New at the cinema (subjective spoilers/one word reviews)

amzie

Post by amzie »

Well, I'm sure as hell tired of Streep and Roberts, seriously.

Don't leave out Lawrence in Hunger Games 1 and 2. She was in some sitcom at one time? Personally, I enjoy watching her, but I feel she's overrated.

pdg

Post by pdg »

half-n-half wrote:August: Osage co.-Omg, julia roberts was really good. This family scared the hell out of me. Movie audience was totally captivated. Thought J.R. was much better than J. Lawrence performance

Nebraska - spot on casting and acting. Sweet movie.

I dont know how to spell reccomend but i reccomend both of these.
+1

BTW, I am personally growing tired lately with Jennifer Lawrence. She was amazing in Winter's Bone. Since then, she's been ok. But, she's Hollywood's latest media darling. I think she plays very likable roles, but not diverse nor requiring extreme talent. Her role in American Hustle is not too different than Silver Linings Playbook.
Last edited by pdg on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

August: Osage co.-Omg, julia roberts was really good. This family scared the hell out of me. Movie audience was totally captivated. Thought J.R. was much better than J. Lawrence performance

Nebraska - spot on casting and acting. Sweet movie.

I dont know how to spell reccomend but i reccomend both of these.

pdg

Post by pdg »

Two recent thought-provoking films:

The Great Beauty (Le Grande Bellezza) - Best Foreign Language nominee from Italy. I wasn't impressed. Following the spirit of Fellini, this artsy film reminded me of other works. The story's tribute to Rome is similar to Wings of Desire's tribute to Berlin. The story of a 65 year old man in search of beauty for 30 years is reminiscent of Gabriel Gracia Marquez's short novel, Memories of My Melancholy Whores. And the infusion of art works in the story was subpar compared to the 2013 film, Museum Hours.

August: Osage County - should be subtitled Dysfunction Junction. Gripping drama with a great cast, highlighted by great performances from Streep and Roberts. Similar to The Past, this film unravels some dirty laundry from quite a fucked-up family.

pdg

Post by pdg »

The Past (Le Passe) - quite possibly the greatest Oscar snub this year. A French-Iranian semi-mystery yarn about broken families, blended families, honesty and deceit. Similar to old fashioned Humphrey Bogart -style dialog films. Avoid this film if you lack the patience to wait for a story to unfold.

pdg

Post by pdg »

Her - exceeded my expectations. Spike Jonze at the top of his game. Great set design and editing.

Ain't Them Bodies Saints - slightly above average western/crime drama. Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara play a likeable tragic couple.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty - kinda oversimplified. Sean Penn - not much screen time but he looks sexsaaay.

amzie

Post by amzie »

lol to glowing watch hands--American Hustle WAS surprisingly tedious

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

American Hustle - Kept checking new christmas watch to see if hands glow in the dark. They do.

amzie

Post by amzie »

Wolf of Wall Street--about an hour too long

pdg

Post by pdg »

Saving Mr. Banks - bittersweet back story to the Disney film Mary Poppins. The story and dialog hold up the film, and Mary Poppins makes a lot more sense now. I was disappointed they used the current Disneyland rather than build a replica set of what it actually was in 1961.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

half-n-half wrote:Inside Llewyn Davis - Bummed he wasnt a more likeable character. Anyone?
Yeah, I feel ya. I also found the film strangely and disappointingly uneventful and pedestrian, but I guess that's kind of the point.

Tim in the ATL

pdg

Post by pdg »

American Hustle - most of the cast from Silver Linings Playbook gather again in a plausible film, reminiscent of Donnie Brasco mixed with The Sting. Amy Adams outshines Jennifer Lawrence, and the soundtrack is great.

pdg

Post by pdg »

The Hobbit 2: the defecation of Smaug; total shit.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Inside Llewyn Davis - Bummed he wasnt a more likeable character. Anyone?