Jason Isbell

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Yeah, "Southeastern" is fantastic. And I like putting it right there with "New Multitudes", probably because that is exactly what I think. (Not to derail this, but I think Jay is on creative roll in these last five years...and so is Anders Parker. Those two form a formidable duo.)

In terms of image, I saw one video from southeastern, first posted to this message board. And that did, in fact, influence me initially as it looked like a businessman was performing, which didn't impress me! But the album sucked me in and, thank goodness, I no longer can recall the music video. It's all about the songs and that is one great batch right there.

lumberlung

Post by lumberlung »

I think that Sirens of the Ditch is a solid debut album, but I'd have to agree that, to my mind, the self-titled sophomore effort didn't break away from his previous material enough.

I wouldn't use the word "teenage" to describe its subject matter and concerns, but I would say that it's immature. That's forgivable on the debut album, but it was disappointing on the second. It has three good songs on it. "Streetlights" could have been a good song, and it has more than several great lines, but it also has moments of juvenile and cringe-worthy cheese the sink it to the bottom of the fondue bowl.

The same can be said for the third album: it has three good songs and "Codeine" stands in for "Streetlights."

Southeastern is the shit. New Multitudes, Go-Go Boots, The King Is Dead, and Neko last one are the only relatively recent albums ‚ say, in the last four years — that I think are in its league (that I've heard, of course). The Grand Theatre II might belong on that list, too.

Nothing on the new one has leapt out at me yet, and, if it hasn't after six listens, odds are it's never going to happen.

Live From Alabama is solid and worth having, and the EP that he cut at Twist & Shout in '07 is a great get if you can snag it.

All of this said (or written, as it were), while I think he has some great songs that really stand out, the rest of his music doesn't bother me, and I can't think of a bad song in the bunch. But they're just there. If you need six albums to listen to while you ride the elevator up and down, you cold do worse than loading Isbell's output onto your iPod.

amzie

Post by amzie »

Thanks, gdavis. There is some photo of him smoking that I have seen countless times. But you're right. I think I have worn out this topic, sophomoric as it is. Brent Best sure looked better before he went nuts with the hair.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

amzie wrote:I knew most of y'all would dig him. From a female perspective, I don't find him attractive, and for some reason that matters. To me he ain't cool, even if he's sucking on a cigarette. I hate to say it, but looks matter--name one female performer you guys adore who isn't hot in some way.
You are hilarious.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

amzie wrote:I knew most of y'all would dig him. From a female perspective, I don't find him attractive, and for some reason that matters. To me he ain't cool, even if he's sucking on a cigarette. I hate to say it, but looks matter--name one female performer you guys adore who isn't hot in some way.
I try to avoid being getting personal, but you have now lost all credibility. I have no desire to engage you any longer. Talk about "teen topics". Jesus.
Also, I don't recall seeing him smoke recently. I saw him in May at a theater but in March of 2014 at an outdoor festival and he was not smoking.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

amzie wrote:I hate to say it, but looks matter--name one female performer you guys adore who isn't hot in some way.
Aretha Franklin
Janis Joplin
Patsy Cline
Kitty Wells
Alice Gerrard
Hazel Dickens
Brittany Howard
Courtney Love
Caitlin Cary
Laurie Stirratt
and many many more...

And come on... You can't tell me you find every male musician you like "hot" in some way. Especially if you listen to this stuff we've called alt-country. Some of the ugliest men in the world play the music we love.

Tim in the ATL

amzie

Post by amzie »

I knew most of y'all would dig him. From a female perspective, I don't find him attractive, and for some reason that matters. To me he ain't cool, even if he's sucking on a cigarette. I hate to say it, but looks matter--name one female performer you guys adore who isn't hot in some way.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

amzie wrote:
"Speed Trap Town" is NOT about a 36 year old man, I hope.
Could be. The lyric seems to be about a pretty lonely middle aged man.

Well it's a Thursday night but there's a high school game
Sneak a bottle up the bleachers and forget my name
These 5A bastards run a shallow cross
It's a boy's last dream and a man's first loss

Also, Ii think one of his gifts is his ability to write from different characters perspective.

amzie

Post by amzie »

Example: "Jack and Coke in your momma's car/You were reading The Bell Jar." (speaks for itself)

"Speed Trap Town" is NOT about a 36 year old man, I hope.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

I think it is every bit as good as Southeastern Then again I loved Sirens and Here We Rest. I still think Stockholm might be one of the best songs ever written.

I swear my love for his music has nothing to do with his baseball and college football fandom but it dont hurt either.

I dont want to give the OP the business but I am curious what he finds teenager about his music.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Here's background in his song "Decoration Day".

http://www.examiner.com/article/decorat ... ckers-song

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I'm a big Isbell fan. I've only listened to his latest once and look forward to hearing it over and over. It does seem a tad more polished...and is WAY more polished than his Truckers period, but that's o.k.

His Live in Alabama record is fantastic. Highly recommended.

I am flummoxed by the "teenager" topic claim, which is complete nonsense. This guy is writing songs in the stratosphere right now.

barclocksays3am

Post by barclocksays3am »

I dig his music.I thank this board for getting me into his stuff.Sure I heard the DBT before but I never heard any of his solo career til I heard Southeastern and it was my fav album of 2013.His new album is good though maybe not as good as Southeastern still it has some memorable tunes

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

I hate him because he took Son Volt's keyboard player!!!

Just kidding.

I really like the new one, been listening a lot lately. Children of Children is my current fave.

He has a pretty unique sound/style.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

There are several recent threads on this seldom visited message board about what people do not like. Whats the point? You dont dig the new Jason Isbell or Wilco. Seems like a waste to spend time talking about things you don't dig. What do you like? Hve you heard the new Diamond Rugs? You should go to Spotify and listen to it. If you like it go to Itunes or your local record store and buy it.

It seems like there have been some great records released by Isbell and Titus Andronicus and Brent Best. Have you heard the Surf City and the Love Axe releases? They are freaking great. So much great music it is hard to keep up with it all. Shit, I have not even had time to buy/listen to the recent John Moreland or Rhett Miller or Metz or Yo La Tango or Built To Spill. I bought the recent Sun Kil Moon, who I usually love, but did not dig the vibe of the last two. I am not going to spend more than a sentence talking about things I dont like but maybe other folks might be way into. I don't have time for the negativity.

I do still love Hoops and DCarter, who I need to meet up for a beer real soon.