bach's out of wilco

scalzunfield

Post by scalzunfield »

I happen to like the Loose Fur project a lot. Something quite different and very interesting. I listen to it more than I listen to TB or Rainy Day Music these days (although I totally wore RDM out and that's probably the reason).

wilco1836

Post by wilco1836 »

Its not a good thing. I'll never understand the whole avante garde thing. Hello its not cool or nor does it show some kind of genius to play bad and out of tune. Sqeak squack squak sneep thong doot. That Loose Fur album sounds like what happens when friends bring kids to my house and they find my instruments. Recording music that sounds like someone just broke a string then ran to a piano and bashed out a bad version of chopsticks and then mumble incoherent lyrics over it sould not be praised or encouraged.

If Loose Fur was released without mention of its notable members nobody would have cared. I like Jeff's music but thats as far as it goes, just because he farts into a mic doesn't mean its the next art rock heavy music statement.
Last edited by wilco1836 on Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChiDavid78

Post by ChiDavid78 »

When I first heard Handshake Drugs I thought the song could almost fit next to Hits of Sunshine on SY's A Thousand Leaves album. I do see the Jim O'Rourke mix creeping in now that JB is out of the songwriting process.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

thats, cool, i never knew that about UT and Kurt. From a west coast perspective, I might be able to argue that no UT/nirvana or mudhoney comparisons were made because no one knew who UT was, not enough for anyone to make a comparison anyways. Of course, this is from my perspective in san diego, and i was too young to know then anyway, but I know few people here who even know who UT was.
Could it be also that UT just wasn't "cool" enough to draw comparisons? I think as far as the nature of "grunge" was to the public that iit was pretty anti country (to most listeners who couldn't distinguish alt.country from garth brooks).
just thoughts.

SonWilco

Post by SonWilco »

keith21 wrote:jeff's solos as of late are great. im sure its not directly intentional, but they're very steve turner-esque. and that guitar sound on im the man who loves you is so identical to buffalo springfield-neil its scary.
Fun comparison! Its amazing Uncle Tupelo didn't get lumped into that genre of Mudhoney and Nirvana considering their similarities. I remember reading an old interview with Kurt Cobain where he said he liked UT. The light and heavy formula was applied by all three bands UT just twanged more. The scary thing is Neil has almost influenced everything or already done it. Tonites the Night has so many things that remind me of music that came after it and I don't think anybody has gone out of their way to rip him off he just covered so many bases. Does anybody know if UT shared any bills with pre Nevermind Nirvana or Mudhoney. Those three bands played lots of shows in 89-90.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

jeff's solos as of late are great. im sure its not directly intentional, but they're very steve turner-esque. and that guitar sound on im the man who loves you is so identical to buffalo springfield-neil its scary.

DS

Post by DS »

Tweedy is a better guitar player than I am, but he is no lead player, IMO.

I saw it posted somewhere, maybe this thread, the best Wilco lineup included Jay Bennett and Bob Egan. I have to agree. I don't care what they say, a laptop is not an instrument.

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

So he's being a little "artsy"...... If Jay can have fun with Space Junk (which I enjoy), Jeff can play a little chopped up solo. Anyway, it fits the song.
But I know what you mean... I just have faith in Jeff's integrity.

wilco1836

Post by wilco1836 »

grainpulp wrote:I always thought the Handshake Drugs solo is supposed to be a little unmelodic and stripped down. Maybe that's just me. I'm sure he could have played it a little more straightforward.
Ahh, the Sonic Youth influence maybe? A solo that sounds like Jeff is playing one song when the band is playing another. Deliberately unmelodic so as to make some kind of art rock statement perhaps. The point of my original post was that this influence is creeping in.

scalzunfield

Post by scalzunfield »

wilco1836 wrote:Jeff is an OK player that wasn't blessed with quick fingers or the dexterity to play complex lines. He himself would probably tell this same thing. Some are born with it and some get better with time and practice. Does he suck, no. But he is never going to be a virtuoso like Bennett. His timing is a fucked up on the Handshake Drugs solo and it gets a bit unmelodic and falls apart towards the middle.
Have you by chance heard the studio version of this too? That's the way it's supposed to be. It's not supposed to be a "cookie cutter" solo like everything else. It's improved, sometimes in and out of tune and it sounds outstanding, something different from what we're used to hearing out of Jeff. At least we get a solo out of Jeff because I haven't heard any by Farrar lately.

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

I always thought the Handshake Drugs solo is supposed to be a little unmelodic and stripped down. Maybe that's just me. I'm sure he could have played it a little more straightforward.

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

(meant to be sung along to the tune of Wilco's "Heavy Metal Drummer)

VERSE 1:
Oh I sincerely miss Jay's chatroom fans,
I used to read their posts in the winter and the summer,
said "Wilco lost it's drummer,
Yeah Wilco lost it's drummer,
Named Leroy Bach...."

VERSE 2:
But a shiny bright guy with bleached blond hair,
Named Saratoga Jay by the track in the summer,
said "Bach is not the drummer,
no Bach is not the drummer,
no Bach is not..."

CHORUS:
I miss the idiots I've known (wooo oooo heyy)
The ones that think that Wilco's overblown

I miss the idiots I've known (wooo oooo heyy)
Say Jay's a god but Jeff is overblown...

GET OVER IT!! Wilco lost another multi-instrumentalist.... oh NO!!! What will Jeff do now? My bet is on another trifecta of great albums, no matter who the damn multi-instrumentalist is. Why? Because Jeff is a creative genius, that's why. No disrespect to Farrar, by the way... in fact, I prefer Farrar to Tweedy, but it's not by a landslide. I hope they both continue making great music, in whatever guise it may be, 'til they're both long in the tooth....

P.S. I would appreciate an objective rating of my songwriting parody above. Where do I compare with Dylan?

wilco1836

Post by wilco1836 »

Jeff is an OK player that wasn't blessed with quick fingers or the dexterity to play complex lines. He himself would probably tell this same thing. Some are born with it and some get better with time and practice. Does he suck, no. But he is never going to be a virtuoso like Bennett. His timing is a fucked up on the Handshake Drugs solo and it gets a bit unmelodic and falls apart towards the middle.

cleanslate

Post by cleanslate »

I am also skeptical of O'Rouke and his ultimate influence in Wilco. Loose Fur also was a Tweedy and O'Rouke job, although I was very impressed by that. I just hope too much of the Sonic Youth influence doesn't creep in I will puke. Also, BAch was a very important member of Wilco and was not the drummer. It is always nice to have your story straight when popping off.

scalzunfield

Re: not good

Post by scalzunfield »

wilco1836 wrote:I was a little freaked out by the Soundstage program. It seemed like Wilco was trying to sound like Sonic Youth and face it Jeff is not a guitar player with the god given talent to freestyle. I almost laughed when I heard him do those aweful solos I swear my dogs were looking at the TV funny. The new direction towards a noisy sound is not a good one.
Disagree 100%. Jeff is an excellent guitar player. I don't think Jeff wants to sound like Sonic Youth. Has he ever wanted to sound like anyone else before? And which solos are you talking about? If you're talking about Handshake Drugs and I'm The Man Who Loves You, you should probably listen again.