks like blood, is made of....it's gonna sting like fuck on the way out!

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

If imported San Marzano's are good enough for the likes of Mario Batali et. al. then they're good enough for me. Plus, for the batch I made it would have taken forty or fifty tomatoes.

I totally want to grow San Marzano's this year.

derekf

Post by derekf »

peainthepod wrote:
derekf wrote:Pea said something about blasphemy. I disagree. Unless you live in a place where you can either grow or purchase home-grown tomatoes year-round, I think it's perfectly fine to freeze tomato sauce.
my phobia with the freezer began
with the babysitter of my youth
feeding us peanut butter sandwiches
on frozen wonder bread.......

its a good thing we are in
northern ca.
lotsa of fresh local food at our fingertips

pea
I always hated eating sandwiches made on previously frozen bread. They tasted funny and were almost always misshapen, too.

We have a couple of small farmers markets nearby that operate during the winter but most of the vegetables are still hothouse grown and taste like what you'd expect from a grocery store. I've all but given up on eating any tomatoes I didn't grow myself.

Grifterwithafunnylittleha

Post by Grifterwithafunnylittleha »

I'm daydreaming about what's in the glass vials on the far right.

Ponyjustgotbackfromawalkandtooksomechilioutofthefreezerwithwaytoomuchpepp

peainthepod

Post by peainthepod »

derekf wrote:Pea said something about blasphemy. I disagree. Unless you live in a place where you can either grow or purchase home-grown tomatoes year-round, I think it's perfectly fine to freeze tomato sauce.
my phobia with the freezer began
with the babysitter of my youth
feeding us peanut butter sandwiches
on frozen wonder bread.......

its a good thing we are in
northern ca.
lotsa of fresh local food at our fingertips

pea

dcarter

Re: Marinara, how I love thee!

Post by dcarter »

peainthepod wrote: you going to freeze it?
blasphemy
the only good thing a freezer is for
ice or keeping mugs cold
pea
More to add to the mountains of evidence that people are different. Putting beer in an ice cold mug is blasphemy. Well, any beer worth drinking, that is. Rule of thumb: if there is a negative correlation between temperature and taste, then it isn't a beer worth drinking. Obviously some will disagree because people are different.

Congratulations and best wishes on the impending birth, Glenn

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

In my defense these were the good canned tomatoes, from, like, Italy and stuff. It's just too convenient, especially with the baby due any day now.

derekf

Post by derekf »

Pea said something about blasphemy. I disagree. Unless you live in a place where you can either grow or purchase home-grown tomatoes year-round, I think it's perfectly fine to freeze tomato sauce. Now why LF would do it with canned tomatoes is beyond me, as you can just buy more at any given time but I'm certainly not judging. This year I am buying a small freezer for just this purpose. Not for freezing canned tomatoes but for freezing what I'm planning on growing.

My plot for vegetables is a raised bed about 14.5' by 10.5'. I plan on having close to 30 tomato plants along with various peppers (hot, mild and sweet) and some squash, zucchini and all manner of herbs. I have a few recipes for fire-roasting vegetables and then freezing them I'd like to try.

Cindy, you have my condolences. It dropped to 30 degrees or so about a dozen times this winter and I considered moving even further south. My garden is being planted the week of March 21-25, temperatures will at least be in the mid-60's pretty regularly by then. Pictures to follow.

cind

Post by cind »

derekf wrote:Where's you get tomatoes at this time of year?

It's almost time to bump the gardening thread.
Nice lf! Are those toms from last summer's harvest?
Derekf, still waiting for the mounds to melt. Going to start some seeds this wkd. Winter has been cruel here. I don't know if my roses & shrubbery will come back.

peainthepod

Post by peainthepod »

Lawrence Fan wrote:I fully expect an analysis of my counter-top by Halfy.

you going to freeze it?
blasphemy
the only good thing a freezer is for
ice or keeping mugs cold

pea

Coffee Creek

Where's my pasta swirlin' fork?!

Post by Coffee Creek »

half-n-half wrote:thanks shug! :)
I had "King of the Hill" on in the background as I was reading this thread. I'd just heard a Nancy Gribble "shug" as I read yours. It struck me funny.

Now ... back to the thread.

That's some fine lookin' Marinara there, LF!

Enjoy.

CC

P.S.

What's in the three clear, black topped containers to the left of the spice rack?

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Lawrence Fan wrote:I fully expect an analysis of my counter-top by Halfy.

whats in that red box? (Its not upside down?) whats that circular looking thing maybe with green writing(?) behind the bi-colored brownish salt and pepper shaker thingys? whats in that plastic thing that says open? nice (spice) rack :wink: mmmm is that swiss miss? nice on those cold morns'

thanks shug! :)

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

derekf wrote:Where's you get tomatoes at this time of year?

From the bright yellow can!!!

Hey, it's a necessary evil. ;)

derekf

Post by derekf »

Where's you get tomatoes at this time of year?