Wilco/Blue Mountain's "Myrna Lee"

criminals

Post by criminals »

Definitely on the want list. Looking forward to hearing those two Golden Smog tunes as well.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

ThrasherBear wrote:Pretty ironic that Jeff titles his 1st post-UT album "AM", while "AM" inspires one of the all-time great lines of an all-time great song on Jay's 1st record.
And later Tweedy writes "Radio King" an achingly beautiful song. Both songwriters clearly listened to a lot of radio.

ThrasherBear

Post by ThrasherBear »

Pretty ironic that Jeff titles his 1st post-UT album "AM", while "AM" inspires one of the all-time great lines of an all-time great song on Jay's 1st record.

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

"Myrna Lee" is a stone-cold classic track. Love Blue Mountain. Count me in the camp that has it Dog Days > Homegrown. Homegrown is an excellent record but Dog Days is a top 100 all-time record for me, too.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Both of these deluxe sets are on my wish list. And very affordable.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

turpentim wrote:
Tokyo Fan wrote:I have Dog Days on my Top 100 Albums list. Maybe I'll listen to Homegrown again and see if it deserves to topple one of the old stalwarts.
I've always considered 'Home Grown' the stronger record. But make no mistake, they are both KILLER.

Tim in the ATL
Listened again and decided it couldn't topple (from my list): Allman Brothers Band "Brothers and Sisters", The Byrds "Untitled" or Steppenwolf "Monster", the 3 easiest targets from my top 100. But (!) segued into The Bottle Rockets "The Brooklyn Side" and it did seem worthy. So out goes Brothers and Sisters.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Another gorgeous unreleased tune, this time "Dynamite My Soul" from the Being There sessions.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... ign=171109

Tim in the ATL

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

ThrasherBear wrote:A.M.: Deluxe Edition comprises the original album and eight unreleased bonus tracks—including Uncle Tupelo’s last studio recording, "When You Find Trouble,"

Is this the 1st UT recording to appear on a non-UT release? I assume Jay had to consent. I wonder if he's actually on it.
To my knowledge, it is the first original UT song to appear on any record by Farrar or Tweedy since the breakup. And it's definitely the first that none of us have ever heard. If it was recorded when UT was still together (which it sounds like it was), Farrar certainly plays on it, unless it's Tweedy alone with an acoustic guitar or something. Either way, I feel certain Farrar had to consent to its release. And if there's any justice in the world (I'm not sure there is), Farrar will also receive some small royalties from sales of the A.M. reissue.

Tim in the ATL

ThrasherBear

Post by ThrasherBear »

A.M.: Deluxe Edition comprises the original album and eight unreleased bonus tracks—including Uncle Tupelo’s last studio recording, "When You Find Trouble,"

Is this the 1st UT recording to appear on a non-UT release? I assume Jay had to consent. I wonder if he's actually on it.

Imstevenmartin

Post by Imstevenmartin »

Offering coupons

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Tokyo Fan wrote:I have Dog Days on my Top 100 Albums list. Maybe I'll listen to Homegrown again and see if it deserves to topple one of the old stalwarts.
I've always considered 'Home Grown' the stronger record. But make no mistake, they are both KILLER.

Tim in the ATL

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Thanks, Okeman. I was finally able to hear the whole thing. And then I got drawn into that YouTube channel!

Okeman

Post by Okeman »

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I'm listening to Midnight in Mississippi now and notice that there's a couple co-writes with John Stirratt. "She's a Wild One" and "Gentle Soul" both include John as co-writer.

This, too, is a brilliant album.

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

turpentim wrote:
unchartedthickets wrote:aw shit...I don’t know how to listen to this track. Is it part of the live concert video?
No, it's not. It's a studio recording. Try this link:

https://soundcloud.com/wilcoworld/myrna-lee

Oddly, this link only lets you hear the first little bit of the song. If you go to the original link I sent and click on the PLAY (>) button on the SoundCloud image, you can hear the whole thing.

Tim in the ATL
Cool. Thanks Tim!