The apocryphal Mr. Farrar

google

Post by Guest »

geoff - i've come across some interesting interviews with jay. do a google search on "jay farrar interviews". i agree, i'm intrigued by anyone who writes songs the way he does. great stuff.

Daze Inundated

Post by Daze Inundated »

Jay and Jeff once gang-banged my sister in a grain elevator. How's that for personal info?

P.S. Kidding... just kidding.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

I am friends with a friend (perhaps I should say an aquaintence) of his and she says he's a pretty clever guy actually.

I feel like a spreadhead now.

*cringe*

geoff

Post by geoff »

Oh, and thanks to those who actually did provide information rather than deride my post. I have all of the reissues/anthology and they do provide some good background on Jay/Jeff but as a fan, you always want more. It's hard to say what exactly I'm looking for but I'm always interested in the personal history of my favorite artists. Jay seems like a tough nut to crack is all.

geoff

Re: Buffalo ebonics

Post by geoff »

momo wrote:The new album owns? Is that a Buffalo attempt at a catch phrase? Are you the only person left in that dead empty town? Buffalo. Town slogan should be NOW AS EXTINCT AS ITS SLAUGHTERED NAMESAKE.
For your information, the Buffalo is not extinct and people still live in the city of Buffalo, named not for the beast of burden, mind you, rather, taking it's name from I believe the Seneca tongue that translates roughly into "Beautiful River." So, there's your little lesson, oh sardonic one.

Anyway, the new album LEASES.

WITH THE OPTION OF PURCHASE.

No, really, the record is very good and I can't stop listening to it and I figured I would be a silly head and use some jock-type hyperbole in contrast to the understated beauty of Jay's elegant new baby.

The new album, SMOKES?

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

Verily.

half

Post by half »

personally, I think we should all go back to the Ye Olde English style of talkin'.

doth ye concureth?

loosestring

Post by loosestring »

Owns seems to be a new slang among the youngins. I've seen it a lot on discussion boards.

half

buffalo bonics

Post by half »

i wish i could come up w/ a word like that, on my own, turnin' a verb into an adjective or something like that.

this album TAKES...?

Dan

Post by Dan »

Have you read the liner notes to the UT reissues and Anthology? They provide a pretty decent musical biography of Jay. I'm sure there are others here who know more about him. Here's what I know-grew up in Belleville, Illinois. Has 3 older brothers, all of them played in bands growing up. His father, "Pops" Farrar had quite an amazing life-Merchant Marine, world traveller, excellent musician in his own right. Jay went to Belleville West High School, graduated in '85. Married with children. For his musical story, you really should read the liner notes to the reissues and Anthology.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

Damn.

momo

Buffalo ebonics

Post by momo »

The new album owns? Is that a Buffalo attempt at a catch phrase? Are you the only person left in that dead empty town? Buffalo. Town slogan should be NOW AS EXTINCT AS ITS SLAUGHTERED NAMESAKE.

geoff

The apocryphal Mr. Farrar

Post by geoff »

Does anyone have any biographical information on our friend Jay? I'm interested in knowing more about the person and the origin of his writings. I suspect him to be a quite guarded individual due to his laconic mic breaks during live shows. I want to know what makes you tick, Farrar!

sincerely,
geoff in buffalo

P.S. The new album OWNS.