Cruising with Son Volt

All night station

Re: Cruising with Son Volt

Post by All night station »

If anyone is interested in next year's cruise, you need to join the pre-sale. Everyone who went the year before has first dibs on the next cruise. The 2021 cruise again departs from Miami with stops in Belize and Mexico. It expands to 6 nights.

Would love to see Son Volt return, but most bands are not included in back-to-back years, except for regulars like Steve Earle, Lucinda, Dale Watson and the XM Outlaw Country DJs who also perform (Elizabeth Cook, Mojo Nixon, Shooter, Dallas Wayne, Jim Lauderdale and Paula Nelson).

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I couldn’t figure out how to stream it (like Antelope) but here’s one song: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... nd-949682/

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

I went to siriusxm.com and was able to stream the guitar pull, even though I don't subscribe to sirius. It's really good. Jay sounds great.

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Great write up! Sounds like a terrific time. Glad SV fans were there in force. Wish I'd been there!

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

That sounds like a fantastic cruise. Thanks for the report.

All night station

Cruising with Son Volt

Post by All night station »

Just back from the Outlaw Country Cruise, and Jay and the band were in outstanding form. (Mark Spencer, Jesus.) Son Volt played twice, once in the theater and once on the big top side stage.

Jay also took part in a "guitar pull" with Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams and Raul Malo, which was held in the theater, where the acoustics are very good. Jay couldn't have been in better form, as his voice enveloped the room on Windfall, Still Be Around, Tear Stained Eye and something else (damn alcohol), earning a big, warm, extended response. None of the others, and that's a weighty group, had a better set of songs to offer.

The first Son Volt show went heavy on the last two albums and then ended with the classics -- Windfall, Drown, Route and Afterglow 61 (I forget the order). The outdoor show went deeper into the catalog, including Chickamauga and Caryatid Easy, before ending in a similar way. The crowd singalong on Windfall was very impressive, and I think the band felt that. Almost everyone on this cruise is very much into music, and there were plenty of Son Volt lovers.

I might have misplaced or dreamed a fact or two (damn cannabis suckers secured at a Key West dispensary and snuck onto the boat), but I think it is all correct. Big thing is, it all just ended too fast.