Jay the Introvert

Post by Guest »

Longslowfade-
I know Mitch and Zach well. I guess Zach will have touse that degree now. Shangri-La is great. Also, Greg Cartwright from The Reigning Sound and the Oblivians opened a place on Young called Legba Records that's pretty amazing.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

Yeah, it was a cultural haven here in Oxford. Part of the town died when they shut their doors. I was at that show too (Proud Larry's). Good times, good times.

RobUA03

Post by RobUA03 »

I didn't know that Uncle Buck's closed. I passsed by it when I went to see Jay at Proud Larry's. It seemed like it was a pretty cool store, similar to Vinyl Solutions here in Tuscaloosa.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

Ryan wrote:It might be hard to separate the two when some of the songs are about poltics and war.
Which is exactly where those topics SHOULD be addressed by artists.

We just totally jacked this thread didn't we?

loosestring

Post by loosestring »

friggin activists

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

It might be hard to separate the two when some of the songs are about poltics and war.

jbwilm

Post by jbwilm »

Post that crap elsewhere Montana-Bitterroot. I thought Jay's website was about music and not politics.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

If I wanted to be preached to I'd go to church. If I wanted propaganda I'd turn on the TV.

Montana-Bitterroot

Post by Montana-Bitterroot »

Well, Bush sucks and people should be made aware of what is going on.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

Yeah. We haven't had a record store in Oxford since Buck's closed in November. Well, there was that place in the mall but... well, it was in the mall. I'm not paying $18 for anything unless it's a double CD. Did you know any of the guys that worked there? I used to live in Memphis myself (Midtown IS Memphis, right?). These days when I buy music I drive up to Memphis and make a day of it (Shangri-La, usually). There is going to be a new record shop opening up on the Square pretty soon, I understand. Hope they sell vinyl like Buck's did.

Post by Guest »

Oxford, MS, huh? Who is this? I live in Memphis, but grew up in Tupelo. You sad about Uncle Bucks?

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

No doubt about it. I go to shows to hear music, not hear what the lead singer thinks about war, abortion, etc. It's insulting to me as a fan when people use the fact that they have a mic to teach me, the feeble-minded audience-meat, a thing or two about the way things are. A week or two ago my roommate had an extra 5th row ticket to Pearl Jam in Little Rock so I went. Eddie Vedder wouldn't shut up about Bush, the West Memphis 3, etc. Eddie saw a lot of my middle finger that night.

Jeebs

Post by Jeebs »

I hear ya... I've heard a lot of people complain about how Jay doesn't interact with the crowd at a show, but it's not really why I see live music. I hate seeing artists think they're a talk show host or a fricking comedian or something they're not. I love it how Jay just moves from one song to the next, playing music for people who love his music. The man is a true musician. Gotta love him.

D360

Post by D360 »

I agree.

Im not looking for rock star idols, just good song writers. And Jay is one of the best.

Thanks for all the great song, Jay.

Willy

Jay the Introvert

Post by Willy »

It makes me laugh to hear all the criticism Jay gets for being an introvert. You have to respect a guy who plays music because he loves it, and doesn't go around tooting his horn all the time. I think the music speaks for itself.