FULL UNION STREAM

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

The album is up on streaming services now.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

turpentim wrote:’The Symbol’ is absolutely heartbreaking. Listened to it at the gym today and could hardly hold it together. This particular track is one of Jay’s strongest efforts ever, lyrically and vocally. If there were any justice in the world (there’s not), it would become an anthem for all who oppose *rump’s Draconian immigration policy and proposed monument to racism.

Tim in the ATL
Yes, it is beautifully done with the backing harmonies and the exceptional musicianship of all. Perfect.

The last three songs: Rebel Girl, Slow Burn and The Symbol, quite the finale.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

’The Symbol’ is absolutely heartbreaking. Listened to it at the gym today and could hardly hold it together. This particular track is one of Jay’s strongest efforts ever, lyrically and vocally. If there were any justice in the world (there’s not), it would become an anthem for all who oppose *rump’s Draconian immigration policy and proposed monument to racism.

Tim in the ATL

mtruslow

Post by mtruslow »

I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed in the tempo of the album. It's kind of like a dirge. I'm sure that I'll like it the more I hear it.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

jeffc17 wrote:The accordion sound is probably just a voicing on the keyboard. It fits in with the "latin" theme of the dispossessed immigrant. That said, all the ornamentation on here is really well chosen and understated. Between Chris and Mark, all the color is very complementary.
Thanks. I just listened to the song again and was wondering just that, whether it could be from a keyboard.

jeffc17

Post by jeffc17 »

The accordion sound is probably just a voicing on the keyboard. It fits in with the "latin" theme of the dispossessed immigrant. That said, all the ornamentation on here is really well chosen and understated. Between Chris and Mark, all the color is very complementary.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

"Union": gripping and rather pensive (?), beautiful guitar playing, one of those "hang on every word" songs.

And I really like the instrumental "Truth to Power Blues" interlude.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I really like that last track, The Symbol. Is that an accordion being played? I checked out AllMusic, for the credits, and don't see anything accordion-like. One of the reviews mentioned it being similar to Woody Guthrie's "Deportee", and, yeah, I thought of that song at the beginning.

Holding Your Own, Rebel Girl...very nice.

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

Hearing these songs in sequence, how Son Volt arranged
these songs, really brings out the narrative to my ears. Far too often
a one or two mp3 download is made over the course of an albums
worth of material. To my knowledge Son Volt never strays from a
cohesive statement over the full length of its releases. Reality Winner
and The Reason sound perfect where they sit. My first take.

I can’t wait for my personal copy and Son Volt next month in Columbia!

Thanks

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Man Broadsides is gonna be terrific live--it's gotta make the set list. Hope they jam the hell out of it with lots of room for dueling steel and electric slide guitar solos! Could serve as the set fulcrum a la Ten Second News...

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Come home late from a long day at work to the FULL STREAM. Wow. Love the way the entire record hangs together. Another masterpiece from one of the country's greatest living artists.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

‘While Rome Burns’ is a thing of staggering beauty. My goodness.

Tim in the ATL

turpentim

FULL UNION STREAM

Post by turpentim »

I know Redsun already posted a link to this review in Garden & Gun, but he buried the lead a bit in not making it more clear that YOU CAN NOW STREAM THE WHOLE ALBUM at the link!

https://gardenandgun.com/articles/strea ... lbum-union

Tim in the ATL