Brandon Butler

County Line

Post by County Line »

Isn't Dead Flowers a Townes Van Zandt song? I'm only guessing 'cause I like to watch The Lebowski.

County Line

Post by County Line »

Besides his lap steel, one of the most enjoyable parts of Brandon's presence while playing with Jay was his animation. With six guys on stage tearing it up, it was nice to see one of them showing how much he was enjoying putting out the good sounds.

Hank Snow

Sticky Fingers

Post by Hank Snow »

That was an Andy Warhol cover, and quite awesome.

Sticky Fingers to me is THE STONES ALBUM, better than Exile, though they are both fantastic. I just think SF is the best overall thing they ever did. Moonlight Mile, Sister Morphine, Dead Flowers, Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, Knocking, just incredible that all of that is on one Album. That was back in the day when bands still made ALBUMS.

Great stuff. I would love to hear UT doing Dead Flowers. Great song!!!

cowboydown

Post by cowboydown »

Yeah, Stinky, er, Sticky Fingers had a great cover of a jean crotch with a real "working" zipper. Vinyl albums RULE!

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Ron Wood wrote Mystifies Me. UT has covered Dead Flowers by the stones. Dead flowers is a great song on Sticky Fingers.. One of the more country Stones tunes. Great stummer song on a guitar. Sticky Fingers is great too btw.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

Oh I could be exaggerating. Maybe it was the beer. He was big though.

They (Canyon) did have a great sound though, and it sucks to see them go.

I am hoping to catch one of the shows this next leg with Brandon.

cowboydown

Winkle in time

Post by cowboydown »

Brandon didn't seem that big to me. six feet maybe but barely, if that. stocky and/or a lil' chubby. Likes to drink maybe that was it. His voice was noticable when off. I'd say he fit some songs but for the most part his vocals are lacking. Suprised Winkle's not going with him. Thought they were a team.

Hank Snow

Big

Post by Hank Snow »

He is over 6 feet, I would say way over. He stood beside me before going on in Dallas, and just seemed huge. I am 5'10 and he was way bigger and not thin. I wouldn't say offensive lineman huge, damn those guys are huge, but he was bigger than Jay and bigger than me.

I bet than Joe Winkle doesn't even weigh 120Lbs.

there is anything wrong with being an offensive lineman.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

what the f@ck is wrong with offensive linemen???? :evil:

bentonbourbon

Post by bentonbourbon »

Is he really THAT big of a dude?
You all make him seem like a offensive lineman or something..
Didn't look that HUGE in the DVD
just curious

Hank Snow

Mystifies Me

Post by Hank Snow »

Isn't Mystifies Me from Trace written by Ron Wood? Was it a Faces song or what?

I thought I was Mr. Music trivia but I don't know where that song came from.

Hank Snow

personal hygeine

Post by Hank Snow »

When I saw Brandon in Dallas in January, he was wearing the same shirt as when I saw him in Austin in September...maybe this was it.

Like I said it was weird to hear his voice coming out of that huge body, but it was cool. That one song they did first in their set, I have it on several recordings but don't know the name of it. That one is just a killer. I don't think it was on any of their albums. Ends with "YEah ain't it the most".

As far as Chinese democracy goes, I find it amazing that Velvet Revolver can kick out an album in less than a year that is really great, and poor old Axl can't get anything done in over 10 years of trying.

Speaking of the Rolling Stones....one of my favorite songs that just came up on my MP3 player is "Moonlight Mile", just a fantastic song. I wonder what Jay thinks of the stones, if they were any type of influence, if he ever covered anything by them??? Keith has got to be just about one of the best rhythm gutiarists out there, though anything they did after about 1974 or 75 is worthless.

Just rambling as usual.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

perhaps they grew tired of the tattoos??? :shock:

Barnum

Post by Barnum »

Hmmm. Wonder why they kicked him out?

While his voice wasn't the strongest, it totally fit the band - fragile music played at varying degrees of loudness. To disagree with Hellonearth, I think his voice made them distinctive - and that's what I liked the most.

Yeah, well, here's to 'em.

Anybody want to talk about "Chinese Democracy?"

Just kidding.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

I liked his voice, although it sure didn't fit his physique. He was a big old dude to have such a high voice.

I was listening to their version of Cortez the Killer the other day, and while his voice is lacking on that one, the guitars are just incredible.

It will be interesting to hear what they do next.