Jason Isbell

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

amzie wrote:I am not sure how you can draw a real comparison between Jay and Isbell. If they were so much alike, Farrar would be gushed over, too. Go ahead and like Isbell--so does almost everyone else--but don't expect every Farrar fan to share your affection--they are nothing alike IMO.
I agree. They are nothing alike. Jason Isbell isn't past it.

Unhurried Ways

Post by Unhurried Ways »

Sometimes what's popular is popular because it's good, e.g., Godfather 1 and 2.
There's a lot to like about Jason Isbell's last two albums. He combines interesting stories, clever, polished lyrics and (for the most part) melodies that are different than you've heard before and stick with you. Over a dozen songs, this is tough to do!
In an article on the No Depression website, he said that (before the last two albums) he was becoming bitter because he did not think he had been given his due by the public. Finally his solution was to double down on his songwriting.
He also became sober during this period. Like Alejandro Escovedo after his sickness and Steve Earle after jail, he had a rush of creativity.
Finally, the only time I saw JI and his band was opening for Son Volt. I'm pretty sure it was on the tour for The Search.

amzie

Post by amzie »

I am not sure how you can draw a real comparison between Jay and Isbell. If they were so much alike, Farrar would be gushed over, too. Go ahead and like Isbell--so does almost everyone else--but don't expect every Farrar fan to share your affection--they are nothing alike IMO.

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Like Truckers and love Jason's solo stuff...hard to fathom that those who appreciate Jay would not appreciate Jason. There are so precious few artists writing great new music and touring behind it. Jason's one of them. Can't wait to see him in LA on the 12th!

amzie

Post by amzie »

Whatever. I guess I prefer a different kind of songwriting; a little more vague, full of images, like Jay Farrar's. Of course, Jay Farrar doesn't appeal to the masses, who would rather listen to crap.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

only the great poets, songwriters, authors, and directors can take us back, albeit for a short time, to when our faces were not etched with wrinkles, our idealisms not marred with reality, and our optimism not stained. teenage indeed!

Tokyo Fan

Re: Well, he's got good taste!

Post by Tokyo Fan »

turpentim wrote:
Tokyo Fan wrote:
ThrasherBear wrote:Surprised nobody has mentioned that Isbell practically worships Jay and his songs, and thinks the whole Americana scene is indebted to Jay big-time. Surely that counts for something with Jay's fans!
Is this something you read? If so, could you post link? If other, could you elaborate? Thanks.
Here you go:

https://twitter.com/JasonIsbell/status/ ... 5441156096

Tim in the ATL
Thanks!

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Tokyo Fan wrote:
ThrasherBear wrote:Surprised nobody has mentioned that Isbell practically worships Jay and his songs, and thinks the whole Americana scene is indebted to Jay big-time. Surely that counts for something with Jay's fans!
Is this something you read? If so, could you post link? If other, could you elaborate? Thanks.
Here you go:

https://twitter.com/JasonIsbell/status/ ... 5441156096

Tim in the ATL

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

ThrasherBear

Well, he's got good taste!

Post by ThrasherBear »

Surprised nobody has mentioned that Isbell practically worships Jay and his songs, and thinks the whole Americana scene is indebted to Jay big-time. Surely that counts for something with Jay's fans!

amzie

Post by amzie »

dcarter--"Isbell takes a long drag off his last cigarette and cracks another Red Bull." Conclusion of recent interview. He still smokes, and I guess Red Bull comes in bottles now.

Texas Tom

Post by Texas Tom »

Love the newest album

You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show goes up in flames
In 24 frames

amzie

Post by amzie »

That's the photo I was referring to. His absolute look of concentration, along with the pose of his hand, is a little much. Not sure what he was going for.

Anyway--Blake Shelton?? No!

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

Amzie, is this the image that is bothering you? Ii think that is actually the Lions Matt Stafford. Either way, if it distracts ou from his music, close your eyes and picture Blake Shelton.

amzie

Post by amzie »

You all are awesome--some of these "reviews" are amazing, lumberlung--great job + I LOVE that song which the much sexier looking Brent Best first recorded. I have cancelled my subscription to Rolling Stone----they just gushed and fawned all over Wilco. I bet some of you guys could give a more balanced review. Rolling Stone gave a great review to "Trainwreck" the movie that was funny for about 5 minutes total. Rolling Stone fucking sucks.