Star Wars Album

Monkeygunner

Post by Monkeygunner »

Wilco were great three days ago. Nels Cline is one of the premier american guitarists touring today... I love Jay's music. I like Jeff's. Together we shall be forever together again

http://imgur.com/a/SRYq0

amzie

Post by amzie »

Just noticed the thread--you all are way ahead of me. Good stuff.*****

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I've only listened to it twice so far, so only have a few preliminary thoughts. Unlike several of you, I do not like The Joke Explained. Nope, not at all.

It isn't until You Satellite that I start getting interested. Pickled Ginger, so far, is a "keeper".

For me, the best description of my initial "take" is that I've set it aside and have been listening to a bunch of other stuff instead. This NEVER would have happened 15 years ago. But then again, that could just be that my own tastes have changed, and not reflect at all on Wilco. I suspect, though, that it is a combination of both.

Hoops

Post by Hoops »

pdg

Post by pdg »

The new Star Wars album doesn't do anything for me. All the songs seem to sound the same. This album even makes The Whole Love and Wilco (the album) sound better in comparison. I thought the solo Tweeedy album with Jeff's son was a hint at return to form of better songwriting, but I don't get this new one.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

sonically mashed potatoes and gravy comfort food for the ears
will not be confused with wish you were here

hey sid, why did you get so fat
lots of pork chops

shine on

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

stupid album. I can't listen to it. Tweedy's vocals are buried under cacophony on most tracks. It's over produced and maybe two tracks have any bearing toward a song. If memory serves that would be Ceiling and Satellite. Neither of which are necessary in a Wilco mix tape. What's up Wilco? I'm waiting for that genius again. There's a few choice lyrics in Ceiling but otherwise I can't make out your narrative in the rest of the collection. What's up with all the
studio effects? Can you just write a song? As others have said, "they're so good live". Well shit, make a DVD. Stop wasting my time and getting my hopes up! Jeff, I want to hear you over the "musicianship"! Maybe that stoner drawl is all you can muster? After working with Beck and putting out that amazing Mermaid Avenue collection I thought you were the shit. I still love you jus disappointed again.

unchartedthickets

Star Wars - It's like when John Lennon said the Beattles were bigger than GOD.
Although slightly less socially conscious and more pop culture. Not shocking
but trying to be Worhol with less effect

derekf

Post by derekf »

Y'all are some funny fucking critics.

...a big disappointment

...I thought they broke up

...not real impressed...the same incessant loop for 3-4 minutes

...weird for the sake of being weird

...The rest is crap. But given how I only liked two songs off the last album and none of the previous one, this is improvement.

and my favorite:

...gonna listen to it again and try to hear it while shielding myself from the glutinous noise

I haven't listened to it and won't because I can't stand the sound of Tweedy's voice, I haven't been able to since Being There. If I had to complain about something (and I almost always do), it would be calling it Star Wars. Try and tell me that is not riding whatever is going on with that franchise lately and I'll call you a liar. I do wonder if there is a thread on whatever their website is when Jay puts out a new album and if the comments are quite as complimentary.

unchartedthickets

first listen and not entirely all the way through, I thought please change the guitar sound and noise it's producing! I love NC when he's making free jazz
records but it's a schtick and an annoying one when its wanked-off all over songs. The effect the guitar runs through sucks as well. Solid state distortion through a fucking plug-in or better yet, made to sound like that through analog...TOTALLY RAD = TOTES SHIT!!!!

gonna listen to it again and try to hear it while shielding myself from the glutinous noise

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

Yeah, I can handle The Joke Explained, I kinda dig the Lou Reedish vocal delivery. You Satellite has a great little driving bass line and it is probably the highlight for me. If your going to go experimental, this is about as much as I can handle. Probably a great song to hear live. Taste the Ceiling is pretty much classic Tweedy dad rock, so I can dig that. Probably the most Wilco'ish song on the album and if there was to be a single, this one is it.
[/i]Where do I Begin is basically Uncle Tupelo's If That's Alright written twenty some years later.

The rest is crap. But given how I only liked two songs off the last album and none of the previous one, this is improvement.

After seeing them live a couple months ago when they played a bunch of older tunes and even closed the set with a handful of acoustic numbers with banjo, I was getting excited that Jeff maybe going back to his folkier roots. I guess not.

Sorry about the itallics. Been a while since I posted here.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

To my ears, all but 3 of the tracks are unlistenable. I'll keep "The Joke Explained," "Taste the Ceiling," and "Where Do I Begin." The rest is garbage. Weird for the sake of being weird. Tweedy has succeeded (is that the word?) in pioneering a new scene: suburban adult hipsterism. Gag.

Tim in the ATL

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

On first listen it's a meh. Hope it improves over time.

criminals

Post by criminals »

Better than their last couple efforts for sure. I lost interest after AGIB, which I thought was an incredible record.

Love Random Name Generator. Pickled Ginger OK. Other than that not real impressed. Seems like a number of songs have the same incessant loop for 3-4 minutes. Overall pretty boring record.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

best album they've done since AGIB.