Straightaways reconsidered

megaballs

Post by megaballs »

Trellis wrote:Still my favorite SV album! It was the first one I heard, and I got to see them in Montreal when it was still relatively new, so there's a big nostalgia thing for me and the album too. jay and the gang looked so cool. As others have pointed out, those first five tracks are simply amazing.
. Jay became virtually my favorite musician-yeah I got like 25 others but folks here know what I mean-maybe 13 years ago and this album ...SV1...did it

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

:D No Replacements (somehow I missed them). Gene Clark and Carla Olson "So Rebellious a Lover"; The Long Ryders "State of Our Union"; Pink Floyd "The Final Cut".

The first 60-70 are pretty easy, then it gets more like a toss of the dice. But it was fun. I have the list on my phone "notes" app, along with a short list of candidates. So quick and easy to manipulate. I used to have three Free albums on the list but am now down to one (Fire and Water). Just heard Highway again the other day...and am thinking of putting it back on. That's easy enough except having to knock something off. Should Houses of the Holy get the chop? Etc. Tough decisions!

I had New Multitudes on , too, but not anymore. If it was just the second bonus disc...hmmm...it could still be there.

ThrasherBear

Post by ThrasherBear »

Tokyo Fan wrote:
Okeman wrote:Just curios Tokyo, what is currently #1 on your list?
There is no top of the list as I figure perfection is perfection. Having said that...yeah, some albums are more vulnerable than others. It's very fluid with, in theory, no album safe from the hatchet.

In terms of numbers by decade:
60's-- 14 albums, probably etched in stone. No vulnerables at the moment.
70's-- 53 albums, this is the decade that gets whittled away
80's -- 5 albums, lean pickings, including two Waterboys. Probably safe.
90's -- 14 albums, the rise of alt-country.
00's -- 11 albums, alt-country mostly (three Drive-by Truckers)
10's -- 3 albums, with 2017 being a good year for me. Old 97's and Roger Waters. If I was too hasty in bestowing accolades it's okay. Like I said, it's a fluid list with candidates waiting to knock an album off. (CS&N couch album, for example, is lying in wait. One false move and there could go Rory Gallagher "Taste").

I'm 60 years old so that is probably evident by the decade stats.

Only 5 from the 80s? I assume the other 3 are all Replacements albums. :D

Okeman

Post by Okeman »

Ha Ha, great stuff, thank you... That sounds like quite an interesting endeavor. I may have to take a stab at something similar, just to see where it takes me.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Okeman wrote:Just curios Tokyo, what is currently #1 on your list?
There is no top of the list as I figure perfection is perfection. Having said that...yeah, some albums are more vulnerable than others. It's very fluid with, in theory, no album safe from the hatchet.

In terms of numbers by decade:
60's-- 14 albums, probably etched in stone. No vulnerables at the moment.
70's-- 53 albums, this is the decade that gets whittled away
80's -- 5 albums, lean pickings, including two Waterboys. Probably safe.
90's -- 14 albums, the rise of alt-country.
00's -- 11 albums, alt-country mostly (three Drive-by Truckers)
10's -- 3 albums, with 2017 being a good year for me. Old 97's and Roger Waters. If I was too hasty in bestowing accolades it's okay. Like I said, it's a fluid list with candidates waiting to knock an album off. (CS&N couch album, for example, is lying in wait. One false move and there could go Rory Gallagher "Taste").

I'm 60 years old so that is probably evident by the decade stats.

Okeman

Post by Okeman »

Just curios Tokyo, what is currently #1 on your list?

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I recently went on a Jay binge and ended up documenting it by putting a playlist together (The Cream of Jay Farrar) on Apple Music. I think the entire Trace album made the cut...and then six tracks apiece from Straightaways and Wide Swing Tremolo.

Straightaways songs:

Back Into Your World
Left a Slide
Caryatid Easy
Picking Up The Signal
Creosote
No More Parades

Straightaways, too, is still hanging on to a spot on my personal Top 100 album list (while WST was on at one point but got cut).

Okeman

Post by Okeman »

"Picking Up The Signal" destroys. Love Jay's vocal.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Great album. Back Into Your World is one of my all time favorites.

6StringBeliever

Post by 6StringBeliever »

Excellent album. One of their best.

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

Trellis wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za64md- ... ture=share

Vintage Left a Slide!
So good

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

widespreadchanges

Post by widespreadchanges »

Yeah Son Volt, Thanks for the soundtrack to my life and loss in the 90's. You got driven n a car .alone. If I ever have friends coming over again I'll trick them into listening by telling them it is better than 80's...yes I am gonna onna say rREM..and Danzig Lucifuge

criminals

Post by criminals »

My least favorite of the 1.0 records, but still damn good. And that is only because Trace and WST are that incredible. As a matter of fact least favorite probably a poor choice of words. Left A Slide, Picking Up the Signal, and Way Down Watson my favourites in that order.

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

Still my favorite SV album! It was the first one I heard, and I got to see them in Montreal when it was still relatively new, so there's a big nostalgia thing for me and the album too. jay and the gang looked so cool. As others have pointed out, those first five tracks are simply amazing.