Son Volt streaming live tonight

megaballs

Post by megaballs »

Left a Slide, that Bakersfield show is gonna be special. Check out the locale, it’s attached to a record store and should have plenty of seats. Tix on sale May 18th. Should bring out the best out of Jay, Mark and everyone really

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

My god this is wonderful. Medication is fantastic. I guess I'll be driving to LA, SF or BAKO for this one!

megaballs

Post by megaballs »

I adore the nasty guitar licks on live version of "Union".
It’s like a new song.

mtruslow

Post by mtruslow »

Is it just me or was the whole show a bit more aggressive in tempo due to the slower nature of the songs from "Union"? I thought it was great.

Gold Rush

Post by Gold Rush »

I only listened to the first few songs of the stream. I'm seeing them in Chicago tomorrow, and I didn't want to get the full experience ahead of time. Really just wanted to hear the new Gob Iron song (it's outstanding).

The band is exactly what I expected having seen them a lot of times. I listened on my phone and my wife, sitting 15 feet away, commented about how great they sounded. Jay and company always deliver in terms of sound.

The setlist looks OK. I'm excited to hear the new tunes, but it looks like the middle portion of the set is pretty mellow. While I love all of Jay's output, I prefer the rockers live.

Can't wait to see them tomorrow night!

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Re: no messing around. Just prior to Caryatid Easy, Chris can be seen practically running to change guitars. It's a good thing he did because Jay doesn't even glance around to check and see if the band is ready (and he doesn't switch his own guitar), just starts up!

Then, after Route, Mark puts down the guitar and sits back down at the keyboards. Jay, again, doesn't even bother to confirm that everyone is in position and ready to go.

Super efficient. Take no prisoners.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I've started to watch it a second time and realized I'd forgotten to mention a thought or two.

Jay's vocals. Couldn't ask for better. His voice sounds as rich and full as ever.

Waterloo; that high-timbered vocal is what he did on Jet Pilot. Similar.

The segue between Sinking Down and The Picture, Mark's organ, very nice and effective.

The Reason. Mark shines on this.

Union: the intro is completely different from the album version, isn't it? Jay's vocals are outstanding and the guitar work, first from Chris and then the interplay between Chris and Mark on his lap steel (? I hope I'm right on this) is exquisite.

That's as far as I've gotten this second go-round but I've got to hand it to the band. For something that was streamed live, they really all hit home runs.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Antelope850 wrote:The song Union is awesome live. Was not expecting that.
Just read your comment after I posted my own thoughts. Yes, I agree.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

It kept buffering on me last night but fortunately is up o YouTube. Watched it all at the crack of dawn.

As always,no messing around. I've never seen a band more efficient.

I was thinking John Kay with the sunglasses, but Orbison fits, too. His solo performance, at the radio station, seemed to show a bit of an eye infection. I'm guessing that's why he's wearing the sunglasses.

Highlights for me:
The 99. A terrific opener.
Union. Mesmerizing. I thought better than the album.
Waterloo. Love it.
Medication. There's a lot going on here. Very intricate. Excellent musicianship. Completely different from Bryson version where he used those clubs to propel the song (which I liked as well!).
World Waits For You. Beautiful.
Route. What can I say.
Monkey Man. I was so happy to see this.

jeffc17

Post by jeffc17 »

Fucking A Mark Spencer, great work on Caryatid

Okeman

Post by Okeman »

sawyer wrote:they sound great. Love the stream. Jay reminds me of Roy Orbison with the dark glasses. Posting this during Drown. Trying to watch this and Caps-Canes 2nd OT.

I immediately thought of Roy Orbison as well. Thought they sounded fantastic. Psyched for Asheville...

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Fantastic sound and video. Great crowd. New songs sound terrific. Vintage Volt!

sawyer

Post by sawyer »

they sound great. Love the stream. Jay reminds me of Roy Orbison with the dark glasses. Posting this during Drown. Trying to watch this and Caps-Canes 2nd OT.

Monkeygunner

Post by Monkeygunner »

Damn that's a good fucking song been meaning to pick that up, thx