New at the cinema (subjective spoilers/one word reviews)

pdg

Post by pdg »

The Grand Budapest Hotel - another Wes Anderson product (Moonrise Kingdom, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Royal Tanenbaums, etc.), which includes his unique storytelling devices with quirky characters and his trademark "dollhouse" visualization. If you're in the mood, it's very entertaining.

Le Week-End - an older couple leave from Birmingham to Paris on their 30th anniversary, to salvage or possibly end their marriage. Reminded me a lot of last year's Before Midnight, in that it deals with the greatness and ugliness of a long term relationship. As they face their final years ahead, one partner is highly devoted and introverted, while the other is extroverted and seeks more excitement and spice. Had a bit of a Woody Allen film feel to it.

pdg

Post by pdg »

If You Build It - inspiring documentary about high school students designing and building projects that transform them and their community. Doesn't speak well for the public school system in South Carolina.

pdg

Post by pdg »

The Wind Rises - brilliant Japanese animated film. Perhaps one of the greatest made.

pdg

Post by pdg »

Sorry about that. I definitely did not pick up the sarcasm. :oops:

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

pdg wrote:Please. The Hunger Games was plagiarized dystopian crap that only Hollywood studios are making. Those films couldn't even be salvaged with decent actors.
Dude, I should have laid the sarcasm on a little heavier. I totally agree.

pdg

Post by pdg »

Please. The Hunger Games was plagiarized dystopian crap that only Hollywood studios are making. Those films couldn't even be salvaged with decent actors.

Anyway...

Omar - Palestinian entry for Best Foreign Language Oscar. A slightly above average thriller about a young man, his friends, his loyalties, and life changing predicament he finds himself, after the killing of an Israeli soldier. The story was intriguing, but lacked detail and background story.

In Secret (Therese) - an old fashioned morality tale, that reminded me the likes of Macbeth, The Tale-Tell Heart, and Sweeney Todd. Jessica Lange is top notch. The dude who played Llewyn Davis plays another strong character.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

pdg wrote:
half-n-half wrote:August: Osage co.-Omg, julia roberts was really good. This family scared the hell out of me. Movie audience was totally captivated. Thought J.R. was much better than J. Lawrence performance

Nebraska - spot on casting and acting. Sweet movie.

I dont know how to spell reccomend but i reccomend both of these.
+1

BTW, I am personally growing tired lately with Jennifer Lawrence. She was amazing in Winter's Bone. Since then, she's been ok. But, she's Hollywood's latest media darling. I think she plays very likable roles, but not diverse nor requiring extreme talent. Her role in American Hustle is not too different than Silver Linings Playbook.
-1,000,000 for no mention of the cinematic masterpiece The Hunger Games. What's wrong with you?

;)

ct

Post by ct »

Bump

pdg

Post by pdg »

The Wolf of Wall Street - quite entertaining, but surprised how this escaped an NC-17 rating. The film mostly felt like a stylized newer version of Oliver Stone's 80's Wall Street. Leonardo proves he can only play subtle variations of the same role in everything he has done since Gilbert Grape. Jonah Hill is so overrated. Both of their nominations are a joke.

Texas Tom

Post by Texas Tom »

half-n-half wrote:I dont know how to spell reccomend but i reccomend both of these.
speling is so overated :D

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

pdg wrote:Gloria - Chilean film about a 50-something divorcee, and her relationships. Overall charming, but some conservative prudes next to me were bothered by some nudity in the film. I guess they never saw Blue Is the Warmest Color.

Also recently watched the Oscar Nomination for Best Live Action Shorts and Best Animation Shorts. My favorites:
Live Action Short: Avant Que De Tout Perdre (Just Before Losing Everything) (France) - half an hour of on the edge of my seat, as a woman tries to get her two children out of a very bad situation.
Animation Short: Room On the Broom (United Kingdom) - charming children's picture book brought to action.
Saw the animation shorts too. Room on the Broom was sweet. And the French one with the man with OCD who gets a dog was sweet too. I loved the giraffe in between shorts.

pdg

Post by pdg »

Gloria - Chilean film about a 50-something divorcee, and her relationships. Overall charming, but some conservative prudes next to me were bothered by some nudity in the film. I guess they never saw Blue Is the Warmest Color.

Also recently watched the Oscar Nomination for Best Live Action Shorts and Best Animation Shorts. My favorites:
Live Action Short: Avant Que De Tout Perdre (Just Before Losing Everything) (France) - half an hour of on the edge of my seat, as a woman tries to get her two children out of a very bad situation.
Animation Short: Room On the Broom (United Kingdom) - charming children's picture book brought to action.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

pdg wrote:Her - exceeded my expectations. Spike Jonze at the top of his game. Great set design and editing.
Her-very thoughtful character played by Whakeem Feenix.
A love Story.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Lone Survivor - two thumbs up. and lots of facial hair!
surprised Mark Wahlberg (sp) was overlooked for any kind of accolade or recognition this awards season. He was really awesome. stupid awards.

pdg

Post by pdg »

Inside Llewyn Davis - Coen Brothers make an interesting homage to talented musical artists that never make it. Some keen insights into the struggles of the music business, mixed with their typical quirky/morality doses mixed in (this time with various cats).