Other half of Jay Farrar duo?

jr29

Post by jr29 »

SPIKE wrote:This is a stream of consciousness: Jay shares the stage with Turnpike Troubadours, Turnpike Troubadours perform a dern fine cover of Long Hot Summer Day by John Hartford, John Hartford was from St. Louis, John Hartford was a musician who worked as a river boat captain , Jay Farrar's dad was a musician who worked on a river boat in St. Louis. Did Jay Farrah's dad know John Hartford?
I believe John did his riverboat work after he moved to Nashville. They could have still been acquainted but I don't believe they'd have both been working out of St. Louis.

SPIKE

Post by SPIKE »

This is a stream of consciousness: Jay shares the stage with Turnpike Troubadours, Turnpike Troubadours perform a dern fine cover of Long Hot Summer Day by John Hartford, John Hartford was from St. Louis, John Hartford was a musician who worked as a river boat captain , Jay Farrar's dad was a musician who worked on a river boat in St. Louis. Did Jay Farrah's dad know John Hartford?

jr29

Post by jr29 »

turpentim wrote:
jr29 wrote:I'm not posting this to start any arguments, but the Troubadours and Bottle Rockets are playing some shows together in March. They are a good fit.
The Bottle Rockets would never open shows for Mumford and Sons. They occupy two different corners of the room.
Hey Jr29,

I'm really sorry if my comparison of the Turnpike Troubadours to Mumford & Sons offended you. You're right -- there is a significant difference. And I admit, some of the Troubadours songs are very, very good. And perhaps I haven't given them enough of a chance. I just feel like they fall into the larger category ("indie-folk") of the thousands of bands these days that formulaically mix bouncy indie rock with a few banjos and strike it rich. But I admit it's a bit unfair to lump the Troubadours in too firmly with that crowd. They are, after all, from Okemah, OK, which is WAY cool and kind of entitles one to anything they wish to do with traditional music :)

All of that said, even Mumford & Sons get some huge respect from some of the musicians that I most deeply respect. Look no further than MC Taylor (Hiss Golden Messenger), who includes the following in his highlights from 2017:

"We did several shows with Mumford and Sons in Florida right after Hurricane Irma hit. I was certain the shows would be cancelled, actually, but they somehow weren't. It was hugely inspiring to see these guys do their thing, which is way more than just music. It's sort of like this arena-sized conversation or confessional; it's hard to explain it. I think Mumford pushes a lot of peoples' buttons, especially independent music people, because they demand that you be earnest and emotional and part of their community. That makes some people uncomfortable. But I think what they're doing is totally necessary for the world right now. And when the crowds were all gone and we were just sitting around some green room in the bowels of some basketball arena, they were about as real and sensitive and salt of the earth as you want to think they would be. I went into those shows with some trepidation and came out of them changed. I hope we get to play with them again someday."

Much love,
Tim in the ATL
No worries, my friend. I admit that I can get a little too sensitive when I perceive a slight toward a band I dig.
I do see where you are coming from and definitely respect your opinions.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

jr29 wrote:I'm not posting this to start any arguments, but the Troubadours and Bottle Rockets are playing some shows together in March. They are a good fit.
The Bottle Rockets would never open shows for Mumford and Sons. They occupy two different corners of the room.
Hey Jr29,

I'm really sorry if my comparison of the Turnpike Troubadours to Mumford & Sons offended you. You're right -- there is a significant difference. And I admit, some of the Troubadours songs are very, very good. And perhaps I haven't given them enough of a chance. I just feel like they fall into the larger category ("indie-folk") of the thousands of bands these days that formulaically mix bouncy indie rock with a few banjos and strike it rich. But I admit it's a bit unfair to lump the Troubadours in too firmly with that crowd. They are, after all, from Okemah, OK, which is WAY cool and kind of entitles one to anything they wish to do with traditional music :)

All of that said, even Mumford & Sons get some huge respect from some of the musicians that I most deeply respect. Look no further than MC Taylor (Hiss Golden Messenger), who includes the following in his highlights from 2017:

"We did several shows with Mumford and Sons in Florida right after Hurricane Irma hit. I was certain the shows would be cancelled, actually, but they somehow weren't. It was hugely inspiring to see these guys do their thing, which is way more than just music. It's sort of like this arena-sized conversation or confessional; it's hard to explain it. I think Mumford pushes a lot of peoples' buttons, especially independent music people, because they demand that you be earnest and emotional and part of their community. That makes some people uncomfortable. But I think what they're doing is totally necessary for the world right now. And when the crowds were all gone and we were just sitting around some green room in the bowels of some basketball arena, they were about as real and sensitive and salt of the earth as you want to think they would be. I went into those shows with some trepidation and came out of them changed. I hope we get to play with them again someday."

Much love,
Tim in the ATL

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I'm not posting this to start any arguments, but the Troubadours and Bottle Rockets are playing some shows together in March. They are a good fit.

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Never heard of the Turnpike Troubadours, but if they have the good sense and good taste to lash up with SV, then that's a good sign. Hope the show is in fact sold out and that it generates a bunch of new SV fans....I'd go myself if I thought they were playing a full show, but I'm guessing Jay will only get 45 mins or so...

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I disagree regarding the Turnpike Troubadours. They are nothing like Mumford and Sons or the Avett Brothers. Their songs are much more in line with James mcMurtry or Chris Knight.
I abhor Mumford and bands that sound like them.

Listen to "The Bird hunters", "The Housefire", "Bossier City' or their cover of john Hartford's "Long Hot Summer Day". Nothing like Mumford or anything of that ilk.

And I Love jay and SV as much as anyone, but they are not playing many 6,000 seat venues. They will that night and it will probably be near capacity.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

ThrasherBear wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing Jay in any circumstance, and hearing Andrew's new stuff. Hope they come back to the Sweetwater.
Son Volt opening for "Turnpike Troubadors"--seriously? Never heard of 'em. Assumed they were some "Highwaymen" like supergroup. Nope.
Jason Isbell on ACL this weekend. Set your DVRs.
Yeah, Turnpike Troubadours sound like every other new hipster, so-called "alt-country" outfit... Right in line with the Avett Bros. and Mumford and Sons. Bleck...

Tim in the ATL

ThrasherBear

Post by ThrasherBear »

I'm looking forward to seeing Jay in any circumstance, and hearing Andrew's new stuff. Hope they come back to the Sweetwater.
Son Volt opening for "Turnpike Troubadors"--seriously? Never heard of 'em. Assumed they were some "Highwaymen" like supergroup. Nope.
Jason Isbell on ACL this weekend. Set your DVRs.

amzie

Post by amzie »

Yes, thank you, Antelope850 and turpentim.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Antelope850 wrote:Andrew is opening the shows. He has a new solo album coming out soon.

I believe it's Gary Hunt with Jay. They just added a residency in Park City, Utah in April and those shows say Jay with Gary Hunt. The Chicago show also says Jay with Gary.

Would be cool if Andrew came out for a song or two with Jay/Gary.
Awesome! Thanks for the update.

Tim in the ATL

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

turpentim wrote:Son Volt's Facebook page just announced the upcoming Jay Farrar show as "Jay Farrar Duo w/ Andrew Duplantis." Not sure if this means that the other half of the duo is Andrew Duplantis, or if Duplantis is opening the show for Farrar and his as-of-yet-unknown accompaniment.

Tim in the ATL
Andrew is opening the shows. He has a new solo album coming out soon.

I believe it's Gary Hunt with Jay. They just added a residency in Park City, Utah in April and those shows say Jay with Gary Hunt. The Chicago show also says Jay with Gary.

Would be cool if Andrew came out for a song or two with Jay/Gary.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Son Volt's Facebook page just announced the upcoming Jay Farrar show as "Jay Farrar Duo w/ Andrew Duplantis." Not sure if this means that the other half of the duo is Andrew Duplantis, or if Duplantis is opening the show for Farrar and his as-of-yet-unknown accompaniment.

Tim in the ATL

amzie

Post by amzie »

Sounds good to me, especially if you are young and attractive. Do you have skills, ct?

ct

Post by ct »

The wait is over!

It's me, I'll be part of the J Farrar dou, just finalized the deal yesterday.
:lol:

Merry Christmas message board people !