Driving Around The West...

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

mcmoss99 wrote:Barstow is a good one...it was on one of the mixes I made. I could drive around the west for weeks and agreed it makes for a perfect backdrop for music. Just not the same driving around Chicago!
shit....i drive around Orange County with Barstow cranked!

mcmoss99

Post by mcmoss99 »

Barstow is a good one...it was on one of the mixes I made. I could drive around the west for weeks and agreed it makes for a perfect backdrop for music. Just not the same driving around Chicago! Cool to hear you did a similar trip HAP. We never made it to Flagstaff. I would like to check it out at some point because I hear good things.

HAP

Re: Driving Around The West...

Post by HAP »

[quote="mcmoss99"]I just got back from California, AZ, and Nevada and made a few CD's for our rental Wrangler to drive from San Diego to Joshua Tree to Grand Canyon to Las Vegas. The CD's were heavy on Richmond Fontaine, Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, The Futurebirds, Whiskeytown, and some other random songs. My personal favorite was driving through a desolate area of California through salt flats with desert mountain peaks in every direction in the Jeep with the top off blasting "Western Skyline" by Richmond Fontaine. That just seemed like the perfect song for that moment. "Four Hours Out" and "Campsized" by RF also were great! I don't think any other band camptures that unforgiving landscape quite like RF. Now back in my apt. in Chicago I already miss the west and its open high desert country. Any one else have personal favorite songs for driving in open west country?[/quote]

Weird. I don't check in on this board much anymore, and come here to see that someone made just about the same trip I did in early May. I went from Palm Springs to the Grand Canyon. Jumped off of I-10 on the east side of Joshua Tree and used state highways to work up through Lake Havasu to Kingman, AZ. From there on to the GC and then Flagstaff, which is one of my favorite towns to visit and drink a beer while the trains go by. Dusted off Straightaways for the trip, as well as an old UT/SV1 mix. I never travel too far without a little Farrar. But I am known to butcher a Mats lyric now and again.

criminals

Post by criminals »

Jay's Slaughter Rule scores are great for driving. Too short though.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

Whether its Barstow, west Texas or Barstow CA....

The expectant, lightly buzzed LA to Vegas drive....obvious I know...
the reminder that by the time we make it to Barstow
we'll be more than halfway to hell....

I'm partial to Jay solo stuff in the desert. Best to listen to new music or stuff I haven't heard in eons. The west is such a great backdrop for music.

Vlautin's cool

Coffee Creek

I thought Calexico had a big behind ... not a close one. ; }

Post by Coffee Creek »

Talus wrote:Calexico's Close Behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWfQ2H4ZTH0
I agree.

I imagine riding a horse to this one instead of driving a car.

Talus

Post by Talus »

mcmoss99

Driving Around The West...

Post by mcmoss99 »

I just got back from California, AZ, and Nevada and made a few CD's for our rental Wrangler to drive from San Diego to Joshua Tree to Grand Canyon to Las Vegas. The CD's were heavy on Richmond Fontaine, Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, The Futurebirds, Whiskeytown, and some other random songs. My personal favorite was driving through a desolate area of California through salt flats with desert mountain peaks in every direction in the Jeep with the top off blasting "Western Skyline" by Richmond Fontaine. That just seemed like the perfect song for that moment. "Four Hours Out" and "Campsized" by RF also were great! I don't think any other band camptures that unforgiving landscape quite like RF. Now back in my apt. in Chicago I already miss the west and its open high desert country. Any one else have personal favorite songs for driving in open west country?